Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Collector's Corner Showcase, Volume 1: BBCgalaxee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Mike, thanks for taking the time to answer. I'll get back to you to see who you'd like to see next week to take this survey.

1) When did you start collecting?

The late 70s when I was a young boy ....

and why do you collect?

it's in my blood for sure. It's just fun, which is what collecting is all about.

2) What was the turning point in your collecting?

Having my parents start me on cards when I was little.

What put you over the edge and made you completely focus on?

When I got into my early teens, I became a big collector, especially in 1987 with topps (my favorite set). Coincidentally, that was the start of the card boom.

I don't remember ever NOT KNOWING cards were worth something.

3) What has been the high point in collecting?

Hard to say. I thoroughly enjoyed having tons of "then valuable" cards from the 80s as a kid. And then opening boxes of bowman products a couple times a year.

The low point ?.....

Falling out of love with bowman chrome a few years back. I just can't get into buying a box filled with base cards no one wants and all for one auto.

4) What deal did you have slip through the cracks, that you regret ?

Guy came into my shop several years back with his childhood collection of 50s and 60s cards. There were multiples of all the stars. He really didn't want to sell even though I offered real money for it all. Haven't heard from him in years and he lives near by.

Why didn't it work out ?

I don't think he really wanted to sell.

5) What's your favorite piece / card in your collection ?

Even though I really collect promos and sample cards (over a thousand different spanning all sports and non sports), my favorite isn't one of those. Its a Ripken insert numbered 2131/5000 which I recently found in a dollar box.

Why ?

I've always wanted something completely unique and significant like this, especially from a 90s insert.

6) What's your wife / significant other / family think of your obsession (or collecting) for ?

she's got no idea and even if she did, wouldn't matter.

7) What's your white whale or just a card you can't seemingly track down or acquire ?

I'd love to actually find a 2002 topps Pujols with a correct photo on the back. Many people say they have it or seen it but never show it.

8) Have you met the player you collect and what was the experience like ?

I used to collect Mattingly and I met him in Hawaii (at a conference) in 2003. I knew he was going to be there in advance but didn't think I'd able to talk him. I felt like a ten year old girl when I saw him and was kind of speechless.

9) What is your biggest pet peeve about collecting?

That base bowman chrome prospects (and star cards) AND easy/easier Refractors of them are worth so little. Takes away the fun of opening boxes like I used to.

10) How have forums / eBay / COMC helped your collecting of _____ ?

Well I hate eBay but love fcb! I rarely ever bought on eBay and rarely sell on there.
But Fcb has helped me tremendously, especially when it comes to the "who's hot" lists during baseball season. Also, from the members who post new info regarding rarely seen (or known) cards.

How have they hurt ? Fcb hasn't, eBay is just as one sided as possible. It's actually kind of comical how bad it is.

11) How much competition do you face in your collecting of _____ ?

None, nearly no one collects promo cards across the board. Sure, player collectors chase their guy but that's it. When I look through bargain boxes at shows, there's no competition for these cards.

How often do you check forums / auction sites for your player ?

Rarely, that's because no one lists them. And since I have over one thousand different, it's hard finding some anyway. And at this point, I have no interest in getting every, or even most them, just buy what I like.

12) Any thoughts of ever giving up the collection ?

NO, I love it! And since I LOVE bargain box diving, I usually always come across them for pocket change at shows.

13) How has the generosity of FCB'ers or other forum / site members helped your collection ? Elaborate.

I've been offered some promos in the past, but nothing I needed.

Also, since you own a shop, here's a couple other questions:

Biggest pull from the shop ?

I've had a couple of Jordan autos found, many Jeter autos, tons of Harper autos and even two Ruth/thorpe duals.

But the best was a cut auto of "give me liberty or give me death" Patrick Henry.

Best card to come into the shop ?

Unfortunately, outside of what my usual guys bring me, every late 80s baseball and 90 hoops card ever produced has walked through my door. Seriously....I'm not kidding....for real.

Worst situation ever to happen in the shop ? (Disgruntled customer, bickering, what not)

I've caught thieves and have witnessed (and participated) in several verbal fights in the past. I've also had a couple of parents blame me for THEIR kid spending money in my store.

I've also had people walk in trying to sell me their precious 88 topps cards only to leave thinking I'm trying to rob them.

Hottest prospect to ever happen during your days as a shop owner ?

Shelley Duncan was insanely blazing. Obviously, being a shop in the Bronx made his cards even hotter. Bryce was also very very in demand even before he was drafted.

Hottest product to ever hit the shop ?

Hard to say, there's been so many, but 03/04 basketball issues were super hot along with 07 bowman chrome due to joba auto rc.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
It was a lot of fun answering the questions!

Thanks for the opportunity.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Excellent stuff. One thing I'd add: have the member taking the survey share 3 pictures that best summarize their collection. Don't need these bogged down with tons of scans and might get some interesting and creative card pics. But good read as always

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Excellent stuff. One thing I'd add: have the member taking the survey share 3 pictures that best summarize their collection. Don't need these bogged down with tons of scans and might get some interesting and creative card pics. But good read as always

Nice! I second this idea!

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
These are a few of my favorites.

These were the cards sent to mlb for approval. They look like gold beckett samples but font size proves otherwise1394586964610.jpg

My oldest, from the 50s1394587107184.jpg

Non labeled sample, logo on glove is missing on Reg issue1394587288340.jpg

And the ripken 1394587427138.jpg

Attachments

• 1394587127997.jpg
    1394587127997.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 19

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Duly noted on the pics. That's one thing I know I forgot to ask ... doh !

Members online

Latest posts