Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Topps Opening Day the only simple product around anymore?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
What I mean by simple is not having to worry about parallel and variations galore. That and autos or relic versions of every insert out there. Take base Topps. This year there's gold, camo, yellow, pink, black, red hot, etc. and all the retail exclusive versions. Talk about tasting the rainbow of fruit flavors. When does it ever end? Stuff like Heritage and Gypsy Queen isn't much better. And there's Panini going bonkers with basketball. Prizm anyone? It's really discouraging and a crappy attempt at "adding value" for "low end" products that will still run you over $70 a box. I've gotten to a point where I plan on only busting open one or two boxes a year. At least Opening Day is out there...

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
But why should it bother or worry you if there's tons of parallels?

Keep what you like and sell or trade off the rest.

The parallels are there for extra value considering box cost.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yes it's pretty much the simplest product out there. And to answer BBC's question, it bothers me as a player and a set collector. Because I'd be hard pressed to finish either collection. Bagwell is in Gypsy Queen and I have all these parallels to track down now. Or, if I even want to do a base set, there's a million sp's and inserts and parallels. Even stuff like Ginter has gotten so carried away with the inserts that I can build a whole mini set for 2/3's the price I can for all the insert sets. It's just too much. Even if you do finish it, it still feels like it's too much.

They really need to lighten the load. All they are doing is catering to resell value. As a collector, that doesn't help me.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
As a player collector, I could understand but he was talking in general.

I'm all for choices and value in this hobby. From many parallels to better value to choices, count me in as both a seller and collector.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
As a player collector, I could understand but he was talking in general.

I'm all for choices and value in this hobby. From many parallels to better value to choices, count me in as both a seller and collector.

Even as a set collector, it makes you feel "meh" when you complete a "base" base set when you know you still have zero inserts or parallels. And when you figure out roughly what it'll cost to do it, most normal folks say to hell with it. There's just too damn many. So it can turn you off big time.

I wonder, I know there are some but are there really tons of set builders building master or close to master sets still? And by master I mean everything within reach. Not 1/1's or autos and stuff. But like base sets with all parallels numbered /100 or higher and all inserts.

I like to try it with chrome and opening day but it's just way too expensive. Even with trades, buying lots, and busting some yourself.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Yes it's pretty much the simplest product out there. And to answer BBC's question, it bothers me as a player and a set collector. Because I'd be hard pressed to finish either collection. Bagwell is in Gypsy Queen and I have all these parallels to track down now. Or, if I even want to do a base set, there's a million sp's and inserts and parallels. Even stuff like Ginter has gotten so carried away with the inserts that I can build a whole mini set for 2/3's the price I can for all the insert sets. It's just too much. Even if you do finish it, it still feels like it's too much.

They really need to lighten the load. All they are doing is catering to resell value. As a collector, that doesn't help me.

If it makes you feel better I got hosed with the Astros in a Gypsy Queen case break. Not sure what Bags were pulled (at least a mini) but you can have whatever I end up with when they arrive

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For set collectors, specifically base Topps, it's harder to build a set when there are a bunch of parallels and inserts in each pack.
It cuts down on the number of base cards you get.
Non-set builders don't understand because they want inserts instead of "worthless" base cards, but set collectors like me care. (although I do like inserts and colorful parallels too.)

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
For set collectors, specifically base Topps, it's harder to build a set when there are a bunch of parallels and inserts in each pack.
It cuts down on the number of base cards you get.
Non-set builders don't understand because they want inserts instead of "worthless" base cards, but set collectors like me care. (although I do like inserts and colorful parallels too.)

If you're really building sets, be logical and buy the base set as a factory set and just focus on buying singles of parallels and inserts. To me, it's not about the journey with today's base sets. Too much money and time involved. It's about getting the easy stuff out of the way to focus on the stuff that truly requires attention and money. Unless you like spending extra money to build the same set you can get for $50.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Opening Day isn't really a "simple" product, not for the last several years at least. This year Topps added GU, but there's always been autos and printing plates in OD. Not to mention the Blue parallel and the countless little insert sets; you always get at least one or two inserts in each pack. From my experience, it's not much different building an OD base set than building a Topps base set. The price point makes it easier to buy the boxes or blasters you need, of course.

Members online