Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Redemption from Topps (scans included)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
Back in September 2013 I purchased a redemption card from the Topps product Tier One. Here's what I got:

13TierOneRedemption_zps7495f299.jpg

I promptly put in the code and waited...waited...until now. Finally! Something comes in the mail and here's what I find:

13TierOneReprintAuto_zpsf649d581.jpg

I was expecting a reprint of Nomar's rookie card ('92 Topps Traded) since the original redemption card clearly says "Clear Reprint ROOKIE Auto". That was the main selling point for me was that I was going to get another variation of his rookie card. That's what I should have received, right? I don't have a lot of experience with Topps redemptions, but I'm pretty sure I got screwed.

The thing I find most ridiculous is the card they chose to reprint - 2005 Topps? He's on the Cubs and it's clearly not his rookie card...very strange. I'm thinking of calling Topps, but I think my efforts may be futile at this point.

Last edited:

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
Also, in the minor research I've done I have found that all of the other "clear rookie reprint rookie autos" from this product are in fact ROOKIE cards. I have yet to find an exception, but if someone finds another player with a non-rookie I'd love to see it.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Until others hit the market, I guess Topps is either incompetent, or knows nothing about baseball. Or both...

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Did you enter your daytime phone number correctly? If that was wrong, that's probably why they gave you that crappy version Nomar. I suggest you have someone edit your redemptions before redeeming...

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
My best guess is Topps can't use Nomar's image if it's the 1992 Topps Traded they were going to use since he is wearing a Team USA uniform and Panini has the USA copyrights.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
My best guess is Topps can't use Nomar's image if it's the 1992 Topps Traded they were going to use since he is wearing a Team USA uniform and Panini has the USA copyrights.
This is it, though I don't know why they wouldn't then use his earliest Topps card from the Red Sox.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Looks like there are quite a few of the 2013 ones that aren't rookie cards, or at least "true" rookie cards:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_12.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I'm glad I pulled mine the year before ;)
january3.jpg

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
The '90 Topps Ryan is another that is not a rookie image either.I would be pissed the Garciaparra isn't a earlier image too.At least go with a Red Sox photo.Also, I noticed this year's set of these Topps did not white the bottom of the card so the autograph stands like like they did the year before.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I see, it seems that the issue was with the redemption card. Looks like Topps did RC reprints for 2012 Tier One, but later reprints for 2013. They just used the same template for the redmemption cards and forgot to remove the word "rookie."

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Put the pic of the card on Tweeeeeeeter and see if Topps gives you a slightly logical answer on there.

Sucks they don't even show him in his Sox uni.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles

That's what I was suspecting as well. The obvious question is why did they choose 2005 Topps??? I'm not really a Sox fan, but I only collect cards with Nomar in a Red Sox uniform. I believe other Nomar collectors feel the same way because the demand for his non-Red Sox cards is pretty low and rare cards can be had for a low price if he's with a different team. Topps could have definitely chosen a more iconic card from previous years...I guess I shouldn't assume that Topps knows anything about their customers, the hobby, etc. PATHETIC!

Apr 13, 2014
redemption cards in baseball = "death card" in tarot... no matter what the previous cards were, its a punch in the nuts, bringing back the memories of the time you had expectations and got screwed by a dingdong on the phone.

oh, and thanks topps :wink:

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
That's what I was suspecting as well. The obvious question is why did they choose 2005 Topps??? I'm not really a Sox fan, but I only collect cards with Nomar in a Red Sox uniform. I believe other Nomar collectors feel the same way because the demand for his non-Red Sox cards is pretty low and rare cards can be had for a low price if he's with a different team. Topps could have definitely chosen a more iconic card from previous years...I guess I shouldn't assume that Topps knows anything about their customers, the hobby, etc. PATHETIC!

Are you going to keep it?

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
Bummer, I have a few Topps Redemptions pending but I'll never buy one in hopes of getting a certain card. Just too many horror stories.

Members online

Latest posts