Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Umps in the news

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
First, first time I ever remember hearing, an ump has gone on the "DL". Umpire Tim McClelland is out for the season with back problems.

Also, in the NBA, Dick Cavetta just passed Cal Ripken's streak with his 2,633 consecutive game referreed. He's never missed an assignment and is still reffing at age 74.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Because he blew a call that he later said he was wrong for making?

If a player on his team booted the last out, are you calling for his job too?

Does it make it right that he later admitted he was wrong? Does it give the kid his perfect game back? Does it put it in the record books? His job is to make the RIGHT call 100% of the time. His job is to stand there and watch and be correct 100% of the time for the integrity of the game of baseball.

Players play. Errors happen. They're not paid to be perfect. They're paid to be the best player that they can be.

Umpires don't make it to the Major Leagues by being subpar. They make it because they are the best of the best.

And when they show that they are clearly NOT capable of making easy calls, as this one was, then they should lose their job.

Go back to being on the cover of Cap'N'Crunch boxes Joyce. You're a bum.

Ashburn Alley

Aug 10, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Wow. I know you like to stir the pot but just wow. To say that the umpire needs to be perfect 100% of the time but players who get paid millions to do what they do are allowed to make a mistake?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Wow. I know you like to stir the pot but just wow. To say that the umpire needs to be perfect 100% of the time but players who get paid millions to do what they do are allowed to make a mistake?

I'm not saying they ARE perfect 100% of the time, but they are PAID TO BE. On the Major League level, there is no room for error with umpires. Sadly, it's come to the point where they have implemented replay because people like Jim Joyce are inept at their job.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Does it make it right that he later admitted he was wrong? Does it give the kid his perfect game back? Does it put it in the record books? His job is to make the RIGHT call 100% of the time. His job is to stand there and watch and be correct 100% of the time for the integrity of the game of baseball.

Players play. Errors happen. They're not paid to be perfect. They're paid to be the best player that they can be.

Umpires don't make it to the Major Leagues by being subpar. They make it because they are the best of the best.

And when they show that they are clearly NOT capable of making easy calls, as this one was, then they should lose their job.

I don't think Armando Gallaraga cares about this as much as you do

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
It's pathetic because officials are constantly protected by the league they work for. I liken it to how wrestling was shrouded in secrecy up until the late 80's / very early 90's.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I don't think Armando Gallaraga cares about this as much as you do

Publicly, I am sure he will give the PC response.

Privately, I am positive he would much prefer to have the perfect game on his official record than people thinking he is a good guy for handling it well.

What MLB player wouldn't???

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Publicly, I am sure he will give the PC response.

Privately, I am positive he would much prefer to have the perfect game on his official record than people thinking he is a good guy for handling it well.

What MLB player wouldn't???

yeah, whats more fulfilling, showing your grandkids your name in a record book, or showing them how to be a good person while also espousing your place in baseball history?
and no matter how he feels, he has already forgiven and forgotten, why is it so hard for you?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
yeah, whats more fulfilling, showing your grandkids your name in a record book, or showing them how to be a good person while also espousing your place in baseball history?
and no matter how he feels, he has already forgiven and forgotten, why is it so hard for you?

I don't like Jim Joyce's mustache.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009

Players also make it to the Major Leagues by being the best of the best; and just like with umpires, that involves making a mistake every now and then. Sucks when it happens, but it's part of the game.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Players also make it to the Major Leagues by being the best of the best; and just like with umpires, that involves making a mistake every now and then. Sucks when it happens, but it's part of the game.

The majority of the players on the Cubs and Astros would be minor leaguers or unemployed by this point if they were in the Cardinals organization.