Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1998 Zenith Z Gold numbered /100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kid4hof03

Jan 10, 2014
Burlington, NJ
Hi guys, I'm finally doing some organizing work on my Bernie Williams PC, trying to get everything in binders so I can enjoy it more and have more of a handle on what I am still looking for and I noticed today that I have two different copies of 1998 Zenith Z Gold, one is numbered to 100 on the back and the other is not. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these, is one more difficult to find than the other, are the unnumbered ones an unmarked promo of some sort? Any info you guys have would be great. Thanks!

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
I agree with what Bunchobull said. my personal opinion is that there must be no more than 100 of the unnumbered copies, assuming a 1:1 replacement ratio, and likely less.

given the infrequency with which these cards pop up I'd recommend going nabbing what you can find if the price is right. I have both the Piazza #d and NNO versions but have never seen either of Pedro Martinez.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
One the reasons the '98 Z Golds are so tough is because they are only found inside the 5 x 7 cards. So essentially you have to destroy another card to find one of these. These were the "rip" cards of the 90's.

I have a feeling many of these are contained inside the 5 x 7 Z Silvers and the 5 x 7 Z Golds (which also happen to be #ed to 100).

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
98_cruz_68of100.png

98_knoblauch_52of100.png

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
One the reasons the '98 Z Golds are so tough is because they are only found inside the 5 x 7 cards. So essentially you have to destroy another card to find one of these. These were the "rip" cards of the 90's.

I have a feeling many of these are contained inside the 5 x 7 Z Silvers and the 5 x 7 Z Golds (which also happen to be #ed to 100).

I broke a box of this a little while back. All the inserts were in the middle 5x7 including the 5x7 inserts (which were also always the middle 5x7). I broke open the two 5x7 Z-Silver's out of curiosity but they both had base cards. My guess is that there are no regular issue inserts inside insert 5x7's.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I'd agree that the unnumbered were bankruptcy auction items. Both my 5x7 and regular Z-Golds are numbered out of /100. I was told by dealers that broke the product that they had no better odds pulling silvers and golds from the Impulse 5x7's than they did from the base 5x7's.

98ZENITHDARETOTEARGOLD100.jpg

97ZENITHZGOLD.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
just felt like showing some Z-Gold off this morning as well :)

1) 5x7 Gold Impulse, serial #d 31/100 (Piazza's jersey)

CopyofPiazzaMike_1998ZenithGoldImpulse5x7.jpg
PiazzaMike_1998ZenithGoldImpulse5x7_31_back_zps79e8803f.jpg

2) Regular Mike Piazza Z-Gold with serial #
PiazzaMike_1998ZenithZ-Gold_028.jpg

3) Regular Jeff Bagwell Z-Gold with serial #
BagwellJeff_1998ZenithZ-Gold_93_zpsf8925e5e.jpg

Kid4hof03

Jan 10, 2014
Burlington, NJ
Thanks for the information guys! I really am enjoying this board, learning a lot and so impressed with the player collectors here. Since I started the thread I figured it was only right for me to show off my Zenith Bernie's :D

1998 Bernie Zenith.jpg

1998 Bernie Zenith gold impulse.jpg

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Def tough cards , as are the 97 Diamond Edition Pinnacle Inside cards. The way of distribution and the fact they weren't broken a lot make them tough finds for player collectors. I still need both Clark's.

Ryan

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
How sad am I? I just got $30 worth off eBay and can't wait to bust them! Busting addiction strikes again :confused:

Be wary of purchasing loose 5 x 7 cards in the hopes of finding inserts inside. These cards were searchable with a flashlight in a dark room (if they contained base cards the light shone through the card if it was an insert the light didn't shine through). I wouldn't touch any opened product as it's more than likely been searched.

Last edited:

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Def tough cards , as are the 97 Diamond Edition Pinnacle Inside cards. The way of distribution and the fact they weren't broken a lot make them tough finds for player collectors. I still need both Clark's.

Ryan

Definitely agree about the 1997 Diamond Edition Pinnacle Inside cards. Still need an Eric Young for my Rockies team set - have never seen one. Another super tough issue is the 1997 Donruss Team Sets Pennant Edition - there's still a few Rockies players I need for a team set and have never seen them. Star players seem to pop up more often but this set is very under appreciated.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
just felt like showing some Z-Gold off this morning as well :)

1) 5x7 Gold Impulse, serial #d 31/100 (Piazza's jersey)

CopyofPiazzaMike_1998ZenithGoldImpulse5x7.jpg
PiazzaMike_1998ZenithGoldImpulse5x7_31_back_zps79e8803f.jpg

2) Regular Mike Piazza Z-Gold with serial #
PiazzaMike_1998ZenithZ-Gold_028.jpg

3) Regular Jeff Bagwell Z-Gold with serial #
BagwellJeff_1998ZenithZ-Gold_93_zpsf8925e5e.jpg

What you should do is sell me that Bagwell!

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Definitely agree about the 1997 Diamond Edition Pinnacle Inside cards. Still need an Eric Young for my Rockies team set - have never seen one. Another super tough issue is the 1997 Donruss Team Sets Pennant Edition - there's still a few Rockies players I need for a team set and have never seen them. Star players seem to pop up more often but this set is very under appreciated.

Ugh you serious ? From the scan I still have , I sold this back in April....

ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1390880350.553628.jpg

Not sure the odds that of the two I sold in the last year, one is the card your missing. If I come across another ill let you know.

Ryan

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Ugh you serious ? From the scan I still have , I sold this back in April....

View attachment 29306

Not sure the odds that of the two I sold in the last year, one is the card your missing. If I come across another ill let you know.

Ryan

Yep that's it. First time I've ever seen one. I've had that saved to my eBay front page search for years and it's never popped. :eek:
I've had all the other Rockies players for this team set since the 90's - the Young is the only one I've needed.

Members online