User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russell Wilson 2014 bowman rangers card

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least it's thinking outside the box. I hate the airbrushing, but other than that, I have no problem with it. He's one of the top-10 hottest NFL players right now. I suppose you guys want another XXXXing Bryce Harper or Puig autograph Oh, I know, how about another round of a bajillion miniature cards that don't fit in anything and don't really add value to a set...

I agree that maybe they could do this as the annual SP set in Topps Series 1; good idea.
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

Trade album Personal Collection

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when hockey player Eric Lindros was in the 1990 Score Traded set?
    The card showed him taking batting practice with the Blue Jays.

Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Hendersonfan
     Hendersonfan24
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no problem with the Lindros either. Or the Billy Crystal card from a few years ago. They wore those uniforms. Wilson never wore a Rangers uni and that drives me nuts.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendersonfan View Post
    I have no problem with the Lindros either. Or the Billy Crystal card from a few years ago. They wore those uniforms. Wilson never wore a Rangers uni and that drives me nuts.
    Lindros never played a game in the minors, even though he was drafted by Toronto.
    He chose hockey over baseball and signed an exclusive deal with Score.
    Then before one Blue Jays game, he put on a Jays jersey and hit batting practice for the Score photographer.
    Last edited by Austin; 01-19-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Hendersonfan
     Hendersonfan24
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know he didn't play ball, but he at least wore it while hitting BP.

This notice is required by law.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now if Topps and Bowman only made cards of players that actually played in the MLB then you would have something to stand on, but since they make cards of players that have been drafted, and he was drafted by the Texas Rangers, then I guess that allows Topps to make a card of him..

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know he didn't play ball, but he at least wore it while hitting BP.
    I just don't understand why you're so upset about it. You've made about eight posts in this threads complaining about it.

It's just a fun card. Who cares if Wilson hasn't worn a Rangers jersey? Lots of Bowman cards show prospects with a Major League jersey airbrushed on.
    It's just fan service for Rangers and football fans and there's nothing wrong with it.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinbreaker View Post
    Now if Topps and Bowman only made cards of players that actually played in the MLB then you would have something to stand on, but since they make cards of players that have been drafted, and he was drafted by the Texas Rangers, then I guess that allows Topps to make a card of him..
    Technically, he was drafted by the Rockies (the Rule 5 draft isn't a real draft, it's a nerdy GM garage sale/swap-meet). He'll likely never wear a uniform of any Texas affiliate at any level, hence the airbrushing IN of the Rangers' logo.
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

Trade album Personal Collection

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the only problem I have with the idea is that it appears Topps is spreading their gimmicks to Bowman instead of letting the real prospects/rookies do the selling. While it's Bowman labeled, why not insert it in flagship Topps since that's the Home of the Short-Printed Gimmicks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Topps is trying to add value to the product as well as boost sales and get people talking about the product....and it is working.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Russell Wilson becomes a fantasy card like this Jackie Robinson. I think gimmicks like this, Russell Wilson, or the Jeter/Bush or the Giuliani/Red Sox card are just that - gimmicks. No real interest from me. I'd rather have the squirrel sitting on top of the foul pole card.

tigerstrength01
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He never played any game for the Rangers or any affiliate of theirs. Having him in a Rangers uniform is stupid. He played all of his 93 minor league games under Rockies teams.
    This. It feels like a forced dumb idea like they're trying to cash in on the Deion card idea from last year's weak nfl draft class.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

tigerstrength01
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markakis8 View Post
    I'm surprised we haven't seen Brady in an Expos uni. Come to think of it, I'm surprised Topps hasn't released a set with football players who were drafted in the MLB in their respective unis.
    Totally need a Roscoe Crosby Royals card now. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

moxacaine
     moxacaine
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    who cares about the gimmicks? i dont see why all the ill will towards them as theyre only added value to a product if you hit one. if you dont have any interest in owning one then dont buy one. as we've seen in the past, people eat up gimmicks and pay good money for them. if you want to talk about dumb what about the stupid royal baby card? at least wilson is sports related. either way its added value.

jbhofmann
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why doesn't Topps publicize the fact that they featured him on a card 4 years ago?

It rubbed me the wrong way because people will see Darren Rovell tweet it and they'll think this is his first baseball card.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast