Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Views on Jeter's Farewell Tour

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
So last year Mariano had his farewell tour, and now it's Jeter's turn. I thought it was super cheesy last year, but I didn't have a problem with it since Mo is the greatest relief pitcher to ever play the game. Is anyone else as upset by the Jeter tour as I am? I mean, he isn't even the best shortstop to play in his era (although Arod had since had steroids mar his reputation, he was clearly a better player than Jeter individually). He probably isn't in the top five Yankees of all time (not much of an insult when you think of who is on the list), and may not be in the top ten. Jeter has been a very good player, great hitter for a long career, but do people really think he deserves the same treatment as Rivera from last year? I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I would like to see people's arguments/views from both sides.

Ogando, Michael Young, Leonys Martin and all Texas Rangers

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I think it's the role he's played as (unofficial) ambassador of the game. He's always been viewed as someone who did it the right way on the biggest stage in the biggest city.

Also, he did not decide to do be honored, the teams have made that decision. (While he certainly knew what to expect when announcing his retirement none of it is actually his doing). I have no problem with it.

Thinking another way, who playing now would warrant similar attention if they retired? Other than maybe Pujols, no one has combined such a high level of play with so much class and dignity (and yes clearly Pujols was a better player, along with Miggy and a few others). David Wright seems to be looking to follow the same blueprint albeit with a little less success...

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I'm not a Yankees fan, but how could you not respect Jeter? He's probably the best Yankees position player in the last 20+ years, he's had the most Yankees success in the last 40-50 years? He came up with the team when he was like, 20, and he's still there with the same team. He's never been embroiled in a scandal, never given his team, himself, or baseball a black eye. What's not to respect, or honor?

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I also heard on ESPN today, I think, that of all the games Jeter has played as a Yankee, only one of them has been when his team has been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. That's crazy!

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I think it's the role he's played as (unofficial) ambassador of the game. He's always been viewed as someone who did it the right way on the biggest stage in the biggest city.

I think this statement (100% true) is the part that bothers me. I guess my view is centered on and if/but thought. If he wasn't a Yankee, and wasn't anointed the face of baseball would he receive the same farewell tour? That said as many have mentioned he has accepted, embraced, and flourished in the role as the face of the league during a time of huge economic growth, at least some of which should be attributed to him being untouched by scandal. I definitely respect him as a player and a man (based on the limited knowledge I have of his personal life). I guess it just feels like its a farewell tour arising from the business of the game, which shouldn't be pushed onto the fans of the game.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Just like every other time Jeter's been singled out for sainthood in the last 20 years, it's largely due to the Yankee/ESPN hype. Remember a few years ago when ESPN was doing break-in coverage when Jeter was about to break the Yankees team record for hits? Not passing a top 10 HOFer on the career list, not getting 3000, but a team record in the 2800s.

High degree of play basically every season? The luck to get onto an ascendant team? Be good enough to be part of what made that team so dominant? All-time highlight reel plays? Appearing to be "a man every woman wants and every man wants to be?" Check, right, sure, absolutely, yep. But you know, if he played for the Brewers, he'd be a notable player but nothing more. I mean, Craig Biggio and Jim Thome, amongst many others, were "ambassadors" of the game as much as Jeter, but they didn't get the farewell tour treatment.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I'm just not much of a fan of the "farewell tour" thing. I don't necessarily think this is true of Jeter personally, but given the positive reception that Rivera had as he visited opposing ballparks for the last time and the fact that it will be the same thing for Jeter, I could see other superstars doing the same thing as more ego stroking. Such a tour would become more about validating how important an individual player thinks he is, to the detriment of the team. In Jeter's case I suppose it could be looked at as not having to answer the same "Are you going to retire after this season?" question, but I'd rather have players announce their retirement when the season is over.

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
A lot of it has to do with popularity - Yankee players typically garner extra popularity bc there on the Yankees. He's also been the face of the team with their championship runs.
Every girl wants to be with him
Every guy wants to be him - sleeping with super hot actresses, models etc....

Plus - no bad press whatsoever - no links to PED's or messy domestic issues made public (a la Tiger Woods)

He's the most popular Yankee everyday position player since Mickey Mantle many older yank fans will disagree with me - but who has been more popular than him since Mickey Mantle??

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Chipper got one, so it's only fair that Jeter gets one. Chipper's was more unofficial, but still.

I will agree that saying you are going to retire DURING that same season means you want to see how much press you'll get. You can't see it any other way. It's like living the fantasy of attending your own funeral.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I will say I am not jealous of Jeter sleeping with all different models and actresses. I would much rather have a family, which he does not have, yet at least. (In response to a couple statements above)

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I'm already sick of it. I get the respect thing though, I do. I just don't like the whole "farewell tour" crap. Chipper, Mo, Jeter.... I don't care much for my team making a big to-do out of a rival and showering them with lame gifts.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I truly think it is not anything Jeter was looking for. He has never been a limelight player. He announced his retirement to deter distractions of retirement and contract conversations. I respect his decision. If teams choose to honor him then so be it. Maybe the list of guys that our opinions bring us to also have a send off is short for a reason. It's hard to come up with names to inherit an unofficial title of a baseball ambassador.

Last edited:

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I truly think it is not anything Jeter was looking for. He has never been a limelight player. He announced his retirement to deter distractions of retirement and contract conversations. I respect his decision. If teams choose to honor him then so be it. Maybe the list of guys that our opinions bring us to also have a send off is short for a reason. It's hard to come up with names to inherit an unofficial title of a baseball ambassador.

I think this is BS after he saw what Rivera got. He knew this would happen.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I'm a huge Jeter guy but I'm already sick of it. I wonder how much external pressure was put on him to "announce" his retirement to garner extra interest in eveyr stop the team makes this year. Before this he seemed to be the kind of guy that would say "oh yeah by the way this is my last year" the final week of the regular season and not a minute more to cut down on the distractions that are sure to follow.

Members online