Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SF Giants talk and collecting thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Updated: I'm re-purposing this thread to be a general SF Giants fan and collecting discussion and showoff thread.

I've been a die-hard Giants fan since I first got into baseball in 1989. For the past few years I've been collecting SF Giants related cards exclusively. Mostly just rookie/prospect cards, but also any <#50 chrome cards I can get my hands on.

The centerpiece of my collection is my 1958-present SF Giants alumni rookie/prospect card collection. It's complete, but needing a few # upgrades here and there. In several cases, the player only appeared on minor league cards, so I got the first one of those. If the player never appeared on any cards, then I hunted down a picture of the player and designed my own.

Last edited:

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Earlier this month, I was pretty excited to add a group of fairly difficult-to-locate rookie cards, all #/10:

2004 SP Prospects Gold #/10: Kevin Frandsen, Clay Timpner, Will Thompson
2004Frandsen.jpg2004Timpner.jpg2004Thompson.jpg

Frandsen and Timpner actually played for the Giants. Thompson never made it.

And, these #/25 beauties....

2007 Bowman Sterling Black Refractor #/25 David Huff; 2004 SPx Spectrum #/25 Justin Knoedler; 2013 Elite Status #/25: Dan Slania, Tyler Horan
2006Huff25.jpg2004Knoedler25.jpg2013Slania.jpg2013Horan.jpg

Huff is on the 40 man right now (DL) and Knoedler made a few late-inning appearances at catcher for the Giants over 3 seasons. Slania and Horan are current minor leaguers in the Giants farm system.

Last edited:

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Not a rookie card, but a nice addition to my Gold Refractor hoard...

2004 Bowman Chrome Draft Matt Cain, Gold Refractor #/50
2004Cain.jpg

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Another addition:

2008 Elite Status Auto: Jorge Bucardo, #/25

Dude's still toiling away in the Giants farm system. Currently in high-A San Jose.
2008BucardoE.jpg

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Couple of other low-number additions:

2007 Bowman Chrome Orange Auto Manny Burriss, #/25
2007Burriss25.jpg

2009 Elite Status Auto Matt Graham, #/50
Graham was drafted by the Giants and played minor league ball for 3 years, but it appears that he left the game after the 2012 season.
2009Graham.jpg

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
A few recent additions to my collection...

2006 Bowman Sterling Black Refractor Tyler Colvin #/25, currently platooning in LF for the Giants.
2006Colvin.jpg

2004 Bowman Chrome...
Kendry Flores #/25, Joan Gregorio #/50, Martin Agosta #/50

Young pitchers among the top 20 prospects in the Giants org.

2014Flores.jpg 2014Gregorio.jpg 2014AgostaM.jpg

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
So, how long before the Giants cease to have the best record in baseball? Dropping 3 of 4 to the Nats, and getting ganked in the 9th inning of consecutive games by the Rockies in SF makes for some pretty depressing baseball over in the City by the Bay.

The Giants have been on a magic carpet ride for the past 60 games, and in getting flat-out dominated by the Nats and exposed by Colorado's bench/AAA affiliate, it seems to be totally over.

Not sure what changes will be needed, but the bats have fallen asleep, Voggy's regressed, and Cain and Lincecum are looking like serious contract mistakes.

Last edited:

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
A couple of new additions:

2013 Bowman Chrome Black Refractors #/15, Joan Gregorio and Gustavo Cabrera. Cabrera's the guy who suffered an off-field wrist injury late in 2013 so severe that, according to Baseball America, he "appeared to nearly lose his right hand." Bobby Evans says the injury isn't career threatening, but Cabrera's going to have a long rehab ahead of him. No time-table from what I can see.

Gregorio got the chrome auto treatment in 2014 Bowman Chrome.

The black refractors remind me of the base refractors for pre 2006-Bowman Chrome.

2013Gregorio15.jpg 2013Cabrera.jpg

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Hmm, the Giants just signed Cuban defector Daniel Carbonell, a 23 year old outfielder with "5 tool talent" according to scouts. It's a major league deal, so he was put directly on the 40 man roster and his option clock starts now.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Nice stuff here.
Sorry to hijack this thread but, anyone interested in a lot of Bowman all San Fran Giants cards

Green Paper Parallel/150 of Sandoval
Purple (wal-mart) paper exclusive of Brian Ragirr not numbered
Base Chrome of Brian Ragirr
Base card Brian Ragirr
mini chrome of Edwin Escobar
and base cards of(2)Sandoval, Pence, Cain, Lincecum,Hudson, Flores , Bumgarner
$5.50 Dlvd

Last edited:

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Nice stuff here.
Sorry to hijack this thread but, anyone interested in a lot of Bowman all San Fran Giants cards

Green Paper Parallel/150 of Sandoval
Purple (wal-mart) paper exclusive of Brian Ragirr not numbered
Base Chrome of Brian Ragirr
mini chrome of Edwin Escobar
$5.50 Dlvd

No thanks.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Can anyone get me a line on these cards? I know what they are, I just need a resource to get them that does not involve me travelling 2000 miles every year to the Giants Fanfest.

2013teamissue_crop.jpg
2012FanfestMeulens.jpg

I'll put a $10 bounty on one of each (signed or not) if any one can track them down. I've got the Meulens that looks like this Kelly, but I don't have any other Meulens cards like this or any Kelly cards at all. I suspect there might be a Meulens in one more design, and possibly two or three more Kellys. Aside from the same handful that sit on eBay (which I've already picked up), these cards almost never show up on eBay.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Can anyone get me a line on these cards? I know what they are, I just need a resource to get them that does not involve me travelling 2000 miles every year to the Giants Fanfest.

I've never seen those cards offered anywhere other than FanFest, or on Ebay (being sold by people who went to FanFest).

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Signed an outfielder? We gonna use him as trade bait to get some middle relievers that can keep us from losing to the Rockies?

He's signed for 4 years on the cheap, but I think his value is mostly going to be for development potential. Giants don't have many outfield prospects in the farm system, and that could be a problem down the road.

Casilla's been activated, and he's a huge upgrade over Kontos (who was optioned back to Fresno). That should solidify the bullpen in the future.

I'd venture to say that Romo's implosions in Friday and Saturday's games could have been averted if Pagan was paying attention. He threw to the wrong base twice on Friday, allowing runners to advance, and on Saturday he misplayed the liner that turned into the inside-the-park homer. Sunday's mess can be put mostly on the pen, but in all his defensive brilliance, Craw failed to turn two.

That being said, Giants should have scored a lot more runs in Sunday's game. 9 guys left on base in the first 4 innings.

Members online

Latest posts