Thread: Your Teams worst trades since 2000.....what just eats at you

boilboil1980
     ripkingsrippin
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your Teams worst trades since 2000.....what just eats at you

As a Cubs fan, there are 2......Cubs Trade Josh Donaldson, Matt Murton, and Sean Gallagher for Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin. Ouch, this one stings, and bad. The second for me is the Cubs drafting Josh Hamilton in the Rule 5 draft and netting a whopping $50,000 to send him over to the Reds. I can only imagine how the fortunes of the Cubs would have changed if these two trades wouldn't have happened. So, what are yours????

Want to try out Ripkings? Want a COUPON CODE? Pm me!

Check out our upcoming breaks at http://ripkings.com/?page_id=120

Follow us on twitter - https://twitter.com/RIPKINGSRippin

Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan Haren for Mark Mulder.

I think about this trade at least every two days during baseball season. Have since it happened.

Piece of XXXX Mulder.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Napoli for Vernon Wells.....and his entire contract! I thought it was a mean joke when I first heard about it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After the 2005 season, the Rangers traded Adrian Gonzalez and Chris Young to San Diego for Adam Eaton (the pitcher) and Akinori Otsuka.

A few years later, the Rangers traded another promising first baseman, Chris Davis, to Baltimore for Koji Uejara.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

GMS-SPORTS-CARDS
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Angels trade skaggs/corbin/saunders for haren. The trade trumbo to get one of them back.
    Angels traded segura for greinke.
    Angels draft and not sign posey and harvey.

premiumprospects
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dbacks giving up Spivey, Overbay, Craig Counsel, Chad Moeller, Jorge de la Rosa, and Chris Capuano for Richie Sexson crippled the team for a few years in the early to mid 2000's.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cliff Lee to the Phillies for a pile of garbage - Jason Knapp (out of baseball), Lou Marson (out of baseball), Jason Donald (at best a AAA utility infielder), and Carlos Carrasco (one of the worst starting pitchers in baseball). We got nothing out of that, an everyone knew it. That trade was killed by everyone the minute it happened. At least we got Michael Brantley for CC...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HPC View Post
    The Dbacks giving up Spivey, Overbay, Craig Counsel, Chad Moeller, Jorge de la Rosa, and Chris Capuano for Richie Sexson crippled the team for a few years in the early to mid 2000's.
    The dbacks trading Carlos Gonzalez Brett Anderson chris Carter Dana E veland Greg Smith for Dan Harden

How many lopsided trades has this guy been a part of?

Also just about every trade Kevin Towers has made as the dbacks general managet

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reds trading Josh Hamilton for Edinson Volquez. Volquez had a good 08 season then blew out his elbow, while Hamilton had 5 solid all star years and a 2010 MVP.
    Buying Rare Autograph's & Insert's of Kenny Lofton.

Website (work in progress): http://kennylofton.weebly.com/

deliciousbacon666
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sox giving up Josh Reddick for Andrew Bailey. This one is really bad now, but it'll get worse if either prospect the Sox also gave up turn into stars (as Reddick did).

The Joel Hanrahan trade was pretty bad as well; giving up on 2013 NL All Star Mark Melancon (who did suck with the Sox but cost them Jed Lowrie) for 9 games of Hanrahan and a 9.83 ERA.

Neither trade crippled the team but the speed at which they went wrong for the Sox was frightening.
    I'm DelBacon on Sportlots, tons of great cards!

1K+ Club - Top Player Collections (as of 10/21/18): 1. Glaus: 2096 - 2. Rolen: 1686 - 3. Thome: 1638 - 4. Helton: 1521 - 5. Garciaparra: 1461 - 6. L. Walker: 1317 - 7. D. Ortiz: 1311 - 8. R. Palmeiro: 1307 - 9. Edmonds: 1090 10. Biggio: 1072 - 11. A. Beltre: 1052

dragsy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure Mariners fans right now would be calling the Pineda/Campos for Montero/Noesi trade a complete disaster.

I can't think of too many horrible Yankee trades in recent memory. They traded Melancon for Berkman and that worked out for a bit. The Ian Kennedy/Austin Jackson combination getting Granderson back worked pretty well for a couple years, especially considering those guys kinda normalized quickly.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't think of any major disasters since 2000 for the Brewers. In fact, most have been major wins (1/2 the Dbacks fr Sexson, Laporta for CC's crazy run, Segura/Hellweg for Greinke who was gone anyway). There's a chance I'm blocking out a horrible memory but overall the Brewers have dealt really well which is good because they've had some less than stellar drafts.

Edit- after some digging to refresh my memory, trading Mark Loretta didn't pan out in return value-wise but that was during a time they had to do something/anything. Rough years.
    And of course trading Cirillo and Vina at the end of '99 blew goats but none "crippled" the franchise that was already a joke at the time
    Last edited by Brewer Andy; 04-13-2014 at 01:15 PM.
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

dodgergeo
     dodgergeo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing horrific stands out for the Dodgers since 2000. Had the cutoff been 1998, I would point to the Konerko trade in July, which was preceded by shipping off Piazza in May. I could see trading Piazza - in '97 he only hit .362/40/124.

jbhofmann
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh Hamilton right before he went bonkers for Edinson Volquez.

Volquez was pretty good but Hams would have been huge in Cincy.

Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only go back to 2000?

Curt Schilling for Travis Lee, Vicente Padilla, Omar Daal, Nelson Figueroa

Scott Rolen for Placido Polanco, Mike Timlin and Bud Smith

Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez for Freddy Garcia.

Cliff Lee for J.C. Ramirez, Phillipe Aumont, and Tyson Gilles
    Last edited by Ashburn Alley; 04-13-2014 at 01:52 PM.
    Thank you to JBel4331 for the banner!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast