Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yasiel Puig MLB Network's top RF in the game today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Hosmer being on the Dodgers is irrelevant. He said nobody would notice if Puig was in KC. I was saying he's wrong. Anyone recall the astronomical prices on Hosmer chrome autos? They still sell over $100. His point was people wouldn't notice. My argument is that talent gets noticed. Who plays in LA is irrelevant to that argument.

Edit to note- Hosmer is a top 10 player at his position, at the age of 23.

Not trying to cause problems, but I disagree with you here. IMO, 2013 was Hosmer's year to show that he could be that kind of player, but not sure if he performed, especially with his first half of the season. To me, he needs to raise his OBP by about 30-40 points to be relevant in that conversation. In turn, it'd increase his OPS, which at 1B is low for him. Only had 79 RBI's last year, that number would need to increase. He could be there in a year or two, but right now he would be outside of my top 10.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I guess you forget that Alex Gordon was once the most hyped rookie in the game.

The card market and hype have little to do with MLB performance.

The Royals had highly touted prospects for years because they were an awful organization that drafted high in the first round.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Not trying to cause problems, but I disagree with you here. IMO, 2013 was Hosmer's year to show that he could be that kind of player, but not sure if he performed, especially with his first half of the season. To me, he needs to raise his OBP by about 30-40 points to be relevant in that conversation. In turn, it'd increase his OPS, which at 1B is low for him. Only had 79 RBI's last year, that number would need to increase. He could be there in a year or two, but right now he would be outside of my top 10.

Had the hitting coaches been replaced earlier in the season, that may have been a reality. Those guys had everyone screwed up, including Butler and Gordon. Once they were fired, Hosmer took off. I don't expect board members to agree with me, but many others do. He's 24. His RBI total was equal to Votto. His OBP will likely come up, if the second half of last season is an indicator. He's 24, he'll develop for 2-3 more years. And he hit well in clutch situations. I'm obviously biased, but I'm perfectly happy with what our 24 yr old 1b is giving us, and looks to give in the future. Firmly believe he is top 10.

Puig, though, if people could get beyond that first month he wouldn't be on that list period.

edit to note you might check Hosmer's babip and notice how unlucky he was as well, for a very large part of the season :)

Last edited:

Zan

Aug 12, 2008
NY, NY
Had the hitting coaches been replaced earlier in the season, that may have been a reality. Those guys had everyone screwed up, including Butler and Gordon. Once they were fired, Hosmer took off. I don't expect board members to agree with me, but many others do. He's 24. His RBI total was equal to Votto. His OBP will likely come up, if the second half of last season is an indicator. He's 24, he'll develop for 2-3 more years. And he hit well in clutch situations. I'm obviously biased, but I'm perfectly happy with what our 24 yr old 1b is giving us, and looks to give in the future. Firmly believe he is top 10.

Puig, though, if people could get beyond that first month he wouldn't be on that list period.
Just saying, I'm a Mets fan, and I was a huge Ike Davis fan when he was about to hit his stride. And he's still young. Sometimes it just doesn't click, or whatever happened to Ike

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Royals had highly touted prospects for years because they were an awful organization that drafted high in the first round.
You're taking my quote out of context.
Sam wrote, "If Puig played for Kansas City nobody would have any clue who he was."
I replied that's not true, because Alex Gordon was famous as a prospect and rookie even though he played for KC.
(Performance was not my point, as Sam implied that rookies in KC are anonymous to most fans.)

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS

That's really not a good argument. Baltimore was an awful franchise and drafted high for many years. Very few of their draftees were highly touted :)

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Just saying, I'm a Mets fan, and I was a huge Ike Davis fan when he was about to hit his stride. And he's still young. Sometimes it just doesn't click, or whatever happened to Ike

I ain't mad lol. Just saying there's a lot to Hosmer's season last year. Starting with the fact the original hitting coach was trying to make him a ground ball/line drive hitter. That's not his approach. He has 25-30 HR power right now. Why not use that? It was ridiculous. Once Brett took over, he added a bit of an upper cut to his swing, and numbers went up across the board. He's two years younger than Goldschmidt, and numbers are better at the same age. Just saying. I actually like people downplaying him. Hoping at some point it'll make his chrome autos affordable.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
We can't say Hosmer would have had a great season if the hitting coach were fired sooner, yet discounting that Puig had a historical first month.

Kind of hypocritical.

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
We can't say Hosmer would have had a great season if the hitting coach were fired sooner, yet discounting that Puig had a historical first month.

Kind of hypocritical.

If you go read what I said, I didn't say Hosmer WOULD have had, I said it MAY have been a reality. That indicates it's a possibility.

Puig did have an awesome first month, then Puig did suck balls after that. Those are facts.

All I was saying.

Either way, this has gotten way off track to "nobody would've noticed if he was in KC", which is the argument. Numerous guys have been noticed in KC, for almost 40 years.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Listen I'm far from a Puig lover but to say he sucked balls after June is a stretch.

I'm on my phone so I could only grab AVG

.436 June
.287 July
.320 Aug
.214 Sep

.349 Postseason

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
Listen I'm far from a Puig lover but to say he sucked balls after June is a stretch.

I'm on my phone so I could only grab AVG

.436 June
.287 July
.320 Aug
.214 Sep

.349 Postseason

Batting average is one star. Juan Pierre was a career ,300 hitter.

What was Puig's babip, OBP, ops and K rate after June when to power numbers plummeted? Also on my phone, but I'll grab em in a few.

Kid has potential to be good. I don't believe he deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as the top guys though.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
What are you guys even arguing? The Orioles have had a few highly touted draft picks and so have the Royals. Hosmer and Bundy were two of the hottest buys on the planet during their respective peaks. An argument made against either team is dumb.

Members online

Latest posts