Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MLB replay is already faulty...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Yeah that was pretty pathetic...should have been overturned. Sadly this is not the only instance of a replay challenge being called incorrectly. The replay system as a whole has been an incredible failure and honestly it should be taken out as a whole because it just does not work. Having replays for home runs is fine, but nothing good has come from the replay system, it needs to go.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
It would appear the ump did not see the foot coming off the bag. But man the Reply dude totally blow that call for sure. Even after Slowed it down I seen the tag when the foot was off the bag

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
It would appear the ump did not see the foot coming off the bag. But man the Reply dude totally blow that call for sure. Even after Slowed it down I seen the tag when the foot was off the bag

Even worse is the announcers didn't see it until the last time they showed the play......in very slow motion.

I can see why the 2nd base ump wouldn't catch it. It happened very quickly and the angle he was at, it could be seen as "sliding" the foot over the bag.

Replay showed he was out. I guess that ump was on the Yankees payroll. :D

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I've been a believer replay has been faulty since opening day, because I can't explain why MLB in its promises of replay transparency do not list replay umpires in the box score. What is MLB hiding about the replay process?

gpenko826

Feb 15, 2011
That was almost as bad as the Elliot Johnson "no catch" in the Indians-Padres game last week. He caught the ball, hit the wall, turned, and dropped it in the transfer - yet it was ruled a no catch. Everyone with baseball on their iPhone could see it was, yet the replay umps still blew it.

I have a distinct feeling that it's a case of "we're all umpires and we can't make everyone realize how many calls we really do blow, so maybe we should uphold them every so often even when they're wrong..."

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I didnt even want MLB to give replay a chance, it is a slow still flawed system that is taking a human element from the game. Even with replay calls are wrong so why waste the 5 minutes 2 times, 3 times a game.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Actually, the fact that you are all complaining about replay means it's actually working, and your standards have immediately increased. Every replay call that they get wrong would have been wrong before replay. Every call they get right via replay is just one more instance of them "getting it right", which was the intent all along.

Now, I can see the point that they may purposely get calls wrong still to deaden the blow of the realization of HOW bad umpires have been this whole time. If you like bad calls and want to call it the "human element", that's fine, and I would NEVER advocate for electronic pitch tracking; but as the comparative statistics grow, people will start to question the need for umpires at all.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I didnt even want MLB to give replay a chance, it is a slow still flawed system that is taking a human element from the game. Even with replay calls are wrong so why waste the 5 minutes 2 times, 3 times a game.

Average replay is under 2.5 minutes (2 min 16 sec thus far). And if it is flawed, wouldn't than mean it still has a human element? The argument desiring errors is just ridiculous. "I like it that mistakes of people who are not on either team can help decide who wins a game." That makes no sense.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
That was almost as bad as the Elliot Johnson "no catch" in the Indians-Padres game last week. He caught the ball, hit the wall, turned, and dropped it in the transfer - yet it was ruled a no catch. Everyone with baseball on their iPhone could see it was, yet the replay umps still blew it.

I have a distinct feeling that it's a case of "we're all umpires and we can't make everyone realize how many calls we really do blow, so maybe we should uphold them every so often even when they're wrong..."

That was not a mistake. The MLB has changed the interpretation of the rule this season (which I believe is a mistake by the league). That same rule has occurred on several other plays this season. Hamilton caught a fly ball as well and dropped on transfer, and Elvis dropped one on the transfer for a double play. Both times the play was ruled no catch and confirmed. This year players have to get the ball out of their glove with the throwing hand having possession. I think the rule change is messed up, but the umpires are not wrong.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I've been a believer replay has been faulty since opening day, because I can't explain why MLB in its promises of replay transparency do not list replay umpires in the box score. What is MLB hiding about the replay process?

The replays are all conducted in a single location by a small staff of MLB umpires. They handle all the replays across the league, and I know the head of the office has been revealed at least. I don't know what you think they could be hiding...?

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Yeah that was pretty pathetic...should have been overturned. Sadly this is not the only instance of a replay challenge being called incorrectly. The replay system as a whole has been an incredible failure and honestly it should be taken out as a whole because it just does not work. Having replays for home runs is fine, but nothing good has come from the replay system, it needs to go.

Taking under 2.5 minutes on average to get more calls right is a bad thing? I have heard of one single replay failure.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Just heard on the MOJO show that the MLB headquarters didnt have the same replays that they had at the stadium or on TV and thats why they couldnt overturn the call at 2nd
Kind of bizarre that everyone watching the game on TV has better camera angles, lol....

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
There was a graph on sports center today.

About 30% of replay challenges so far this season have been overturned.

That means mlb umps are wrong on nearly 1/3 of close call plays...yikes

Latest posts