User Tag List

Thread: How desirable are printing plates?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How desirable are printing plates?

I just pulled a printing plate from one of the top prospects in baseball. I would just like opinions on just how desirable these things are.

Noob so

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not as desirable as a regular 1/1 card, and not as desirable as printing plates used to be. I've picked up dozens and dozens of Oakland A's printing plates for my collection (granted, they are commons/semistars, not top prospects) for $10-15 and many under $10. A lot of it depends on the set. If you let us know what set and player and/or give a scan I'm sure there are many here who could give a good estimate of the value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilferules View Post
    Not as desirable as a regular 1/1 card, and not as desirable as printing plates used to be. I've picked up dozens and dozens of Oakland A's printing plates for my collection (granted, they are commons/semistars, not top prospects) for $10-15 and many under $10. A lot of it depends on the set. If you let us know what set and player and/or give a scan I'm sure there are many here who could give a good estimate of the value.
    Its from the 2011 Bowman draft Javier Baez. I had purchased a gentle mans entire table and he just gave me a box filled with cards he had behind his sellers table which i pulled it from. If anybody would like a scan i surely can post one up.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuyerofCards View Post
    Its from the 2011 Bowman draft Javier Baez. I had purchased a gentle mans entire table and he just gave me a box filled with cards he had behind his sellers table which i pulled it from. If anybody would like a scan i surely can post one up.
    Looks like one sold in March for $169 and there are two currently unsold at buy-it-nows of $200 and $250. I don't know what the Baez market has done since March but I would have to assume a sales value around $150-200.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilferules View Post
    Looks like one sold in March for $169 and there are two currently unsold at buy-it-nows of $200 and $250. I don't know what the Baez market has done since March but I would have to assume a sales value around $150-200.
    Wow! I just might sell it if thats the going price, lol.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the idea when it was a new thing especially for player collectors. People did go nuts trying to get their player or players. I remember them being somewhat new around the same time as 1/1s and when these were looked at by the companies as 1/1s trying to get all 4 colors of these so called 1/1s were not so appealing year after year. I like adding them to my collection but I would rather they were the ones fri the earlier years.

dmarren
     DPMsportcards
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A much bigger thing when they first came out. Even with being 1/1, you can still grab common & some semi stars pretty cheap.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of 90s cards are way more valuable/rare/cool than these things
    RoncalliJetsForever9096822
    HOFer Craig Biggio-1469/4879-29% Craig Biggio Card Site
    HOFer
    Derrick Brooks-260/773-33% Derrick Brooks Card Site

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's about as good as a unsigned plate gets, at least currently!

PS if anyone collects Don Kelly, Preston Wilson or David Dellucci let me know. I have one of each coming in from a lot I bought.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like collecting them but I suppose I have more of an interest in them than most folks.
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell all day every day!
    Current Jeff Bagwell count: 4,637 different cards!
    Also collecting Jerry Stackhouse! 751 different cards!
    Also collecting Jack Lambert and football players from all Texas colleges!

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never pursued them with great vigor for my guys, but now that I have just about everything else, they're more attractive for me. They're nowhere near as desirable for most people as a "pure" card, though.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    I never pursued them with great vigor for my guys, but now that I have just about everything else, they're more attractive for me. They're nowhere near as desirable for most people as a "pure" card, though.
    I've been a big fan of them since the jump since my guy (Sean Burnett) has so few cards. [MENTION=2077]smapdi[/MENTION] I remember you helping collection out a long time ago by selling me a Gold Ultimate Victory of Sean. I still have never seen another.

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me about it. I'm still working on that set and I only add about 1 a year at this point.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    Tell me about it. I'm still working on that set and I only add about 1 a year at this point.
    Good to know. If I see any I'll keep you in mind.