User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why would folks still live in dangerous areas with Warnings in Advance?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would folks still live in dangerous areas with Warnings in Advance?

With reports coming out now that the Area of the deadly Washington Landslide last weekend was already well-known as Dangerous, even earning the name "Slide Hill", I once again fail to understand why anyone would be willing to take the risk of living in such a Dangerous area.

I understand that some of these folks may not have had any idea of the danger of landslides near them, the last one being 5 years ago, but the County has documented reports warning of some danger being present at any time, especially when there was excessive rain. Heck, there are Local reports that the residents formed their own Cessicion group to counter-act the warnings and geological reports presented to them in 2010 and later. In fact, one of the Leaders of this group is among the Missing.

I am not a thrill-seeker or a big "outdoors" guy. I live in SE PA, in farm country with no known dangers. I cannot fathom living in Cali, especially Southern Cal which is constantly under threat of the "Big One" or within 3 miles or so of any Eastern seashore. Heck, even Florida or "Tornado Alley" would worry me. Is it a "great area"? Yeah, probably but that is not enough for me to want to live in a overly-dangerous place like these.

Can someone explain this to me? I honestly don't get it...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

thefatguyjj
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It won't happen to me."
    Thanks .:..:. My Bucket... MY FCB ALBUMS! CLICK HERE!
    Check out my photography below!

Wrigleyville2007
     @CubsFanP
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think you are safe where you are, you could also be proven wrong.

Every area has some form of threat. Just curious, where do you live?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gt2590 View Post
    I am not a thrill-seeker or a big "outdoors" guy. I live in SE PA, in farm country with no known dangers.
    In the OP...

And yes [MENTION=2201]thefatguy[/MENTION], I think that's part of it. Or also, alot of people think fate controls everyone's life anyway, so why bother? But personally, I don't get it...

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't worry about earthquakes in California - if it happens, it happens. The threat of them is always there, but they just don't happen often enough for me to live in perpetual fear. The benefits of living in California (nice weather, proximity to beach and mountain, Silicon Valley) far outweigh the threats of a huge earthquake every 20-30 years.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I've asked similar questions in the last, like why people choose to keep living in hurricane devastated areas, I keep getting the same answer. Some people just can't afford to move.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Wrigleyville2007
     @CubsFanP
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Potential treats in Pennsylvania:

Flooding, Sinkholes, Tornados and more:
    https://oem.readyphiladelphia.org/Cus...aturalHaz9.pdf

Harsh Winters:
    https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-record-books/

Poisonous Snakes:
    https://fishandboat.com/anglerboater/...b/08play04.pdf

BOYZ II MEN:

...ok that last one is cool

I'm just saying not everywhere is safe.

Pinbreaker
     pinbreaker
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each area of the US has their own issues..

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/billions/events

Since I live in Washington, there are parts of the state that you would think are great and parts of the state that suck..

I live right next to a volcano...
    (It's supposed to blow sometime soon.. maybe this week or maybe next millenium)

Last edited by Pinbreaker; 03-26-2014 at 03:22 PM.

aarne13
     Aarne13
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real estate around Mt.Baker is pretty hot. A lot of people just don't see it as a risk. Baker has the potential to dwarf Mt.St Helens. I would hope that home insurance rates are tied to USGS hazard maps....
    Fwiw- landslides are a pretty significant risk on the West Coast. Risk levels can change pretty quickly due to complex geology & human activity.
    Last edited by aarne13; 03-26-2014 at 07:09 PM.
    Blue Jays Collection

Collecting- Marcus Knecht, John Olerud, certified Jays autos
    Also looking for 2007 Bowman Chrome Shane Benson Gold Refractors Currently have 25/50.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
    When I've asked similar questions in the last, like why people choose to keep living in hurricane devastated areas, I keep getting the same answer. Some people just can't afford to move.
    And against all apparent reason, even lots of people who can afford to move don't. There is a upper-middle income housing development about 5 miles north of where I live that has been hit by three tornadoes in the last 15 years. Everyone just rebuilds. Some people there have even had their houses wiped out twice, but they still live there, in their third house on the same slab.

aarne13
     Aarne13
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
    And against all apparent reason, even lots of people who can afford to move don't. There is a upper-middle income housing development about 5 miles north of where I live that has been hit by three tornadoes in the last 15 years. Everyone just rebuilds. Some people there have even had their houses wiped out twice, but they still live there, in their third house on the same slab.
    There are quite a few people who prefer to stay in their "hometown". For them it's where family and friends are (along with memories). They would rather deal with all the negatives than have to move to a different city or state. For them it's very logical to rebuild every time their home is destroyed.
    Blue Jays Collection

Collecting- Marcus Knecht, John Olerud, certified Jays autos
    Also looking for 2007 Bowman Chrome Shane Benson Gold Refractors Currently have 25/50.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
    But moving to a different part of the state doesn't guarantee that a tornado won't strike.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen, I know no where on Earth is totally safe but I just don't "get" why some people stay in dangerous places, even after (repeated) warnings...

Without sounding Vulcan about it, I don't understand how the emotions of your hometown, house, whatever connection you have with an area can over-rule the logic of obvious Dangers.

It seems some folks in this Landslide are saying they had NO idea or warnings presented to them when moving into the area. Yikes!

Another confusing thing is how the Media, especially CNN, is delegating this to the "back of the paper" and is hardly mentioning it compared to 24/7 coverage of Flight 370...

Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I completely agree.

There are people near me who live right next to a river that floods just about EVERY year.

They have to pay higher insurance premiums and are constantly cleaning up flood damage and making repairs.

I don't get it either.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHawk View Post
    I completely agree.

There are people near me who live right next to a river that floods just about EVERY year. They have to pay higher insurance premiums and are constantly cleaning up flood damage and making repairs.

I don't get it either.
    Kinda like being a Cubs' fan?

Or me being a A's fan and expecting them to win in the Playoffs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast