User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the market value of the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigunitcards View Post
    PSA lists 1,200 graded Mantles and Beckett has 130. So would we say there are likely < 2000 real '52 Mantles in existence? Does that seem like a likely graded/ungraded estimate to you guys?
    There are probably tens of thousands of 1952 Topps Mantle cards surviving for several reasons:

1.) He was double-printed sheets of 1952 Topps high numbers

2.) His card was saved more because he was already one of the most popular players in New York.

3.) Unlike tobacco cards, modern bubble gum cards were saved at a far greater rate.

Just this past auction period (2 months) we had three 1952 Topps Mantle cards consigned to us, all ungraded. We then submitted them to PSA for our consignors. I've handled probably 25 raw 1952 Topps Mantle cards. By far, there are thousands of more 1952 Topps Mantle cards just waiting to be discovered....most of them in the hands of non-collectors.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For "die-hard" knowlegable collectors, it's all about the '51.

But like most things, perception IS reality and the perception in the Public and most Collectors minds' it's all about the '52. And that is what will ALWAYS drive the prices/value and demand.

Personally, I prefer the '52. But not for value, but rather because I prefer the design and look of the '52 set much more than the '51. Given the choice, I like the '54 design the best, but he's not in that set anyway...
    Last edited by gt2590; 04-25-2014 at 07:09 PM.
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to create a similar titled thread and then found this one and thought about just revisiting it and seeing what people think today which is ~5.5 years later since the last post in here.

It is interesting to read these thoughts and to see that in 2014 we were thinking $7,000 was the going price for a PSA 1 and maybe a floor of $5,000.

It appears those prices have gone up but what is wild is how few sales there really are unless you have access to some sort of paid database for prior sales? Anyone have datapoints for sales of like PSA 2s or 1s or AUTH over the last few years to get a sense of how much they go for now or should expect to pay?

I did find another dated post on another site which indicated an AUTH one which looked like it had gone through the dishwasher went for ~$4k, so pretty sure that means the price of poker has gone up and begs the question if it is worth it to just own the cardboard regardless of condition but is $5k or more too much to pay for something that is extremely beaten up?

Finally, I loved the #'s or discussion around how many there are. Someone said close to 2,000 and I looked and it appears there are ~1,600 on PSA now and Beckett has ~170 which means the guess of ~2,000 authentic ones out there is probably pretty close if I had to guess.
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Entire Private Collection: 2,626/2,891 - 90.8%

Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016

jbhofmann
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MansGame View Post
    I wanted to create a similar titled thread and then found this one and thought about just revisiting it and seeing what people think today which is ~5.5 years later since the last post in here.

It is interesting to read these thoughts and to see that in 2014 we were thinking $7,000 was the going price for a PSA 1 and maybe a floor of $5,000.

It appears those prices have gone up but what is wild is how few sales there really are unless you have access to some sort of paid database for prior sales? Anyone have datapoints for sales of like PSA 2s or 1s or AUTH over the last few years to get a sense of how much they go for now or should expect to pay?

I did find another dated post on another site which indicated an AUTH one which looked like it had gone through the dishwasher went for ~$4k, so pretty sure that means the price of poker has gone up and begs the question if it is worth it to just own the cardboard regardless of condition but is $5k or more too much to pay for something that is extremely beaten up?

Finally, I loved the #'s or discussion around how many there are. Someone said close to 2,000 and I looked and it appears there are ~1,600 on PSA now and Beckett has ~170 which means the guess of ~2,000 authentic ones out there is probably pretty close if I had to guess.
    Last 3 intact Mantle PSA1 have sold for over $10K. (Watchcount eBay data only)

$14K
    $12K
    $11K

One that had a hole all the way through the surface, $6,600K.

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife actually started following prices on the 52T after seeing one at a show for sale for $14,000 or something that looked like it had been through the wash, graded SGC 1 IIRC, and the guy was sure he'd sell it at something close to that price. She wants me to sell everything else to buy one, and I can't really say she's wrong. Prices in the hobby as a whole seem to be rising, from the latest Bowman prospects to blue chip vintage, and I think people's expectations now are just that any 52T in 4 figures is a bargain no matter what condition. This in turn is lifting the prices on 51B and 53T. I assume 52 Bowmans are also rising, but I haven't looked lately.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhofmann View Post
    Last 3 intact Mantle PSA1 have sold for over $10K. (Watchcount eBay data only)

$14K
    $12K
    $11K

One that had a hole all the way through the surface, $6,600K.
    Makes sense regarding the PSA 1s. I figured $10k plus is where you will be looking on price.

For AUTH it is funny you mention the one for $6.6k. There is on on eBay now which is laminated and alterned (BGS) and one which a freaking kid must have drawn all over it to make Mantle have a long beard LOL. Just hard to pull trigger on a card which is so damn beat up and for something on the order of $6k or $7k or whatever. Just so much money for something in such terrible shape. Much rather scrap together the extra $$ and get a decent PSA 1 if that is what you are in for.

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    My wife actually started following prices on the 52T after seeing one at a show for sale for $14,000 or something that looked like it had been through the wash, graded SGC 1 IIRC, and the guy was sure he'd sell it at something close to that price. She wants me to sell everything else to buy one, and I can't really say she's wrong. Prices in the hobby as a whole seem to be rising, from the latest Bowman prospects to blue chip vintage, and I think people's expectations now are just that any 52T in 4 figures is a bargain no matter what condition. This in turn is lifting the prices on 51B and 53T. I assume 52 Bowmans are also rising, but I haven't looked lately.
    Your comment about her wanting you to sell everything for just one of these is something I have thought about a lot. Part of me, as I get older, feels like the hobby has changed SO much and maybe vintage cards is where all the future value will be when we all look back. Then again, not sure how fun it is just buying/selling online vs old school breaking wax, trading and having more fun with it on a continual basis. Interesting topic though... I would love to have one of these Mantle's one day but feel like I need to pony up the $10k + in order to own a PSA 1 because these authentic graded ones are damn near washed up cardboard and not sure I would be happy paying $6k or $7k for one. It might make me feel even more disappointed lol

rp7001
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do need a Mantle at some point to truly complete my Topps Yankees run, but I hadn't looked up prices until now, and it hasn't been something I am shopping for at this time. I imagined $3-5K for the card. Hope the prices come down a bit, maybe with the next recession.

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
    I do need a Mantle at some point to truly complete my Topps Yankees run, but I hadn't looked up prices until now, and it hasn't been something I am shopping for at this time. I imagined $3-5K for the card. Hope the prices come down a bit, maybe with the next recession.
    I think your comment around prices coming down is interesting because you could see that happen... especially if a recession hits or people start to let go of the cards. This is purely a supply/demand issue since they rarely show up on eBay which is the #1 place I feel people look for cards. That said, not sure a decent looking one will ever sell for $3k but maybe. From what I have been reading online or from other people is that anything $5k or below looks like something you can barely even recognize as a card... or the one where a kid drew all over it if that makes you happy for $6k. So interesting. So sad that so many are at the bottom of the Atlantic too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would never say it couldnt happen but if you can find anything remotely resembling a full and authentic ‘52 mantle for under $5k, it would be a miracle.
    looking for: 2018 topps mini #us300 juan soto green /5 and all 2012 & 2013 high profile rendon cards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would never say it couldnt happen but if you can find anything remotely resembling a full and authentic 52 mantle for under $5k, it would be a miracle.
    looking for: 2018 topps mini #us300 juan soto green /5 and all 2012 & 2013 high profile rendon cards

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walt_altmen View Post
    i would never say it couldn't happen but if you can find anything remotely resembling a full and authentic ‘52 mantle for under $5k, it would be a miracle.
    I agree with this statement. Pretty much have found in the last 48 hours people saying that hardly recognizable authentic graded copies go for $5k... getting it below that would be tough... then again, one has to argue for whether they want a completely damaged Mantle for that kind of money. Feels like owning a baseball signed by Babe Ruth and authenticated but you can't see the auto because it is SO faded but the LOA shows Ruth held the ball and put a pen to it at some point... just can't see it anymore. Kind of like huh

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I have never been able to pull the trigger on high value graded vintage. Just too many decades of circulation, increased risk of alterations. I will say though, even with the 1952 Topps being so iconic, I would consider the 1951 Bowman Mantle RC over the 1952 Topps Mantle.
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mantles like that are entirely out of my league. Only admiring from a far for now. haha

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    Personally, I have never been able to pull the trigger on high value graded vintage. Just too many decades of circulation, increased risk of alterations. I will say though, even with the 1952 Topps being so iconic, I would consider the 1951 Bowman Mantle RC over the 1952 Topps Mantle.
    I actually agree. I think that would be a pretty good survey question and think 1951 has a shot to be more desired.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast