Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Get a load of my blockbuster Yahoo trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
So, for smiles and grins, I thought I'd go for broke and offer up a crazy blockbuster trade.

For some odd reason, it was accepted, and none of the other owners vetoed it. Thoughts?

I gave up:

Miguel Cabrera
Giancarlo Stanton
Zack Greinke
J.J. Hardy
Nate Jones

I received:

Jose Fernandez
Hanley Ramirez
Josh Donaldson
Christian Yelich
Joe Nathan

Anyone else involved in this type of deal?

Last edited:

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
I think so too, unless Miggy or Giancarlo go down. However, if you look at ADP/2014 projections, it's not as far off as you might think. When the league is free, you can go for broke. It's basically a 5 for 4 trade since Nate Jones is irrelevant at this point.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
I just wanted to shake things up, that's all. This is a free league, so there's nothing at stake.

I still think as a group, the difference won't be as much as you think. I'll post periodic updates in my 1,000th Post Contest thread to see how this trade actually panned out.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I think so too, unless Miggy or Giancarlo go down. However, if you look at ADP/2014 projections, it's not as far off as you might think. When the league is free, you can go for broke. It's basically a 5 for 4 trade since Nate Jones is irrelevant at this point.

I think it depends. In keeper league, not a terrible deal. You never know which prospects are going to come around or not, but Fernandez looks great, so I guess it depends if Yelich will come around.

In one year league, you'll really need Donaldson to put up AT or BETTER THAN last years numbers, and you'll need a full healthy and productive season from Hanley for this deal to be worth it. And like you said, Jones is not really a factor, and I personally think Stanton is overrated as a fantasy commodity based on his position, so its really not too bad a deal for a free league.

As with most deals, a good deal should be determined based on your team needs. Depends on scoring, positional needs, keeper vs 1 year league, etc. You never know how the season will play out until it does, but until it does, there's still a chance you can come out on top in this one. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
In a money league I would agree with you, but in a free league (as Chris stated this is), doubt there is much of a care.

Money is irrelevant, the point of a league is to win. That's the reason people play fantasy baseball.

If some ******* pulled this garbage in one of my leagues he'd be kicked out immediately.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I think you will get the better end of this deal actually. Stanton can't stay healthy. Fernandez > Greinke across the board (except maybe wins because of offense). Cabrera will not see as many decent pitches without Fielder IMO, and Donaldson is quietly a beast. Best third baseman in baseball last year i believe (in WAR). Hanley has injury issues too, but I think he is more of a safe bet than Stanton with the surrounding team to produce when healthy. Nathan should be solid, although first outing wasn't great. Don't know much about Yelich or Nate Jones. If Hanley stays healthy, I think you win big time, but if not I think Hardy will put the other guy over the top.

Ogando, Michael Young, Leonys Martin and all Texas Rangers

Last edited:

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Money is irrelevant, the point of a league is to win. That's the reason people play fantasy baseball.

If some ******* pulled this garbage in one of my leagues he'd be kicked out immediately.

OK Will...........however, read the first post............."For some odd reason, it was accepted, and none of the other owners vetoed it. Thoughts?"

Again, highly doubt there is much of a care in this case.....or.....the others in the league saw the trade as not overly lopsided.
If one is going strickly off of name recognition, then yes, lopsided.
However if one is going off of potential for this season, then not so much.

Last edited:

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North

Hmm, I'm not sure what would warrant expulsion from a league for this trade. I proposed, the owner accepted, the other 10 were ambivalent.

Just because I'm not infatuated with names doesn't mean I'm trying to tank my team. I actually think I have a very solid team, and should contend throughout the season.

Even if this were a money league, what would infuriate owners? Moving Cabrera/Stanton to get who could be the top ranked RHP and SS in the game?

This debate is the main reason why I created the 1,000th post contest. Can't wait to see how it pans out.

P.S. This is my 1,000th post, so that contest is closed.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Even if this were a money league, what would infuriate owners? Moving Cabrera/Stanton to get who could be the top ranked RHP and SS in the game?

You traded the #1 or 2 hitter (depending on who you ask), Stanton; who can hit 35+ hr, a great SP in Greinke, a plus offensive shortstop in Hardy

for

Hanley who, while great, is a gigantic injury risk, a SP who has one season experience and is playing on a team where he wont get run support, Donaldson; who also is unproven and only has one year an unproven prospect in Yelich and an aging RP in Nathan

If you were in one of my leagues, I'd veto because I would believe there was collusion involved. That's how lopsided it is

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Interesting take, but there are a lot of "can", "depending", "unproven", "risk" qualifiers. This is being played out as if I dumped Cabrera/Stanton for Chris Carter and Starlin Castro!

Here are the pre-season overall rankings by Yahoo:

SS
JJ (135)
Hanley (11)

3B
Miggy (2)
Donaldson (81)

OF
Stanton (26)
Yelich (209)

SP
Greinke (49)
Fernandez (34)

RP
Jones (190)
Nathan (83)

Group A Average 80.4
Group B Average 83.6

Anyway, we'll just see how it goes.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
You're putting way too much value into what ADP and O-rankings for these guys are.

But, it's your team so as long as you're happy, that's what counts

I think we all have made some questionable deals at one point.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts