Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2010 Upper Deck Exquisite Collector's Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I spoke with the BGS rep at the White Plains show back in January and asked him why only a handful of cards from 2010 Exquisite (plus the Jeter Diamond Club autograph/130) had been listed in the Beckett database. He wasn’t familiar with the set or its scarcity and asked that I email him with details so he could pass them to the people in charge of the database.

I passed along the links to the set’s baseballcardpedia page and a few FCB threads. Finally, the base sets and four patch sets (with a few exceptions) have been listed:

http://www.beckett.com/baseball/2010/exquisite-collection/

http://www.beckett.com/baseball/2010/exquisite-collection-patch/

http://www.beckett.com/baseball/2010/exquisite-collection-combo-patch/

http://www.beckett.com/baseball/2010/exquisite-collection-trio-patch/

http://www.beckett.com/baseball/2010/exquisite-collection-quad-patch/

If we assume that the base set and the patch sets add up to 200 total cards, the only missing cards include base card #86, two (2) uncatalogued single patches, one (1) uncatalogued combo patch card, and two (2) combo patch cards with unidentified set numbers (Morneau/Mauer and the Reyes/Beltran). I have sent multiple emails to Upper Deck concerning the unidentified cards and have not received any answers, most likely because of the legal situation surrounding 2010 Upper Deck Series 1 baseball. It's amazing that a set produced in 2010 still has cards that remain uncatalogued.

I hope this thread is a platform where collectors of this set can share their pickups and any thoughts about 2010 Exquisite. Hopefully we can fill in the blanks on those unknown cards.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
great idea for a thread. this was a great looking set and you have some amazing pieces from it!

i hope to nab a Pedro patch from the set one day...

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Excellent. Hopefully that brings some out of the woodwork. Maybe an article in Beckett would be forthcoming.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Even cards from the regular 2010 Upper Deck set can be hard to find. I've only seen one of the Matt Diaz gold cards /99, and my understanding is that a substantial amount of unopened product got recalled once the the legal imbroglio began. If cards from Upper Deck's 2010 flagship product are so hard to find, I can only imagine how scarce are some of the low numbered cards from Exquisite.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Anyone have access to Beckett pricing? I'm curious what they have the singles at. As collectors know, base cards can sell for anywhere from $10-200+, depending on who needs that card.

allstars

Mar 17, 2009
Anyone have access to Beckett pricing? I'm curious what they have the singles at. As collectors know, base cards can sell for anywhere from $10-200+, depending on who needs that card.

I just got $120 for a Pete Rose base card /75.

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
Pardon my ignorance on this, but were these inserted live into packs or were they done as redemptions? Because if it's the former, there's a TON if cheap unopened 2010 Upper Deck out there...

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
Pardon my ignorance on this, but were these inserted live into packs or were they done as redemptions? Because if it's the former, there's a TON if cheap unopened 2010 Upper Deck out there...

The base/75 and the patches were inserted into hobby packs.

The Jeter autograph/130 was a giveaway to UD Diamond Club members.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
I bought a lot of the Exquisite base cards recently. Here is a scan of nine of them:

10_exquisite_group1of2_zps9b93a917.png

UD clearly put great thought into the design of these cards (modeling most of them after 2009 UD Exquisite Football), but some of the aspects of quality control are severely lacking.

Notice the right hand side of the scan and how the edges of the cards did not line up anywhere close to even. Many of the cards did not fit in magnetic holders because of these miscuts. Some cards were tapered and others were too wide to fit in the magnetics.

Also, there is also some variance in the way the base cards are serial numbered. Some cards are stamped with the serial numbering directly onto the card and other base cards have a small matte finish square on the right side of the card where the serial number is stamped onto.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That Torre is one of my favorite cards ever. The sideburns, the suede jacket and turtleneck, the winsome grin. I'm not an autograph guy at all, but if I ever get another spare copy I'd love to try for a TTM sig. The Giobson isn't far behind.

Members online

Latest posts