Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yu Darvish loses a No-Hitter with 2 outs in the 9th.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yu had a no-hitter with 2 outs in the 9th, then David Ortiz singled.
It was the second time this happened to Yu. He also lost a no-hitter in the 9th with two outs on opening day 2013.

Last edited:

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
He was cruising and perfect until rios and odor had a mess up on a flyball with two outs in the 7th... They gave rios an error an then he got rattled and walked a couple. If that ball was caught I truly believe Yu gets a perfecto he was destroying the sox

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Didn't he lose another within the last 2 years in the 8th or 9th as well? (A third one in addition to the Astros)? Dave Steib

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The MLB Network just said Davish has had a perfect game through 5+ inning five times in his career. Five times in just more than two seasons. That's incredible.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Didn't he lose another within the last 2 years in the 8th or 9th as well? (A third one in addition to the Astros)? Dave Steib

I think you are right on the 3rd almost no hitter.Didn't Steib eventually throw a no hitter?

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I watch as many ranger games as I can and today was the best he has ever thrown. I said he is throwing well enough to be perfect after two innings. First eight at bats against him by righties today: 1 made contact (not including foul balls), weak dribbler by Pedroia to leadoff the game

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
After tonight's close one, I have to think the MLB should convene a group of official scorers to review every no-hitter before making it official in the MLB records with the only task to determine if the hits and errors seem correctly scored. I'd hate to think someone gets a no hitter or misses a no-hitter because the official scorer was friendly to the team being no-hit or friendly to the team that has the no-hitter going.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
That should be an error. Pop ups in Major League Baseball should be an error if not caught. Pitchers shouldn't be punished for bed fielding, which is the point of recording errors isn't it?

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
That should be an error. Pop ups in Major League Baseball should be an error if not caught. Pitchers shouldn't be punished for bed fielding, which is the point of recording errors isn't it?

yes, I think it should be an error - it should have been caught with ordinary effort, and alterntely
there was an error in communication that caused the ball not to be caught.

One could rule it a hit because it never touched leather (so it fell cleanly despite the fact MLB
fielders should be able to have caught the ball with reasonable effort).

Official scorer in Arlington calls it error, had this game been in Boston, I guarantee it would have been ruled a hit.

That's why I think you need to require reviews of the hits/errors by a committee at MLB HQ with no skin in the game (say, a group of retired official scorers) for any no-hitter so any no-hitter in the record books has been verified to be free of bias from an official scorer who has skin in the game.

as for errors, I just see them as requirement to be recorded in order to determine the earned runs stat and maybe fielding percentage to a lesser degree. Otherwise, who cares that Steve Sax couldn't complete a throw to first base for the longest time other than we needed to figure out Dodger pitchers' ER stat or quantify how bad of second baseman Sax was during his issues.

EDIT: and I don't believe popups should be automatically errors if not caught. for instance, think of a batter who flares a ball into right field - should it be an automatic error because the 2B has to run 25 feet into the outfield to try to catch it or that the right fielder has to run 50 feet in to try to catch the ball and the ball falls between them since they weren't able to complete the distance quick enough to catch it? I like the reasonable effort as the first part of consideration of an error because you know the skills of MLB fielders to know if an average fielder might have been able to get to the ball and make a catch on it or if the fly ball was hit perfectly that it would fall anyways despite the efforts to get it from a typical MLB fielder.

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
The official rule was reviewed on MLB Network last night which apparently clearly states that no fielder NEEDS to touch a ball at all for an error to be ruled. I never knew this because as many have pointed out, balls have always been ruled hits if they go untouched. But just because something has always been a certain way doesn't make it right or wrong. I'm assuming official scorers don't like making a judgment call in regards to "effort" against major league players. A few years ago there seemed to be mounting support for "team errors" but don't hear much anymore

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
A pop up is reasonable effort required. A blooper is a different story. Bloopers don't go as high as pop ups. And pop-up not caught "should" be an error. It has never been called that way, but it is wrong to penalize a pitcher, reward a hitter, and not punish fielders for a pop up falling to the ground

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
This reminds me of the near no hitter Wood threw years ago when he lost a no hitter on a ground ball that Orie couldn't cleanly field, and was a hit.Game was at Wrigley Field, and scored still gave batter a hit.Some thought that should have been an error.

Members online

Latest posts