Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB replay is already faulty...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It's the first year they've done replay on this scale so it shouldnt be a surprise that mistakes are gonna happen

That doesnt make the fact theyre happening any better, though

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Yeah that was pretty pathetic...should have been overturned. Sadly this is not the only instance of a replay challenge being called incorrectly. The replay system as a whole has been an incredible failure and honestly it should be taken out as a whole because it just does not work. Having replays for home runs is fine, but nothing good has come from the replay system, it needs to go.

I watched Felger and Mazz today, and interestingly enough they thought plays like the Dean Anna play SHOULDN'T be overturned, for the same reason that "neighborhood plays" can't be overturned.

However, they also thought that the Cervelli play shouldn't have been overturned.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I think the rules committee will have to change the replay rule for 2015 to exclude from replay transfers after a catch! ;)

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
There was a graph on sports center today.

About 30% of replay challenges so far this season have been overturned.

That means mlb umps are wrong on nearly 1/3 of close call plays...yikes

That's implying the unchallenged plays aren't close calls or they're wrong on nearly 1/3 of those as well.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
There was akother gaff again today in the Whitesox game. Napoli was pulled off first on a play and they reviewed it and said the runner (whitesox # 42) everyone is wearing 42. Anyway they said the runner was still out at first. But replay shows his was safe.

I hate replay for close plays at first.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
There was akother gaff again today in the Whitesox game. Napoli was pulled off first on a play and they reviewed it and said the runner (whitesox # 42) everyone is wearing 42. Anyway they said the runner was still out at first. But replay shows his was safe.

I hate replay for close plays at first.

Just watched that one and going by the "conclusive proof needed to overturn a call" line, I don't think I would have changed that call either. On the replays it wasn't obvious enough when the ball was in the 1B glove to overturn. The one angle that Steve Stone referred to as the "clearly off the base" camera shot you couldn't even see the fielders glove so it isn't as obvious as the "home team" announcers made it sound either. In my opinion anyway

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Just watched that one and going by the "conclusive proof needed to overturn a call" line, I don't think I would have changed that call either. On the replays it wasn't obvious enough when the ball was in the 1B glove to overturn. The one angle that Steve Stone referred to as the "clearly off the base" camera shot you couldn't even see the fielders glove so it isn't as obvious as the "home team" announcers made it sound either. In my opinion anyway

Agree 100%. I've seen that multiple times now with announcers. They say look his foot is clearly off the bag, the runner is safe! And the glove is either out of frame or directly behind the player. Some (most) announcers don't realize how homer they are.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
While that may be the case a lot of the time, Steve Stone had never been considered a homer for any team he's worked for.

He works for the Sox now because he was let go years ago for being critical of Cubs mgmt.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Agree 100%. I've seen that multiple times now with announcers. They say look his foot is clearly off the bag, the runner is safe! And the glove is either out of frame or directly behind the player. Some (most) announcers don't realize how homer they are.

The NESN announcers dais he was safe.

Members online

Latest posts