User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Items that players refuse to sign?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense just like Doug Flynn with the 1986 topps card.. he's signed more than 1... Charity related may only be 10 out there

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Varitek will no longer sign the pick of when he shoved his glove in Arod's face. He said it was giving the wrong message to kids that fighting is OK.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." Abraham Lincoln

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay Buhner won't sign the sports illustrated with him and his son. That is what I had heard before but I know there are copies that he has signed out there

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr. Mike Marshall won't sign, like, anything. Or does he offer sigs through his pitching school? Vague recollection of that. Maybe non-signers is a separate thread. I'm not a big autograph chaser at all, but I really wish I had scored one of his Sweet Spots in the last decade. Wow, there aren't any on ebay active OR completed. That's tuff stuff, to coin a phrase.

Is it Robin Ventura or Nolan Ryan, or both, who won't sign that picture?
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A guy on sportscollectors.net has private signings with Dr Mike Marshall but he's like $100 or $150 in that area.. I've seen the Ventura and Ryan signed by both but Ventura is the one that may not sign it now.. I thinks I remember seeing it signed my Ryan someone sent to his foundation not to long ago...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by predatorkj View Post
    Let's see...Latroy Hawkins and Mack Brown(ex UT football coach) both refuse to sign index cards. Sam Cassell won't sign basketballs and neither will Tim Duncan. From what I've been told, a lot of football players have stipulations on what they will and will not sign. Mostly it's on multi signed items where they don't want to sign or will charge a crap load more to do so. Rust Staub will not sign jersey's. Craig Biggio is very iffy on whether or not he will sign a bat(most of the time it's no). Hunter Pence will not sign a protective cup(yes...some chick actually tried). Jamal Charles doesn't like to sign anything with a blue sharpie(not sure why). Earl Campbell will now only sign "E. Campbell" unless it's a paid signing. James Harden will not sign OKC stuff anymore(from what I hear).

The list could go on for pages.
    Hmmmm...Reason why?
    RoncalliJetsForever9096822
    HOFer Craig Biggio-1469/4879-29% Craig Biggio Card Site
    HOFer
    Derrick Brooks-260/773-33% Derrick Brooks Card Site

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggioBrooks755 View Post
    Hmmmm...Reason why?
    Let me preface this. This goes back several years and I've had to piece what I know together via several long time auto hounds and dealers. So none of the info had come straight from Biggio. All I know for a fact is even at Tristar, he has refused to sign bats before. At free signings, I've seen him sign all of three since 2007. Not to say there hasn't been more. But I've been to all the free events he's been at except one. And the three were for really long time Astros collectors who've been collecting since before Biggio made it into the league.

Supposedly his home was broken into and several game used bats were stolen. The next Tristar show that came up, a man approached him at the signing table with a game used bat that looked awfully familiar. He questioned the guy repeatedly wanting to know how he obtained it. The guy said he'd gotten it through a sunshine kids charity auction and had all the paperwork at home. Supposedly Biggio signed it but from there on out has refused to sign any bat, whether it be a gamer or just a cheap $20 Rawlings big stick from Academy.

Personally I think he'd be ok just refusing gu stuff but to refuse a big stick bat that was obviously just purchased at a store is a bit ridiculous. And I actually saved three friends the trouble because he was at minute maid a year or two ago and they all wanted bats signed. I told them to all bring something else as a backup. Sure enough he refused to sign any bats.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

dmarren
     DPMsportcards
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carlton Fisk will not sign his 1991 Score Record Breaker card for some reason. This was awhile ago, might have changed by now but Magic wouldn't sign any cards, but did sign a plain piece of paper.

GrumpsDugout
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to a few signing events where players refused to sign plain index cards. It's always been a last-ditch idea if I don't have any photos or cards or don't think I'd want to buy a baseball for them to sign.
    Grumps Dugout: Coming Soon

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tribefan26 View Post
    Albert Belle used to refuse to sign Joey Belle cards - I think this is still the case.
    I know Albert will not sign anything with "Joey" any longer but as for if he will sign an item which says "Joey Belle" I'm not sure. He obviously doesn't do shows or TTM or anything, so tough to say what he would or wouldn't do today if he were to do a public signing in Cleveland or something. I think he has softened up a little and would probably sign something that said "Joey Belle" but he wouldn't sign that name, which I don't think is bad.
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Entire Private Collection: 2,627/2,891 - 90.9%

Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim Lincecum will not sign bats. I have a team signed 2010 World Series Champions bat that I was going to get signed by him, but was told by Lefty's (where they were doing a private signing with Lincecum) that he would not sign bats.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lisu View Post
    Tim Lincecum will not sign bats. I have a team signed 2010 World Series Champions bat that I was going to get signed by him, but was told by Lefty's (where they were doing a private signing with Lincecum) that he would not sign bats.
    At least you found that out before you bought it.I have heard Brett won't sign '85 Royals stuff, can't verify that though.

dodgers105
     TenaciousJDD
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned, but Skip Schumaker doesn't sign the Rally Squirrel card. I saw him turn down a couple at spring training last year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousJDD View Post
    I'm surprised it hasn't already been mentioned, but Skip Schumaker doesn't sign the Rally Squirrel card. I saw him turn down a couple at spring training last year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Did not know that.I remember 2 years ago reading an interview about that.Didn't seem to like it for whatever reason.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marshall originally signed for a guy names Bill Corcoran. Lately Chris Potter has had at least two signings with him now and the price was $185 the first time and I believe it's down to $150 this time. It's this type of thing that bugs me about some of these guys. Marshall has the right to refuse to sign and he doesn't even need a reason, but he claims that he just doesn't understand or care for the whole autograph scene and would rather interact with someone (he'll freely answer questions for you through his website). Yet, it is now apparent that he will sign at his discretion, but only for a hefty price.

The value in his signature is solely in the scarcity factor. Yes, he was an all-star and various set builders, team collectors or other theme collectors would add him to various sets, but the more he signs, the less his signature is worth. If he does allow the supply to catch up with demand, then they will sell for a reasonable price. A along as he keeps the price high, the demand will be high only to those willing to spend that kind of money for an OK player.

Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    Dr. Mike Marshall won't sign, like, anything. Or does he offer sigs through his pitching school? Vague recollection of that. Maybe non-signers is a separate thread. I'm not a big autograph chaser at all, but I really wish I had scored one of his Sweet Spots in the last decade. Wow, there aren't any on ebay active OR completed. That's tuff stuff, to coin a phrase.

Is it Robin Ventura or Nolan Ryan, or both, who won't sign that picture?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast