Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official MIKE PIAZZA Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
My only Piazza pull
PIAZZAMIKE.jpg

and my only pedro Martinez pulls
MARTINEZPEDRO2.jpg

NIXON%20TROT_zpsnoub3xfw.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
had some big maildays in the last couple months and finally sorted, scanned, and ready to share!

most were picked up as a lot, and I was happy to see they had a bunch of cards I was looking for to fill in some gaps in my checklist.

first the 1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary #d to 50 - the second card from the left - it's not huge, but it helped me finish the rainbow of 1998 bowman cards for Mike Piazza. Surprisingly I picked up the bowman chrome golden anniversary refractor (#d to 5, far left) before this one:

MP3_zpsaqdcfngx.jpg

Next, I picked up the 1998 Topps Gold Label Class 2 and Class 3 red cards, #d to 50 and 25, to finish this rainbow. i don't know why the foil lettering on his name is silver in the Class 2 and Class 3 vs. gold on the Class 1:

Piazza20Mike_199820Topps20Gold20Label20Class20120Red_66_zps1om050s5.jpg
Piazza20Mike_199820Topps20Gold20Label20Class20220Red_28_zpsplruowmc.jpg
Piazza20Mike_199820Topps20Gold20Label20Class20320Red_16_zpsx0q4vklw.jpg

moving on, picked up a bunch of cards serial #d to 1 of something, which I thought was pretty neat. Cards were 1998 Donruss Elite Status GEN, 1998 Flair Legacy Showcase Collection Row 0, and 1998 Flair Showcase Perfect 10 (my second one!):

Piazza20Mike_199820Donruss20Elite20Status2012120GEN_1_zps7rst2vb5.jpg
Piazza20Mike_199820Flair20Showcase20Legacy20Collection20Row200_1_back_zpsp8int1wh.jpg
Piazza20Mike_199820Flair20Showcase20Perfect2010_1_zpsd6hmsgqg.jpg

and these two came together as well. Though i collect Mike Piazza, i had never previously owned a copy of his 1993 Finest Refractor (despite a friend of mine growing up who had multiples, i remember he bought tons of 1993 Finest but I was stuck buying wax boxes of Fleer and Donruss!) Part of the reason I had never acquired one of these cards was because I was looking for one with strong eye appeal, and I know that centering, refractor lines and discoloration can all be found on these cards. very happy with this, though i would prefer raw over PSA 9.

Piazza%20Mike_1993%20Finest%20Refractors_PSA%209_zpsj6tkk6wm.jpg

Very happy to nab this too, and at what I thought was a fair price. I know that the Flair Showcase Masterpiece cards have some backdoor variants (purple foil, unstamped backs) or potentially in some cases multiple "1 of 1" cards floating around due to after market stamping. But this one looks legit.

Piazza%20Mike_1998%20Flair%20Showcase%20Masterpiece%20Row%200_1_zps9txl20mc.jpg
Piazza%20Mike_1998%20Flair%20Showcase%20Masterpiece%20Row%200_1_back_zpskisjeuhi.jpg

then I got this one which was listed way back in December. it got stuck in the mail over the holidays, then i missplaced it before i could scan it and temporarily lost track of it. i knew it where it was, just couldnt find it because it was stuck to the back of another slab...

PiazzaMike_1996SelectCertifiedMirrorGold30_PSA9_zps4147f6b8.jpg

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
^Nope. I was originally focused on Piazza GU Dodgers cards rather than cards of him in Mets or other unis, but that is a sweet one!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Mike-Piazza-1.jpgOne that may have been discussed before, here or elsewhere. I obtained a finest type card originally from the ultra pro plastic sheets. I believe you got one card per box of 100 sheets when they were newly issued. There were 4-5 regular (and very ugly) cards with Mike in street clothes and then a pretty cool finest card. The one I got was a refractor though and I had never seen any mention of a refractor before. I later found a few more, so I assume they were probably unannounced "inserts". They are never very expensive and they look exactly like the regular finest counterparts, front and back, except one is a refractor and one isn't. I don't think they are too uncommon, but definitely not as common as the other Ultra Pro cards. Anyone know more about the card?Mike-Piazza.jpg

Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
View attachment 58106One that may have been discussed before, here or elsewhere. I obtained a finest type card originally from the ultra pro plastic sheets. I believe you got one card per box of 100 sheets when they were newly issued. There were 4-5 regular (and very ugly) cards with Mike in street clothes and then a pretty cool finest card. The one I got was a refractor though and I had never seen any mention of a refractor before. I later found a few more, so I assume they were probably unannounced "inserts". They are never very expensive and they look exactly like the regular finest counterparts, front and back, except one is a refractor and one isn't. I don't think they are too uncommon, but definitely not as common as the other Ultra Pro cards. Anyone know more about the card?View attachment 58104

I remember them, esp the ugly base cards. Can't shed much light though. I do wonder it Ultro Pro commissioned Topps to create them?

Ryan

Sonic311

Jun 14, 2016
Paramount, CA
Yes congrats to Piazza, well deserving of being in the HOF.
Great ceremony and speech. Brought back some memories of the times I watched him play with the Dodgers.
He was the man here and in New York. Maybe one day he'll be open to being honored in Dodgers Stadium.

Sonic311

Jun 14, 2016
Paramount, CA
Thought I'd get this thread going again by sharing my latest BGS submission. I sent these in right around the time of the HOF Induction.
The scans don't do these cards justice, they look awesome in hand.

My 1st BGS 10 in the Piazza PC
1st graded of this card

Another Illuminator

1st graded of this card
One of my favorite cards but very undervalued imo.

Yet another 1st graded.
I'm looking for the rest of the Prized Collections.

And last but not least.....

Last edited:

Sonic311

Jun 14, 2016
Paramount, CA
Just got these Piazza's back from BGS. Not as good as my last submission but happy to have them slabbed.

These Pinnacle gold APs are tough to GEM MINT

The peel caused this one to grade this low but its PC so its ok. Might pick up one with no peel in the future.

Sonic311

Jun 14, 2016
Paramount, CA
It's been a pretty good last couple months for the Piazza PC. I was able to cross off a couple rare cards from the want list and received nice grades on my latest BGS submission.

First the new pick ups.

1998 Ultra Platinum Medallion /100

Metal Linchpins

Pacific Dynagon Titanium /99

1997 Pacific Silver (Print Run: 67)

And now the newly graded cards

Members online

Latest posts