Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If you could go back in time to any game, what game would it be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I would have loved to see Babe Ruth point to the outfield.
You mean "if" he pointed to the outfield.
Because he most likely didn't.

Out of all the reporters at that World Series game, only one reporter wrote that Ruth called his shot, and other reporters say that reporter exaggerated to sell papers.

Amateur video shot that moment shows the pointing, but isn't clear if it was at the outfield or pitcher.

Ruth's teammate, catcher Bill Dickey, said Ruth did not call his shot.
Washington Post columnist Shirley Povich, detailed in an interview with Dickey: "Ruth was just mad about that quick pitch, Dickey explained. He was pointing at pitcher Charlie Root, not at the centerfield stands. He called him a couple of names and said, "Don't do that to me anymore, you blankety-blank."

The story by only one reporter, particularly irked Root. When he was asked to play himself in the 1948 film about Ruth, Root turned it down when he learned that Ruth's pointing to center field would be in the film. Said Root, "Ruth did not point at the fence before he swung. If he had made a gesture like that, well, anybody who knows me knows that Ruth would have ended up on his ass. The legend didn't get started until later."

Root's teammate, catcher Gabby Hartnett, also denied that Ruth called the shot and said Ruth was pointing at Root.

In 1942, during the making of The Pride of the Yankees, Cubs outfielder Babe Herman was on the movie set as a double for both Ruth (who played himself in most scenes) and Gary Cooper (who played Lou Gehrig). Herman re-introduced Root and Ruth on set and the following exchange (later recounted by baseball historian Donald Honig), took place:

Root: "You never pointed out to center field before you hit that ball off me, did you?"
Ruth: "I know I didn't, but it made a hell of a story, didn't it?"

Last edited:

tkd7

Jan 7, 2014
This game-
img295.jpg

First game this 9 year old kid ever went to. If I could go back and relive that feeling of walking through the runway from the concourse to the seat for the first time and seeing that big colorful baseball field it would be awesome. I grew up with black and white TV and never realized that they played the game in color.

One thing I hate about the new ballparks with the open concourse is that the feeling of walking through the runway and having the field revealed to you in an instant is gone.

The details of the game are gone over my nearly 40 years, but that feeling of walking into a stadium for the first time will always remain.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Ruth's called shot game, to make up my own mind on it. PLUS, it would have been a great graphing day!
DANNY

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013
The last game of the 61' regular season for the Yankees when Roger Maris became the true single season hr. Leader!!

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I think it's probable Ruth didn't call his shot, so if you were there and saw it, it would be a let down.

I'd choose a different controversial game: September 23, 1908, Cubs at Giants: Merkle's Boner. It would be interesting to see what actually happened, plus there's the bonus of seeing Christy Mathewson pitch.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
There is film of the Called Shot, and it's more like him waving at the Cubs dugout. Still, don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

Of all the hypotheticals people come up with on this board, this is a really good one. I think I'd like to see Larsen's Perfect Game from the 1956 World Series. Can you imagine the tension? But then maybe the game in '51 when Mantle blows out his knee. I could yell out to him to watch out and just let Joe D take every ball. Or Mays's catch in the '54 Series. Or 1986 World Series game 6. Or 1980 WS Game 6. Or Ty Cobb's debut. Or the 1933 All-Star Game. I think I'll just go back to 1895 or so, start collecting cards and going to games, becoming the greatest venture capitalist ever. Then I'll be able to see them all, and have the funds to prolong my life to see my own birth, which will be weird but worth it.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
There is film of the Called Shot, and it's more like him waving at the Cubs dugout. Still, don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

Of all the hypotheticals people come up with on this board, this is a really good one. I think I'd like to see Larsen's Perfect Game from the 1956 World Series. Can you imagine the tension? But then maybe the game in '51 when Mantle blows out his knee. I could yell out to him to watch out and just let Joe D take every ball. Or Mays's catch in the '54 Series. Or 1986 World Series game 6. Or 1980 WS Game 6. Or Ty Cobb's debut. Or the 1933 All-Star Game. I think I'll just go back to 1895 or so, start collecting cards and going to games, becoming the greatest venture capitalist ever. Then I'll be able to see them all, and have the funds to prolong my life to see my own birth, which will be weird but worth it.

Winner lol

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Dpendola

Apr 16, 2013
October 3rd 1951..Giants vs Dodgers. Bobby Thompson's "Shot heard round the world." That would have been an amazing game have experienced.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
July 2, 1963 Braves -vs- Giants
The game began with Juan Marichal and Warren Spahn each throwing 15 Innings of shutout ball. Marichal made it through the 16th unscathed, but with one out in the bottom of the 16th, Willie Mays took Spahn deep with a walk off homer to end the game 1-0. Combined, Marichal and Spahn threw 31.1 IP. It will never be done again. Marichal had a Game Score of 112 while Warren Spahn had a Game Score of 97. I believe their combined Game Score of 209 is the highest in MLB history.

Last edited:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Extremely biased opinion here and I know that some already were AT this game, but Sept 6, 1995 for me. Cal Ripken's 2131st game. I was at 2129. He hit the first home run of three consecutive games. It was magical. I can't even fathom what 2131 was like. [MENTION=1816]All In Cards[/MENTION]?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Also if you ask this question in 25 years, people will say game 6 of the 2011 World Series.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Game 1 1995 NBA Eastern Conference Finals

Sitting next to Spike Lee as Reggie Miller goes off for 8pts in 9 seconds.ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1390014136.826587.jpg

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
2131 was amazing!!!! until Peter got up and talked.

15min standing ovation and clapping the whole time. Seeing Cal get pushed out of the dugout by Palmerio and Bonilla and seeing the victory lap. And we thought spending $100 a ticket was kind of crazy back then, I couldn't imagine what that ticket would go for today.

Latest posts