Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How complex is your process for cataloguing your PC??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I received some cards yesterday for my PC and I started thinking about how involved my process has become to simply get one card into my PC.

Here is what happens when I receive a card...

As an example, I got this yesterday. 2007 SP Legendary Cuts Legendary Signatures Paul Molitor /100

w1s9m1lg.jpg

1. Make a high quality scan
2. Upload scan to Sports Card Album
3. Add card to my Zistle database
4. Add card to my giant personal Excel spreadsheet in three places. I have an "Autographs" tab where I list every auto I have, a "HOFer Autos" tab with a simple count of each HOFer and finally a "HOFer Auto Details" tab where I list the specifics of each auto.
5. Leave feedback on eBay
6. Archive the item on My eBay
7. Put card away in appropriate monster box. In this case, I have a monster box with only HOF autos organized alphabetically by last name.

Each card takes about 5 minutes. Am I anal retentive or obsessive compulsive or what?

I would love to hear what you guys do with a card when you get it in.

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
I would not knock what you do. I wish I was that organized. Forever my process was:
Win the card
Put it on my desk
Next card goes on top
Pile it until it leans
Throw them in a box
Fill the box
Continue the process.
It is not until now that I am sorting, scanning and organizing my collection after 30+ years. Keep doing what your doing.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
When i pick up a card, I do the following:

- input card into PC excel document
- remove old sleeve and put into fresh sleeve
- look up card value in Becketts guide book
- put guesstimated value into excel next to card
- put card in respective box

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
First, I go to the appropriate year's spreadsheet (in this case, 2005):

spreadsheet.jpg

Everything is obsessively arranged by base set, then parallels, then separate listings for inserts and parallels of the inserts. I don't list anything under a PR of 50, or GU or autos, as I decided those can turn up far too infrequently to make my lists useful to me.

After I fill in the squares on the spreadsheet, I then go to the next spreadsheet, which is for the set itself. Every set has its own, where I catalog the card by #, player, team, and any notes like serial #, or if it's a GU, I catalog the type and (if a jersey swatch or patch) the color.

Then I go to the totals spreadsheet to update my total for that player:

totals.jpg

The different colors are different degrees of processing per player. I keep everything in pages, so the first column is number of pages, then how many are not in a full page. Pages * 9 gives me my first total, to which I add the separate rows for GU, oversized cards, and multiplayer cards.

Then it goes in a box to await a large enough group to break down by player and run into the binders. The end.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
-Put in a new sleeve and top loader
-Add to my spreadsheet which is currently 4239 lines long
-Scan
-Upload
-Post on forum
-File in correct monster box

Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
For my Edgar PC I do the following:
-Scan card
-Put card in new penny sleeve and toploader
-Input into excel spreadsheet with book value and price paid
-Upload scan to website (started building recently)
-Leave feedback for seller
-Put in appropriate box

I have my excel spreadsheet and boxes organized by GU/Auto/Serial #'d/Base in year and alphabetical order.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
Because I'm mostly a player/set collector.

Get card
Scan Card
Upload Pic
Save Pic in correct folder on my pc
Check card off Excel Spreadsheet
Update running collection total on FCB signature
Update posted wantlists on FCB
Put card in specified spot in card album or in case of higher value cards put in shoebox with other value or odd sized cards.

Keep in mind it may take me upwards of 2 weeks to get this all done. Especially if I have quite a few coming in at the same time.
I used to be really anal and had a running database of over 250,000 cards. My PC crashed and my dumba** didn't have it backed up. Now I only focus on charting sets or players I collect. The rest just gets stored in monster boxes waiting to fill wantlists of other collectors.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
1) Receive card
2) Make sure the holder(s) are new or replace
3) File away in one of many boxes
4) Wish that I had started scanning and cataloging years ago, thinking someday I will, but knowing that won't happen due to the sheer volume and time constraints.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
From mailbox:
1. Put in drawer
2. Wife moves it to garage
3. I move bit back to drawer, tell her not to move it
4. Wife moves it to garage again
5. Worried that it could get damaged, I move it to a box.
6. Months later, move to another box
7. Remembering I never showed it off, or need to show soneone, or just to brag, I take it out, scan it, and put it into the drawer.
8. (see #1 above, repeat until I die)

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
From mailbox:
1. Put in drawer
2. Wife moves it to garage
3. I move bit back to drawer, tell her not to move it
4. Wife moves it to garage again
5. Worried that it could get damaged, I move it to a box.
6. Months later, move to another box
7. Remembering I never showed it off, or need to show soneone, or just to brag, I take it out, scan it, and put it into the drawer.
8. (see #1 above, repeat until I die)

This made me laugh. If my wife ever touched any of my cards I would be shocked. She could soooo care less.

Calripkenjrcollector

Dec 12, 2009
National City, California
In this order.
Scan the card
Copy and paste to thumb drive. For back-up, just in case
Original scan goes to PC Folder under My Pictures
Update Excel and Hyperlink newly scanned card
File the card in my master box (Big ammo box that fits 14 - 1K cards boxes). I open this box when I have 100+ new cards to store or once a month.
Buy some more.....

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Where do you live lol

I'm just kidding about the coffee can. :p

After I catalog a card (first by year and then in alphabetical order by manufacturer, set name, serial numbering) I place it in a 2-row box in that same order for easy future referencing. I try to limit my card collection to just Dunn autos which makes keeping track via a word document fast and easy. I often print a hard copy of my collection catalog on the front and back of a single page (very small font and margins). I also keep a similar catalog for cards on my want list with past sale prices. As for my slowly growing collection of full game used Dunn items, I keep a similar catalog but display the pieces in their own shrine.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
From a web developer's perspective:
1. Check Beckett.com for the name of the set.
2. Enter that information in my Excel spreadsheet. Every item is in alphabetical order.
3. If I want an image I will scan it, crop it, and compress it.
4. I upload those images to Flikr.
5. I use Komodo Edit to update my site. All I have to do is add a new list item to update totals for my site.
6. I copy/paste the updated HTML to an HTML minifier.
7. Take that minified code to Weebly and update my site.
8. Then I store my cards. Usually a toploader for the pricier cards. The rest go in sleeves and albums.

Members online