Lumberjack Bingo: (CONTEST CLOSED)
Welcome to Lumberjack Bingo. It's time to unleash your inner Paul Bunyan, baseball style!
Everyone's tree will be revealed before the end of the week. In the meantime, please take a moment to acquaint yourself with the game.
Harvest your tree as fast as possible to fill an important order from a prominent baseball bat manufacturer.
HOW TO PLAY
Your tree is 100% randomly generated, and is comprised of 15 branches + the trunk. Branches consist of 1 to 5 sections, while the trunk is divided into 2 sections. Each section features a baseball boxscore scenario from the 2014 season. Simply find an exact match for each scenario to clear the branch/trunk.
You must start with branch 1 and may only clear one at a time before moving down to the next branch.
Refer to the Tools of the Trade section for important links to be used throughout the game.
If you are having trouble clearing a branch, you have the ability to ditch your axe in favor of a chainsaw.
Each branch has 3 scenarios that will allow you to use your chainsaw to automatically clear the entire branch.
These scenarios are located on your game card, and include:
1. Your team hits 5 or more home runs in a single game
2. Your team strikes out 15 or more opponents in a single game
3. A future date. The more sections a branch has, the longer you will have to wait.
As soon as one of these scenarios are met, you have cleared that branch and may start working on the next one the same day.
As you can see, the first two scenarios are longshots, but if either one occurs, you will clear the branch much quicker than you normally would.
Scenario 3 is guaranteed if you wait long enough, but this should be your last resort.
Otherwise, continue clearing branches one section at a time with your axe by finding exact matches in the boxscores.
Chainsaws may not be used on the trunk.
The last stage of this game is the trunk. You may work on both sections simultaneously.
Once you clear both sides of the trunk, your tree has been harvested and is ready to be sent to the baseball bat manufacturer.
Please send me a PM with each section/branch confirmed with the date you cleared it. Please indicate if a chainsaw was used.
As a reward for your dedication and perseverance, the first 3 to harvest their tree will be given a wooden prize featuring one of two baseball stars hidden in the trunk of your tree. Please allow ample time for your prize to arrive.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
MLB.com must be used to verify all boxscores.
Game Score is used for branches 2 and 3.
Bombs Away is used to verify the daily home run leaders if you have this scenario in branch 10.
Lights Out is used to verify the daily strikeout leaders if you have this scenario in branch 10.
1. The most important rule of this game is that each of your scenarios must be an exact match to what is indicated.
2. Although I would prefer that you PM me at the end of the game once you think you have harvested your tree, I will make every effort to confirm after you clear an individual branch. Please be sure to confirm the dates you used to clear any branch/trunk.
3. For the Top Individual Batter branch, you must use the player with the highest number for that scenario. Let's use the scenario below as an example:
Same League Opp.
In order to cross this section off, you must have an St. Louis batter have exactly 2 strikeouts against a National League opponent. If one Cardinals batter has 2 strikeouts and another has 3 strikeouts, you cannot cross that space off. Always look at the single highest total for a scenario when attempting to cross the space off. On the other hand, if more than one St. Louis batter has exactly 2 strikeouts (vs. a National League opponent), that does count since the single highest strikeout total is exactly 2.
4. As mentioned previously, your tree may have a "Bombs Away" or "Lights Out" scenario in your Wild Card branch. These scenarios refer to the entire league on a particular range of dates. Simply go to the appropriate link in the "Tools of the Trade" section above and find the total number of home runs hit or number of pitchers who struck out 9+ on a date that fits your scenario.
5. For the 1st branch, the scenario features the initials of 6 major league batters and/or pitchers. To clear this branch, simply find 2 of those 6 players who meet the criteria shown in a single day. Simple as that.
6. For the 2nd and 3rd branch, simply go to the Game Score link in the "Tools of the Trade" section above and add up the scores for each of the four teams you have in each scenario. If that total is equal to or greater than 250, you have cleared that branch.
7. I'd like to clarify one scenario involving men left on base. If you get that scenario for an individual batter, just read his individual LOB number from his boxscore line. If you get Team LOB, you have to go down to the batting summary to get the number. For some reason, Team LOB is usually different than simply adding up the individual LOB numbers.
8. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. This game is designed to last until at least the All-Star break, but if you manage to harvest your tree before then, you are obviously an expert (lucky?) bingo lumberjack.
Last edited by cjedmonton; 07-30-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Good thing I've had my coffee this am or my head would have spun right off........
Guessing this will make more sense as we slowly move along in chopping the tree.
I'll shed some light on why Team LOB is a different total than the number you would get if you added up each individual batter...
It's pretty simple, really. Team LOB is the total number of men left on base at the end of each half inning. Meaning the number of runners on base when the third out is recorded.
Last edited by wildcat4; 03-20-2014 at 05:32 PM.
[MENTION=10538]IndiansFan[/MENTION] [MENTION=2055]metallicalex777[/MENTION] [MENTION=4428]MrMet[/MENTION] [MENTION=4648]TGutta[/MENTION] [MENTION=7427]Wainwright[/MENTION] [MENTION=1873]wildcat4[/MENTION] [MENTION=9059]theacox[/MENTION] [MENTION=5808]nerdherd020[/MENTION] [MENTION=2196]Ashburn Alley[/MENTION] [MENTION=3819]tommyd2107[/MENTION] [MENTION=5090]oiccup41[/MENTION] [MENTION=2671]aarne13[/MENTION] [MENTION=2455]Bill Menard[/MENTION] [MENTION=2477]Gwynn545[/MENTION] [MENTION=2122]robertwolf1[/MENTION] [MENTION=1900]Austin[/MENTION] [MENTION=10072]Juan Gris[/MENTION] [MENTION=5359]clarkzac[/MENTION] [MENTION=2266]osappy1[/MENTION] [MENTION=1928]Y4NK335[/MENTION] [MENTION=6194]Hendersonfan[/MENTION] [MENTION=9104]WildGinge[/MENTION] [MENTION=3094]LWMM[/MENTION] [MENTION=1734]Anthony K.[/MENTION] [MENTION=1931]djrulz[/MENTION] [MENTION=1840]MaineMule[/MENTION] [MENTION=11389]lilcat19[/MENTION] [MENTION=3132]Pine Tar[/MENTION]
Your "trees" are ready. You may begin starting with this weekend's Australia Series b/w L.A. and Arizona.
1 Amur Maple - IndiansFan
2 Big Leaf Maple - Metallicalex777
3 Bitter Pecan - Pine Tar
4 Black Ash - MrMet
5 Black Hickory - goldenegg1
6 Blue Ash - TGutta
7 California Ash - Wainwright
8 Carolina Ash - wildcat4
9 Chinese Hickory
10 European Ash - theacox
11 Green Ash - nerdherd020
12 Gregg's Ash - Ashburn Alley
13 Hedge Maple - Tommyd2107
14 Japanese Maple - oiccup41
15 Manna Ash
16 Mexican Hickory - aarne13
17 Narrow Leaf Ash
18 Norway Maple - Bill Menard
19 Nutmeg Hickory - Gwynn545
20 Paperbark Maple - lilcat19
21 Pignut Hickory - robertwolf1
22 Pumpkin Ash - Austin
23 Red Hickory - Juan Gris
24 Red Maple - clarkzac
25 Sand Hickory
26 Scrub Hickory
27 Shagbark Hickory - osappy1
28 Silver Maple - Y4NK335
29 Smoothbark Hickory
30 Sugar Maple - Hendersonfan
31 Swamp Hickory - WildGinge
32 Sycamore Maple - LWMM
33 Tatarian Maple - Anthony K.
34 Velvet Ash - djrulz
35 Vine Leaf Maple
36 White Ash - MaineMule
Last edited by cjedmonton; 04-02-2014 at 07:43 PM.
I'll print my page some time soon.....once I find a printer.
On my tree, branch 1 goes like this:
DO DP JF
GC YP PS
Any two players having 3+ hits or 8+ strikeouts.
If I'm reading this right, I only need two of the players to meet this criteria to clear the branch. So if one game has DO get 3 hits, and GC get 9 Ks, I move on to the next branch. Can it be any combination of players (DO/GC, DO/YP, DO/JF, etc.), or does it have to be DO/GC, DP/YP and JF/PS? Also, say DO and GC both get 3 hits in a game, but there's another player, ZZ, who does also. Does it still count?
I'm sure I'll figure this out quickly enough, but I appreciate your bearing with me until then.
Jonny Gomes Collection:
Wantlist: Reward Offered
Good question. Your interpretation is spot on. So long as any two players meet one of the criteria on a single day, you will clear the branch. Players are not grouped in any way. Although this game requires exact matches, this scenario does not specify "exactly two players....", only "any two players...".
Originally Posted by LWMM
Hope this clarifies things.
That makes sense, thanks!
Originally Posted by cjedmonton
Jonny Gomes Collection:
Wantlist: Reward Offered
A couple of questions, hope they are not painfully obvious:
1. On my branch 4 I have
Team Pitching- SD 9 strikeouts, Cubs 1 HR allowed, Pittsburgh 8 hits
Do I just need one of those things to occur to cut/chop the branch? Or find ALL 3 of them?
And on branch 7, there are 5 scenarios, do I just need 1 to occur or ALL?
Maybe I am confused by branch 1 where we only need 2 of the 6 players to achieve the game milestones.
I think I need ALL to occur OR use the Chainsaw to immediately clear ALL, correct?
2. I assume we can go backwards in time to find a boxscore that fits a criteria. If I am on branch 5 in May, I could use an April game to fit a scenario, right?
I re-read the instructions several times but just want to make sure I follow this correctly.
Thanks for doing this Chris. I have no idea how you put this together but pretty ingenious if you ask me
Happy to help! I'll try to answer everything as clearly as possible.
Originally Posted by MaineMule
1.You must satisfy all scenarios on a branch in order to clear it.
The scenario for branch 1 has a special qualifier only requiring 2 of your six players to meet the criteria shown. It's still one scenario, so it must be satisfied in a single day.
With the exception of branch 13, no multi-scenario branch requires you to complete it in a single day. This game is challenging enough as it is! Having that requirement would basically make it impossible!
You are correct: you can either whittle away on each scenario one at a time, or if you satisfy one of the three requirements to use your chainsaw, you automatically clear the entire branch, no matter how many scenarios it has.
2. You may not go back before the date you started working on a given branch. Once a branch has been cleared, that is the earliest date you can use to begin working on the next branch.
Remember, you can only work on one branch at a time, starting with the 1st one.
The main reason for this is that it breaks the game up into very manageable sections. If I were to open the entire game up at once, that could get pretty overwhelming for all but the most diehard/dedicated players. Most/all of us have busy lives, so I wanted to avoid making this a chore. Remember, the largest branch you can work on at any one time only has 5 scenarios. Even if that branch is a complete dud, you'd only have to wait 14 days before you can use the chainsaw (option 3) to clear it.
Does this clear things up? If not, just let me know!
Thanks for the kind words. It's nice to contribute to the board again.
Last edited by cjedmonton; 03-20-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Tree number 3 please if it is available.
It is, thanks!
Originally Posted by Pine Tar
3 Bitter Pecan - Pine Tar
Posting for bookmark purposes. Thanks again for the contest, Chris! Glad to see you back on the boards.
Originally Posted by Bill Menard