Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Lets play a 'what if' game.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Ok, lets say you had a decent collection of cards, one that had some worth to it, and you simply wanted to give it all away. How would you go about it? Break it in to smaller lots and disperse? Unload it all at once to a fellow collector? Give it to the LCS to pass along? Just curious... Lets pretend here you are simply not willing to sell it and determined that you would rather give it all away, how would you go about it?

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I would give it to a dedicated collector, possibly that has children who are also passionate about collecting.
There's a sense of heresy surrounding the dismantling of a large collection.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I would give it to a dedicated collector, possibly that has children who are also passionate about collecting.
There's a sense of heresy surrounding the dismantling of a large collection.

That makes a lot of sense to me, I would be conflicted with separating it up. However, it would not be be easy to decide on who would get it. Part of me thinks it would be nice just to hold a contest, winner takes all.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I would give it to someone deserving...like some kind of charity that could do something with it and make others lives better... Not sure something like that exists, but at least you'd know what you had did some good

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I would give it to someone deserving...like some kind of charity that could do something with it and make others lives better... Not sure something like that exists, but at least you'd know what you had did some good

Also a good idea, I could see donating it to a hospice or a similar such avenue.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Also a good idea, I could see donating it to a hospice or a similar such avenue.

Yeah. Basically if the cards can't help someone I'd at least want them all to find proper homes, there are so many player and team collectors here that one could find the right place for a card or group of cards and know it is appreciated and will be kept for a long time.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I'd consider working with a local school to see if they could be used as motivation for good behavior or some other positive role. Or maybe to kids at a shelter who have almost nothing of their own.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I'd consider working with a local school to see if they could be used as motivation for good behavior or some other positive role. Or maybe to kids at a shelter who have almost nothing of their own.

Very good idea(s) also!

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos

My buddy actually does that, he is a former teacher and he is pretty connected into baseball, has written a few books, etc. and has an event once a year to raise money for his group that gives out college scholarships. At said event he brings in around 30 ball players and one of the things they sign for us are stacks of cards for the "Cards for Kids" program. He has a huge inventory of signed cards, and when kids read his book, they can write to him and get a card (encouraging kids to read). He also speaks in a lot of schools and gives out cards, and finally, all his teacher friends from being in the business can contact him, and if the kids have near perfect attendance, perfect behavior and attitude, and make a passable attempt at learning (most of these kids are inner city, so you can't penalize for bad grades) they can get cards too

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Assuming that i have nobody I know that would want the collection and it would go to a stranger otherwise, I would either donate it or raffle it off like a lottery (but where you didn't have to buy a ticket, i guess).

I have always thought it would be fun to break up a great collection and sell it dutch auction style, but in this case, there would actually be good cards pulled from the lots instead of most of the hyped up dutch auctions that claim great things come from them, but you couldn't find a single real person who got anything worth their bid price. Imagine the joy (over and over) of pulling something significant for a $5-10 bid.

Members online