Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Donald Sterling mess: "what would you do?" questions

dodgergeo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Donald Sterling mess: "what would you do?" questions

It's been almost three days since the story broke, and I'd be shocked if everyone here hasn't been talking/thinking about it for the past couple of days. It's been all over social media and has unfortunately dominated what has been a VERY entertaining opening round of the NBA playoffs.

So, put yourself in the following scenarios:

* the team you root for is in the playoffs and the owner of the team made the comments. Would you support a player walkout?

* you are a player on the team. Would you personally boycott (as Chauncey Billips said he'd do on SVP and Russillo) or lobby for an overall team boycott, knowing that doing so might mean you ultimately won't advance in the playoffs?

As a Trailblazer fan, had it been Portland's Paul Allen making the remarks, I would have absolutely been okay if the team had chosen not to play. Matter of fact, I would have been proud as heck if Aldridge and Lillard led the team in making an emphatic statement against racism. As I watched the Clippers deposit their warmup jackets at center court and display their shirts inside-out I was thinking, "That's it? That's the statement?"

If I was a player, I would opt for a minimum one game boycott. I get that we (the players) are playing for each other, and we're playing for a championship, but sometimes you gotta make a stand for what's right. What bigger statement can be made than refusing to play for this guy until something is done?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the fans, I heard an idea I liked: do NOT wear Clippers' gear to the game. Everyone should show up in "homemade" jerseys; i.e. white t-shirts with your favorite player's name and number. Kind of lame, but it strikes the balance between supporting the players and not the owner.

In all reality, the absolute worst thing that can happen to this old asshole is to have the team taken away from him; and that would still probably net him $700 million.
    "I'm an acquired taste; if you don't like me, you should acquire some taste!"-- Stephen Colbert

Trade album Personal Collection

dodgergeo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh. That's what Barkley said today. If you force Sterling to sell, he turns $12.5 million into a billion (Chuck's valuation). Some punishment.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NBA should suspend him indefinitely. The fellow owners of nba teams should lock him out of their meetings and dealings. The players should play they are all professionals. NBA should grant them permission to take clippers off their jerseys and play with Los Angeles on their chest.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a tough question because other than being a (well known) bigoted racist, there is not much anyone can do but slander him. Having said that, if I were a black (or any) employee of his, I would just do my job and cash the checks. He is so far removed from the 'game' it really would not matter/bother me aside from anecdotally. He is a old, perhaps senile, racist and the sad part is that I think he truly believes he was trying to give the girl good advice from his warped perspective.

However, the NBA does have some pull here and I would not be surprised to see some form of retaliation imposed. Perhaps a fine? Who knows, but I can tell you that he honestly could care less with his age and wealth. He will laugh this up with his white friends at the 'boys club' and that will be that, no matter what the NBA, his team, or the media does. He believes he is right and that is that. I would LOVE to see the NBA lock him out, black ball him and give the players the option to willfully void their contractual agreements (allowing them to sign elsewhere) but I just do not see anything that can really be done to him without hurting the team, more so than he has already done.

Sigh... I guess at the end of the day the fans, media, and all who are involved/offended will move on. I mean lets face it, he is just another ignorant person that I honestly have pity for. His comments were not slung out of hatred or anger but rather honest opinion. He really believes what he was saying was right, common sense even. "Why would you want to advertise hanging out with black people?" To him this is a logical and honest question trying to 'educate' the girl. This is the real disturbing part... Poor old guy, all the wealth in the world can not buy you out of ignorance.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope some ghetto *WORD NOT AVALIABLE IN THIS DOJO* kidnap him and lynch him
    Last edited by cgilmo; 04-28-2014 at 09:39 PM.

amosrusie
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like Sterling was set up by his girlfriend, but that does not relieve him from the burden of his offensive comments.

If public money was used by the Clippers, that would seem to be the best venue to extract a measure of justice.
    Scott

Did your favorite player ever hit 5 home runs in a doubleheader?

amosrusie
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
    I hope some ghetto *WORD NOT AVALIABLE IN THIS DOJO* kidnap him and lynch him
    C'mon, man. You're better than that.
    Last edited by cgilmo; 04-28-2014 at 09:39 PM.
    Scott

Did your favorite player ever hit 5 home runs in a doubleheader?

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
    I hope some ghetto *NOPE mod edit* kidnap him and lynch him

This word is not welcome on this forum.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Colbert 17 View Post
    C'mon, man. You're better than that.
    Perhaps I should elaborate.

I hope those "," as Donald Tokowitz so eloquently calls them, kidnap him, tie him to a tree, and drop the noose. Considering how much he hates these so-called "," it would be a hilarious punishment.

Oh yeah, his real last name is Tokowitz, not Sterling. His family changed it when the immigrated in the '30's to get away from the communist regime of the third reich. Which makes it all the more amusing that he came from a background of discrimination, yet he's a discriminating piece of pond scum.

I hope he's lynched. Or shot in a drive-by. Who cares, one less piece of trash in the gene pool
    Last edited by cgilmo; 04-28-2014 at 10:08 PM.

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    3 day ban.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you wait and see what kind of ban Sterling gets, then give the same to JH?

Jeff-sealevel
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgilmo View Post
    3 day ban.
    Should be the very first lifetime ban. Insufferable.

fcbsportscards
    Mentioned
    600 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_bichel View Post
    Should be the very first lifetime ban. Insufferable.

While he is a bit direct, most of his arguments have merit.

jbhofmann
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a couple things I've not heard from anyone yet on the issue.

1. Staples pulling the building out from under him.

2. Staples food service/game day employees pull a no call/no show. I'm guessing from my game day experience that the vast majority of these workers are minorities.

They are absolutely essential and would devastate the game if nobody was there to work.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast