Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tanaka is pretty good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
It's obviously still early, but I think this Tanaka thing may work out.

8 IP today, gave up two hits, both bunt singles. One was almost an out, overturned on review. The other was a Rizzo bunt to beat the shift. 10 K's. Only two 3 ball counts (one walk)
Tanaka is also the only pitcher in history to throw at least seven innings and record at least eight strikeouts in each of his first three starts.

I'm pretty happy with this guy.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
I thought he would be special, but I didn't think it would happen so quickly... and I wasn't expecting the insane strikeout totals. He has started much better than Darvish did in 2012 and Darvish is already a top-5 pitcher in MLB.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I thought he would be special, but I didn't think it would happen so quickly... and I wasn't expecting the insane strikeout totals. He has started much better than Darvish did in 2012 and Darvish is already a top-5 pitcher in MLB.

Dice-K also started much better than Darvish. I am not saying anything about how Tanaka will do but you have to wait at least a full season before seeing how good a guy coming from another country's league is. Every batter is facing him for the first time right now with limited ability to game plan for him.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
No one is annointing anyone here. Just pointing out a hot start. Funny how when it's a prospect it's all OMGs, high fives and 20 page threads about $10,000+ RC autos. Bring up a scorching hot Japanese rookie and all you get is a 5 post thread and "what about the guys who failed".

Last edited:

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Dice-K also started much better than Darvish. I am not saying anything about how Tanaka will do but you have to wait at least a full season before seeing how good a guy coming from another country's league is. Every batter is facing him for the first time right now with limited ability to game plan for him.

Matsuzaka had three good games to start then got manhandled in the next 3. Let's see how Tanaka does in the next 3 and then we can annoint him as Savior.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
So far, I am impressed with Tanaka and I think this was probably one of the best investments the Yankees made.
I think it's still too early to say that. Everyone knew Tanaka would be a stud pitcher here in the ML, but the concerns were over the mileage already amassed on his young arm. If he stays relatively healthy over the course of the contract then it will be one of the better investments the Yankees have made, but there is still a ways to go to see how he holds up. He has been impressive in his first few starts though, no doubt about that. He is the pitcher the Yankees needed if they plan on going after another championship within the next few years...

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois

8 IP today, gave up two hits, both bunt singles. One was almost an out, overturned on review. The other was a Rizzo bunt to beat the shift. 10 K's. Only two 3 ball counts (one walk)
Tanaka is also the only pitcher in history to throw at least seven innings and record at least eight strikeouts in each of his first three starts.

It was the high A cubs dude> he should of had a no hitter today

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
No one is annointing anyone here. Just pointing out a hot start. Funny how when it's a prospect it's all OMGs, high fives and 20 page threads about $10,000+ RC autos. Bring up a scorching hot Japanese rookie and all you get is a 5 post thread and "what about the guys who failed".

We get it: you hate prospect hype. 95% of your posts are about it.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Smart move by the Yankees to get Tanaka. He has really been impressive so far and I hope he stays healthy. I think he will cool off later on as more hitters get more looks at him. On another note, the Cubs get shutout twice in the same day for the 1st time since 1962.:)

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'll bet you can't find one in the last 6 months.

The rules on your MLB daily thread, the ones that reference a player's best card, go out of the way to ignore the most desirable card of players after the stupid "Topps RC rule" of 2005; i.e., please ignore their prospect cards because they're "not real". Only someone who can't stand the hype would purposely make that rule.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
The rules on your MLB daily thread, the ones that reference a player's best card, go out of the way to ignore the most desirable card of players after the stupid "Topps RC rule" of 2005; i.e., please ignore their prospect cards because they're "not real". Only someone who can't stand the hype would purposely make that rule.

One weekly thread with a header that has been the same for 3 years is "95%" of my posts? lol

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
My humble predictions for his upcoming Bowman cards (base only) out of the gate:

Paper RC - $30
Bowman Chrome Mini insert - $75
Bowman Ice insert - $50
Bowman Top 100 insert - $50

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Smart move by the Yankees to get Tanaka. He has really been impressive so far and I hope he stays healthy. I think he will cool off later on as more hitters get more looks at him. On another note, the Cubs get shutout twice in the same day for the 1st time since 1962.:)

Well you know it is the 100 year anniversary, so every game has to be a record setting game.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell

I am happy with him to. More surprised with Pineda he is filthy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts