Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this a steal of one of the poorest quality sets ever made?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aupt

Apr 16, 2010
They were "distributed" by direct sales to collectors at shows and in ads in some of the hobby papers. They are unlicensed and give "broders" a bad name.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Interesting. I've never heard of those sets. How were they distributed?

Arthur

They were supposedly distribute in Ajax Dog Food, but I have my doubts that the company even exists. I think it was some dude in his basement in Minnesota who was fond of Twins rookies since Hrbek made it into the 1983 and Lenny Faedo was in the 1984.

I think we had a thread on these a while back, but here's some up close scans of these beauties.

1983AjaxDogFood.jpg

1984AjaxDogFood.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Reminds me of the California All-Stars Big Apple card co. I bought several sets back in the day because Garvey was in it. I have seen people battling for them, most likely for Will clark, pushing set or single prices into triple digits! In fact, there is a Clark listed now for a crazy (in my mind, but then again i already have it) price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Will-Clark-1986-California-All-Stars-BIG-APPLE-CARD-COMPANY-Rare-Private-Issue-/390615928457

Being a fan of oddball, that Ajax set is something I would buy, but not for what they might typically sell for (your price would be a no-brainer). Have never come across one myself, but then again, i have never gone looking for it as it didn't have anyone in the set i needed/wanted, I guess.

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about. That's easily on par with the quality of today's best topps and panini products offered.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Reminds me of the California All-Stars Big Apple card co. I bought several sets back in the day because Garvey was in it. I have seen people battling for them, most likely for Will clark, pushing set or single prices into triple digits! In fact, there is a Clark listed now for a crazy (in my mind, but then again i already have it) price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Will-Clark-1986-California-All-Stars-BIG-APPLE-CARD-COMPANY-Rare-Private-Issue-/390615928457

Being a fan of oddball, that Ajax set is something I would buy, but not for what they might typically sell for (your price would be a no-brainer). Have never come across one myself, but then again, i have never gone looking for it as it didn't have anyone in the set i needed/wanted, I guess.

The quality of the Ajax cards make the 1985/86 Big Apple sets look pristine.

Members online

Latest posts