User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Thread: Interesting stories/tidbits behind certain sportscards

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think one of the biggest errors and most interesting story is about another Topps card. The 2005 Bowman Chrome A-Rod Throwback Exclusives #94A-AR - Alex Rodriguez card. The odds to pull this card was an astonishing 1:614,088 packs.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41eb694b-3cee-4e3a-9dc0-2c5de799d26b.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	33874 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41eb694b-3cee-4e3a-9dc0-2c5de799d26b.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	33875

  2. #32
    Member Ghumbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    992
     ghumbs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVEPETERS239 View Post
    I think one of the biggest errors and most interesting story is about another Topps card. The 2005 Bowman Chrome A-Rod Throwback Exclusives #94A-AR - Alex Rodriguez card. The odds to pull this card was an astonishing 1:614,088 packs.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41eb694b-3cee-4e3a-9dc0-2c5de799d26b.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	33874 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41eb694b-3cee-4e3a-9dc0-2c5de799d26b.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	33875
    What is the story?

  3. #33
    Senior Member clarkzac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    8,602
     zc3009
    Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghumbs View Post
    What is the story?
    https://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...-sf-1-1-a.html

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    142
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghumbs View Post
    What is the story?
    Oh I guess the story is how Topps messed up a super good card that is super rare.

    Then how Arod agreed to autograph the card but Topps refused to authenticate it and provide the required hologram stickers to make it authentic.

    Then how maybe another card like this may exist but not 100% sure.

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,305
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghumbs View Post
    What is the story?
    At least several of them were backdoored and some people like to pretend they are the holy grail when it was bought on ebay for around $10. They used to swear it was super rare until another copy was scanned and shown to them. Now they just pretend they might not have seen it. Arod never signed them therefore topps never released them.

  6. #36
    Junior Member Tzvih123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Long Island,NY
    Posts
    219
     @HeimoRS
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have a few error cards.I have a 2011 Yonder Alonso card with Eric Sogard's stats. A 2006 Mickey Mantle card that says his career high was 52 HRs.. A 2011 reprint of Ryan Howard's 2006 card. It says "Major League Pitching Record" above his stats. A 2011 Josh Hamilton AL MVP card. It incorrectly states his OBP at .359. I also have a 2013 Jason Kipnis Opening Day card that says he has 31 SBs ( he had 36) And lastly, a 1997 card of Jhensy Sandoval/Jason Conti that incorrectly states Sandovals AVG at 1.16, when it was actualy .116. All of those card were Topps.
    Of course none of these cards have much value, but it's cool to look at all of topps fails.

  7. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NEPA
    Posts
    418
     mrniceguy1126
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzvih123 View Post
    Well I have a few error cards.I have a 2011 Yonder Alonso card with Eric Sogard's stats. A 2006 Mickey Mantle card that says his career high was 52 HRs.. A 2011 reprint of Ryan Howard's 2006 card. It says "Major League Pitching Record" above his stats. A 2011 Josh Hamilton AL MVP card. It incorrectly states his OBP at .359. I also have a 2013 Jason Kipnis Opening Day card that says he has 31 SBs ( he had 36) And lastly, a 1997 card of Jhensy Sandoval/Jason Conti that incorrectly states Sandovals AVG at 1.16, when it was actualy .116. All of those card were Topps.
    Did all of these cards have corrected versions? Or are they uncorrected errors?
    eBay: mrniceguy1126 Photobucket:mrniceguy1126
    Looking for 07 USA Victor Sanchez green auto #1/2 and 05 Fleer Patchworks BJ Upton "Property of" die-cut patch cards #/25.
    Current favorite card...

  8. #38
    Senior Member BBCgalaxee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,358
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a few....

    Willie Mays appears on a 1974 Topps Card (postseason) but isn't named.

    Panini used to make stickers and albums for topps.

    When topps announced that they were going to produce a 1952 reprint set in the early 80s, collectors and dealers actually were afraid original 1952 cards would fall value!



    Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

  9. #39
    Senior Member BiggioBrooks755's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI-Home of the Roncalli Jets
    Posts
    4,022
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBCgalaxee View Post
    Here's a few....

    Willie Mays appears on a 1974 Topps Card (postseason) but isn't named.

    Panini used to make stickers and albums for topps.

    When topps announced that they were going to produce a 1952 reprint set in the early 80s, collectors and dealers actually were afraid original 1952 cards would fall value!



    Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    I still have the magazine article offering the reprint set somewhere
    RoncalliJetsForever9096822
    HOFer Craig Biggio-1469/4879-29% Craig Biggio Card Site
    HOFer
    Derrick Brooks-260/773-33% Derrick Brooks Card Site


  10. #40
    A_Pharis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Alexandria, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    20,828
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Edit:

    I just realized that those posts were from last year.
    Last edited by A_Pharis; 07-05-2015 at 08:37 AM.

  11. #41
    Senior Member joey12508's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winterfell
    Posts
    17,024
     joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waited 15 months for my topps finest will Middlebrooks auto redemption.




    Only problem is it has Brendan Ryans picture.

  12. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,813
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joey12508 View Post
    Waited 15 months for my topps finest will Middlebrooks auto redemption.




    Only problem is it has Brendan Ryans picture.


  13. #43
    Senior Member joey12508's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winterfell
    Posts
    17,024
     joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicpapa View Post
    You aint right, LOL....

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,813
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joey12508 View Post
    You aint right, LOL....


  15. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,813
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MOST Autograph Redemptions use to be the actual cards with a hole punched in them, and you only had about a year to redeem them via Snail Mail
    Quote Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
    And the card actually existed and was eventually shipped to you, for real.

    Sent from my SGH-M919 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

    [img]https://www.collectingichiro.com/ud01-spisg-re.jpg[img]
    Last edited by magicpapa; 07-05-2015 at 11:18 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •