User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still doing COMC challenges?

olerud363
     @olerud363
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone still doing COMC challenges?

They're doing their best to encourage people to help with their database by doing the challenges. The $5 per 10,000 points promo didn't seem to go over very well. I tried it but by around 2600 points I decided it wasn't worth the time for just five bucks.

A few days ago they brought back the $1 per 1000 points promo, "but just for a limited time". I've been able to accumulate a few bucks, but my fastest time is still almost twice the current record.

Anyone else doing the challenges? [MENTION=4428]MrMet[/MENTION]?

- Rodrick
    Collecting John Olerud cards and memorabilia.
    My hobby website: www.cardboardcorner.weebly.com

Thanks to JBel4331 for the awesome custom signature and avatar!

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, banging out those dollars, I'm actually doing it right now, haha

Gotta earn some money so I can add some Mets autos to my collection. Since I restarted playing Thurs or Fri I've earned about 10 bucks, and I really haven't been going after it hard. I can average about a buck every 20 minutes, if I try

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you haven't noticed, the reason the times are so fast are that the people who have them don't care what the database looks like and just keep pressing not here.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiansFan View Post
    In case you haven't noticed, the reason the times are so fast are that the people who have them don't care what the database looks like and just keep pressing not here.
    Doing that wouldn't earn you any points, and I'm doing it properly, and have the third fastest time this week and 18th overall, so I'd say you're wrong on all points

boilboil1980
     ripkingsrippin
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did some today, but 30 minutes for $1 is pretty rough

Want to try out Ripkings? Want a COUPON CODE? Pm me!

Check out our upcoming breaks at https://ripkings.com/?page_id=120

Follow us on twitter - https://twitter.com/RIPKINGSRippin

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    Doing that wouldn't earn you any points, and I'm doing it properly, and have the third fastest time this week and 18th overall, so I'd say you're wrong on all points
    Ok. Guess all those blanks on the website are just cards that haven't gotten there data filled in.

olerud363
     @olerud363
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the fastest time is around 57 seconds for the card number challenge, or about a second per card. I don't know how anyone could recognize and type in a number that quickly, and repeat it fifty times. My best time is about 1:40 and I can't see myself getting any better than maybe 1:30.

- Rodrick
    Collecting John Olerud cards and memorabilia.
    My hobby website: www.cardboardcorner.weebly.com

Thanks to JBel4331 for the awesome custom signature and avatar!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiansFan View Post
    Yup it's bull. I understand COMC is using this to help but they gotta police it.

My one current beef is how slow changes are being to incorrect descriptions. I have a Austin Jackson Gold Refractor that was listed as Drew Stubbs. I immediately submitted a correction and a week later it's waiting for approval still.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olerud363 View Post
    I think the fastest time is around 57 seconds for the card number challenge, or about a second per card. I don't know how anyone could recognize and type in a number that quickly, and repeat it fifty times. My best time is about 1:40 and I can't see myself getting any better than maybe 1:30.

- Rodrick
    Even if the person could, my internet couldn't do it in under a minute if I just pressed not here every time! But it is fastest time with 100% accuracy so I don't think those fast times will count if they are just jamming not visible

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still doing them. My fastest time on the card number thing is about 1:06. The hardest part is just tracking down the numbers since the are all over the place on different cards. The fastest times are probably for people who lucked into a series of cards with fairly consistent # placement. After finally accepting that doing these is basically free money, I pulled the trigger on several cards on my watch list that were above what I'd normally want to pay. But since it's like paying for them with someone else's money, I didn't feel so bad about it. And in about a day, I'll have made back what I spent on them. I just wish they could some how group sets together or something so it would go faster.

I think the challenges, and even all the catalog problems, actually have gotten more eyes on the site in the past month as I've sold more cards since April 1 than I had since December.
    Last edited by DaClyde; 04-19-2014 at 01:26 PM.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for fun, I timed myself getting a dollar, took me just over 18min

Edit to add: and while doing that I just moved up to first this week and seventh all time (and this is for the baseball players category) for a 50card run
    Last edited by MrMet; 04-19-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they had some guidelines for certain sets, this might be more productive. For instance, I usually either skip or put "Not visible" for the card numbers of Starting Lineup cards. Sometimes it accepts it, sometimes not if someone has used the uniform number as the card number. There is often a big 10-digit number at the bottom, but I don't know if that's usable or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tried....Takes about 20 seconds for me on any browser before it submits my answer.
    My name is Bryan. You can reach me at Boylen33@aol.com or on AIM at Boylen33.

Follow me on Twitter @BryanBoylen

AstroBag5
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried once. Got bored. All I know is that the Bagwells that pop up in my searching either arent Bagwell at all, or are just plain mislabeled. Whoever is just clicking buttons Willy nilly is mucking up my search results.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I toyed with it. Did 3 sets of $50 but was only given credit for 2 of them even though I didn't mess up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast