Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS GRADED CARD SALE PRICES ARE THEY GOING UP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Recently I have seen prices of PSA, but mostly BGS cards graded 9 going for more money than I remember them selling at prior. While this is just my opinion, I always thought that the last several year maybe 5 to 10 years, Beckett & PSA were grading cards much easier than in years before. For instance my Jeter SP that I submitted in the 90's came back a 8.5. At shows and on ebay I had seen copies that were 9's that looked a lot worse than my card. I believe all the high grades was all due to the competition between the 2 companies. I always thought a card graded a 9 should sell for way more than the (at the time) book value or market price. But that was not happening. As you all know, you could pick up (Graded 9 mint) cards of some players for the cost of submitting it to get graded. Recently though I have seen 9 Mints selling for higher prices. Granted that most are autographed cards, but some are not. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Mamunrud

Aug 14, 2008
Dubuque, Iowa
I'm moving to more vintage because it's less volatile, you really don't have to do any prospecting on who's going to make it and who's a bust. Rarely do you see big drops in values, or see players like Braun or Arod get in trouble and then you can't give their stuff away. The vintage players have all pretty much gone stable and the only factor is the condition of the card.

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
IMHO
I've seen a spike in 9 grades values both PSA and BGS but I think it's because the cards themselves are rarer - which is causing the higher prices (eg short prints, samples and promos etc...)

With the grading standards - without a doubt both companies have laxed over the years.
There's also too much under handed happenings too - could be me just fletching but I'm seeing a lot of unworthy cards get uber high grades and the same sellers seem to always get those inflated grades

Sorry for the rant gents

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
IMHO
I've seen a spike in 9 grades values both PSA and BGS but I think it's because the cards themselves are rarer - which is causing the higher prices (eg short prints, samples and promos etc...)

With the grading standards - without a doubt both companies have laxed over the years.
There's also too much under handed happenings too - could be me just fletching but I'm seeing a lot of unworthy cards get uber high grades and the same sellers seem to always get those inflated grades

Sorry for the rant gents

I brought this up to a friend once and he said there was no way a company would do something like this just to take care of good customers and possibly risk their reputation. I, on the other hand, think it's possible. Even on the authenticated autograph part. Out of all the people out there...how many buy something authenticated or graded and resubmit or submit to another company? Do people do it? Yes. But not all that much and rarely on the autograph front. For a lot of people, that's the whole reason they buy something of this nature...because they trust it. And worse case scenario, the company always has the out of it was merely their opinion.

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
I brought this up to a friend once and he said there was no way a company would do something like this just to take care of good customers and possibly risk their reputation. I, on the other hand, think it's possible. Even on the authenticated autograph part. Out of all the people out there...how many buy something authenticated or graded and resubmit or submit to another company? Do people do it? Yes. But not all that much and rarely on the autograph front. For a lot of people, that's the whole reason they buy something of this nature...because they trust it. And worse case scenario, the company always has the out of it was merely their opinion.

I'm not saying that both companies are to blame though -
I've seen many many 10's that would be 9's or even 8.5's if a regular Joe Schmo submitted the cards

And to boot - anyone see that 96 rave graded PSA 10 numbered 31/150??????????????

Look at that card from BC and then look at this card:

???????????????????
Someone knows someone at PSA?
Mayyyyyyybe

Members online

Latest posts