Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Great article about player's salaries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I understand the point of the article but how many millions do you need to make to play a game? Lower salaries equaled lower ticket prices. I also understand that it isn't just the players, but the owners also.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I understand the point of the article but how many millions do you need to make to play a game? Lower salaries equaled lower ticket prices. I also understand that it isn't just the players, but the owners also.

I don't believe ticket prices have anything to do with salaries. Ticket sales are now just a drop in the bucket compared to TV revenues. Teams will charge the prices that the think make the most sense from a business perspective. The owners are playing the players a smaller fraction of the revenues than they used to, and the reality is, whether it be tickets, TV money, jersey sales or other revenue streams, baseball players are a very valuable commodity (as are all athletes).

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
I don't believe ticket prices have anything to do with salaries. Ticket sales are now just a drop in the bucket compared to TV revenues. Teams will charge the prices that the think make the most sense from a business perspective. The owners are playing the players a smaller fraction of the revenues than they used to, and the reality is, whether it be tickets, TV money, jersey sales or other revenue streams, baseball players are a very valuable commodity (as are all athletes).

This makes sense, I was listening to Colin Cowheard this morning and he was saying the same thing about ticket sales in reference to Johnny Manziel

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Athletes are entertainers.
Fans don't complain when Tom Cruise or Julia Roberts make $20 million a movie for two months work.
And sometimes they make two or three movies a year for $20 million per.

Oprah used to make $80 million a year doing her syndicated talk show.

David Letterman and Matt Lauer make $15-$20 million.

A few TV actors have made a million bucks per episode.

The top pop stars make $50 million on concert tours.

Why are athletes criticized so much?

Last edited:

Members online