Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Does anyone know how to verify UD Sticker Hologram serial numbers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
This is my problem. I am looking to purchase a card that I can't find in Beckett. I can't find any other info about it either. The card looks exactly like a 2000 UD SP Authentic Auto buyback. It is a buyback of O'neills 1994 SP. My original card is hand numbered to /97. I have more than one copy and it is in Beckett. These came auto on front, hand numbered with UD Hologram numbered sticker on the back of the card and also a header authentication card with a matching serial number. Sorry for the quick scan:
image-115.jpg

Now the card in question matches most of the one at top except its numbered 1/1. It has the UD Hologram sticker on back but no header card. I can't find any info on the card. I emailed UD and got this response:

Thank you for the email. Unfortunately, we do not record which product that buybacks are released in. Buyback cards are not checklist cards for the set they are released in. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Pretty much useless info. This is the card in question. The serial number hologram is similar to the original card:
image-113.jpg

image-114.jpg

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
On the /97s that you have, are the hologram serial numbers in sequence with the card serial numbers? E.g., just as 52/97 is BAG46714, does it appear that 53/97 would be BAG46715 (or 46713), 54/97 BAG46716 (or 46712), and so on? It wouldn't be conclusive evidence either way, but if they are in sequence, you might wonder why the purported 1/1 is not.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
On the /97s that you have, are the hologram serial numbers in sequence with the card serial numbers? E.g., just as 52/97 is BAG46714, does it appear that 53/97 would be BAG46715 (or 46713), 54/97 BAG46716 (or 46712), and so on? It wouldn't be conclusive evidence either way, but if they are in sequence, you might wonder why the purported 1/1 is not.
Man, I thought you were on to something but it didn't pan out:
52/97 BAG46714
67/97 BAG45229

What good are these serial holograms if you have no source or database to compare to?

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I did just notice that my 67/97 BAG45229 is one didgit from the one in question.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
I did just notice that my 67/97 BAG45229 is one didgit from the one in question.

I'd say that's a pretty good sign, if not proof positive, that the 1/1 is legit, and I would be willing to bid on that information. In lieu of being able to find more concrete information, however, it would still be worth keeping track of the serial/hologram numbers of the /97s as they continue to show up.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
The fact that it is not categorized by beckett holds me back from getting the card. There is no header card either with the COA that came in the regular pack issue cards which makes me curious where the card came from. It is odd that UD can't verify anything. What good is the serial number? It's kind of odd their data base does not except buyback. I hope Topps is not this unorganized. All their Topps Vault items come with serial hologram numbered stickers.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Anymore ideas on finding out about this card? I have to make a decision soon.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Could it just be one that someone wrote 1/1 on?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
What I don't understand is why the holograms wouldn't be in order numerically. Wouldn't it be even harder or more of a pain in the butt to do it out of order?

As for the 1/1, I do not have nor have I seen a Bagwell. I've almost got all of his buy backs but all the ones I have or have seen are listed in Beckett's data base.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I seriously questioned the Sam's thing a long time ago. I couldn't understand having this "serial number" but not have it linked to anything. Just the "COA" and the auto. No one ever was able to shed light on this card, from UD or anywhere.
DSCN1585.jpg

DSCN1586.jpg

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I seriously questioned the Sam's thing a long time ago. I couldn't understand having this "serial number" but not have it linked to anything. Just the "COA" and the auto. No one ever was able to shed light on this card, from UD or anywhere.
DSCN1585.jpg

DSCN1586.jpg
I can't tell but is there a year on that buyback header card? That is one thing that bothers me about mine. The only other clue I have is I know this card in question was purchased on eBay in Aug 2004.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
What I don't understand is why the holograms wouldn't be in order numerically. Wouldn't it be even harder or more of a pain in the butt to do it out of order?

As for the 1/1, I do not have nor have I seen a Bagwell. I've almost got all of his buy backs but all the ones I have or have seen are listed in Beckett's data base.
I thought if that too about the serial numbers. I have duplicates of the other O'neill in the set. I have to check if the numbers are scrambled on them all.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Could it just be one that someone wrote 1/1 on?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Its very possible but it seems like a task to take the hologram from a legit buyback auto and place the sticker on an autographed card and mark it 1/1. I would believe it more if there was not a sticker involved. Unless the buyback was damaged and they tried to make a buck. Still seems like a stretch.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I can't tell but is there a year on that buyback header card? That is one thing that bothers me about mine. The only other clue I have is I know this card in question was purchased on eBay in Aug 2004.
There's a year, but nothing matches up with the header, the card, and the etched "UD Bonus". Point is that the "serial number" is absolutely no help. I feel your pain.

Last edited:

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
The 1/1 in the OP looks off when compared to other hand written serial numbers.

There's a year, but nothing matches up with the header, the card, and the etched "UD Bonus". Point is that the "serial number" is absolutely no help. I feel you'd pain.

I think I have a few "UD Bonus" stamped cards. They are base cards but with a different number than released sets that were sent along with redemptions that took a long time process.

Members online