User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitness guru's and pros....workout routines

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Fitness guru's and pros....workout routines

I've been cycling and running for about two years now (though I really don't like running). I would like to add some weight training to my workouts. What are some good routines that you guys recommend. In other words, what muscle groups do you work out on which days? How many days a week? If I want to tone (not necessarily build) muscle, what is the best way to go about that?

I've tried to do some research but read so many different things.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't go to a gym, but I lift and exercise at home. I've done all of the P90X and Insanity type of exercises. The best way to tone is lower weight and more reps. Also, when you do your cardio, you may want to consider doing it with a weighted vest. That will remove additional fat and allow the muscle tone to get defined a little more.
    My 2001 FOTG Season Collection

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm used to be a personal trainer at Golds. Depends on how many days a week you want to train. You want to break it up accordingly.
    For example, a 4 day routine:

- Monday : chest and triceps
    - Wednesday : Back and biceps
    - Friday : legs
    - Saturday : shoulders

You want to allow a MINIMUM of 5 days rest before you train a body part again. I take a full week. Abs are the exception because they heal faster. You can do 2 or three ab days a week as well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pushups and squats will get you lean and mean.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty Hope View Post
    I'm used to be a personal trainer at Golds. Depends on how many days a week you want to train. You want to break it up accordingly.
    For example, a 4 day routine:

- Monday : chest and triceps
    - Wednesday : Back and biceps
    - Friday : legs
    - Saturday : shoulders

You want to allow a MINIMUM of 5 days rest before you train a body part again. I take a full week. Abs are the exception because they heal faster. You can do 2 or three ab days a week as well.
    Thanks Ty. That's what I've been looking for.

Is it true that lighter weight but higher reps achieves a more toned look? Typically, how many sets is good to do? At what point is light weight too light?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk to [MENTION=1934]steve-a-reno[/MENTION] about proper supplementation. That guy has had phenomenal results and can hook you up with safe and effective top notch nutrition to take it to another level.

You can exercise 7 days a week but if you eat the grande meal from Taco Bell every day, you're cheating yourself out of optimal results. Fuel your body the right way and you'll get way more out of your workouts and see way better results.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    Thanks Ty. That's what I've been looking for.

Is it true that lighter weight but higher reps achieves a more toned look? Typically, how many sets is good to do? At what point is light weight too light?
    You don't want to do TOO many reps. You always need to challenge yourself and shock the muscles. Choose a weight that you fail (reach your limit) at around 8 to 12 range. Always keep good form though. As far as how many sets, no more than 3 sets per exercise. Usually 3 different exercises. So around 9 "work sets". That doesn't include warm-ups. You don't need to be in the gym any longer than 45 minutes to an hour.

From there, its all in your diet. I could go on for pages about a good diet, but basically use common sense. And get rid of sugars and simple carbs as much as possible. Up the protein intake too. Things like fish, chicken, tofu, lean beef, etc are the way to go. I would also cut back on dairy, even skim milk.

I went from 220 to 185 and am at about 7 or 8% BF now. My diet is STRICT as hell though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elmalo View Post
    Pushups and squats will get you lean and mean.
    And a jump rope.

steve-a-reno1
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks [MENTION=1721]All The Hype[/MENTION], it really has been a transformation. We simply help people use the same nutrition that professional athletes use. You can do anything to your body with the right fuel...lean out, build muscle, lose weight, get better workouts, better times, recover faster, the list goes on and on. I'd be happy to help if you'd like to talk.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've gotten the best results from interval jumping rope. I do 1 min of jumping with a 30 second rest. I am up to 35 sets of that. I also love the workout that I get from the heavy bag. 2 or 3 minute rounds with a min rest.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am happy those guys with the Advocare banners aren't forcing their stuff on us, so as a "non-seller" I have to say that Advocare was the most amazing aid in my transformation (305 down to 245 in about 4 months). I am 44 years old and am thankful to try something that just made so much sense, it was so easy, and was amazingly satisfying. I know 60 pounds in 4 months isn't the best results (many will say it was too much, too fast), but I never had a goal in mind. I just followed the program, worked out every day (also new for me). I did bike and treadmill almost every day, abs 5 times per week, and followed [MENTION=4103]TyHope[/MENTION]'s routine above almost to a T with only one day rest in between (4 days, one day off).

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good advice, especially working antagonist muscles to the ones previously worked. Too many people just go all upper body and then all lower the next day. Proper rest in between muscle groups is essential for the micro trauma to heal.

As for running, interval running is the best way to lose fat. Endurance running eats up muscle if you're not careful. So if you do endurance running, eat something with a lot of protein before hand(like if you are training for a marathon).

Diet is a big thing as well. I eat fish(mostly talapia), chicken breast, or turkey. Broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and onions for veggies.

Lost over 60 pounds so far.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zach View Post
    I've been cycling and running for about two years now (though I really don't like running). I would like to add some weight training to my workouts. What are some good routines that you guys recommend. In other words, what muscle groups do you work out on which days? How many days a week? If I want to tone (not necessarily build) muscle, what is the best way to go about that?

I've tried to do some research but read so many different things.
    i been lifting 3 or 4 heineken's every nite after work, i am in the best shape in years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I exercise to keep lean. Ride a stationary bike doing arm circles and lifting free weights (nothing over 10 pounds) and like Ty said, watch your diet. Increase your water intake, I usually drink around 100 to 160 oz of water a day. If I want something sweet Ill eat a trail mix or hit some dark chocolate. If you like soda and beer get it down to 1 a day.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinne View Post
    I exercise to keep lean. Ride a stationary bike doing arm circles and lifting free weights (nothing over 10 pounds) and like Ty said, watch your diet. Increase your water intake, I usually drink around 100 to 160 oz of water a day. If I want something sweet Ill eat a trail mix or hit some dark chocolate. If you like soda and beer get it down to 1 a day.
    Hell, I've gotten it down to once a week on the soda and once every three months on the beer. It's amazing how much better you feel after leaving the junk behind. Half the time, a burger or a soda doesn't even taste good to me anymore. I often wonder why I wanted to eat it so much after having done so. It's like my mind wants it but my body is saying nope.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast