Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What are your thoughts about Raffles / Razzes

What do you think about Raffles / Razzes

• They are the best thing in sports cards

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I don't care for them. To me, it's not much different than the grab bags at card shows or the lottery. I know a few people like this stuff, but I can't understand putting money up and then not getting anything. Box breaks, yes. Raffles, no.

Let's say you want to gamble on hitting a nice Baez chrome auto from 2011 BDP.

According to your post, you are willing to break a box to get one but not enter a RAZZ.

"Loose" boxes are $135/ea now (blowoutcards.com), and you have apparently a 1:34 (34 prospect autos in the product) chance of hitting a Baez. So, you go see what's available in the RAZZ rooms...

And you see two options:

1. $20 spot for a 1:10 chance to hit a base chrome 2011 BDP auto BGS 9.5/10
BAEZ.CHR.AU.9.5.NS.jpg

2. $55 spot for a 1:10 chance to hit this:

baez blue.JPG

Which makes more gambling sense-- $135 box with a 2.9% chance of hitting a Baez base auto, or $55 a spot with a 10% chance of hitting a rare blue ref auto /150 BGS 9.5/10?

CONCLUSION: I'm all for the RAZZ, esp. if considering buying a box to chase just a particular card.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014

According to your post, you are willing to break a box to get one but not enter a RAZZ.

"Loose" boxes are $135/ea now (blowoutcards.com), and you have apparently a 1:34 (34 prospect autos in the product) chance of hitting a Baez. So, you go see what's available in the RAZZ rooms...

And you see two options:

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

Which makes more gambling sense-- $135 box with a 2.9% chance of hitting a Baez base auto, or $55 a spot with a 10% chance of hitting a rare blue ref auto /150 BGS 9.5/10?

CONCLUSION: I'm all for the RAZZ, esp. if considering buying a box to chase just a particular card.

Very good post. One additional consideration though is when buying a box you definitely get an auto so your odds should be slightly adjusted for all top prospects, as well as color refractors that could be hit. But your point is right on

Ogando, Michael Young, Leonys Martin and all Texas Rangers

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis

And you see two options:

View attachment 33423

View attachment 33422

I like this post. This is why it makes sense to me. And on the other side, if you're the seller, there are way more people willing and able to spend $55-$65 on a chance at a Baez blue than there are people willing and able to drop $550-$650 to buy it outright.

Buyers get a chance at nice things for less money even though they take on some risk. Sellers move more cards for what they need out of them. Everything is voluntary, so everyone participating is doing so because they chose to do so. Seems like a win-win.

All this being said, I don't know the first thing about the legality of raffles. No reason to break rules when there are other ways to move cards.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
They are "illegal" because there is no "NPN" or "no purchase necessary" option. It has nothing to do with whether or not you get something from the raffle.

Illegal lotteries occur when there is 1) a prize, 2) consideration ($ per spot), and 3) chance.

All 3 of these are present in this case so without a NPN they're no good.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
They are "illegal" because there is no "NPN" or "no purchase necessary" option. It has nothing to do with whether or not you get something from the raffle.

Illegal lotteries occur when there is 1) a prize, 2) consideration ($ per spot), and 3) chance.

All 3 of these are present in this case so without a NPN they're no good.

What makes state lotteries legal then?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
I dont like them. I especially don't like them when the card sells for say $20-$25 but the are 10 spots at 4$. Not only this but they appear cheap and penny pinching as I can't remember the last time I seen a "razz" for a card where the seller gets market value.

Last edited:

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Most likely there is state legislation enacted for their lotteries.

So state's can institute lotteries but people can't. Members of congress can practice insider trading but people can't. I'm sure there are more, but man, isn't America great. Psh

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
So state's can institute lotteries but people can't. Members of congress can practice insider trading but people can't. I'm sure there are more, but man, isn't America great. Psh

Well the state legislature's make the laws. IIRC many state's passed legislation where their lotteries would help fund schools. But there are so many games played with the books it's hard to tell if schools actually received more revenue.

Boylen33

Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
If I want a quilt or a cherry pie I get in raffle..

If I want a card I buy it..

I'd rather eat my own fecal matter than pay to get nothing.

So if you really want a cherry pie, you won't buy it? Rather, you will enter a raffle and take the chance of not getting the cherry pie? That's sound logic.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
So if you really want a cherry pie, you won't buy it? Rather, you will enter a raffle and take the chance of not getting the cherry pie? That's sound logic.

I think he was referencing when local non-profit organizations will hold raffles for a handmade quilt to raise money for their organization.

No I was implying raffles are for elderly women who are killing time till bridge or bingo by baking cherry pies or making quilts. You know that crotchety old lady that just bakes so she can raise $30 for her church. That's what raffles are for. It's not so drama and angst riddled adults can swap the same card in the same room for 6 months.

Members online