Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Memorial Day 5/26 2014 Daily FCB Morning thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Have never started one, but hopefully Dave and Barry have Off today. It's 4AM here, with great weather in the Forecast.

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees that [MENTION=2659]tpeichel[/MENTION] hooked me up with 2 cards to finish up a set. Thank you sir! :D

And to wish everyone a Fantastic holiday! Personally, I'm taking little man to see X-Men 3D later.

While it's a great day for grilling, chilling and unofficial start of summer activities, we also need to remember the approximately 1.3 Million who have lost their lives in military Service of our Country...

Last edited:

Yanks2151

Nov 9, 2013
Good Morning! Have a great Memorial Day!

This is the ship I lived on 1990-1993. The USS Chosin CG-65. Although I think of every man and woman who have given their lives for our freedom there is a special place in my heart for the Marines in Korea "The Chosin Few"

image-121.jpg

USS CHOSIN is named in commemoration of the First Marine Division’s breakout from a Chinese Communist encirclement at the Chosin Reservoir during the Korean War in the bitter winter of 1950. Historians term the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir as the most savage battle of modern warfare. It is compared to Tarawa, the bloodiest battle of World War II.

The battle of Chosin was fought in the mountains of North Korea, near Manchuria. It pitted about 15,000 allied ground troops, mostly elements of the U.S. First Marine Division, a regimental combat team of the U.S. Army’s Seventh infantry Division, and elements of the British Royal Marines against 120,000 Chinese Communists in 10 Divisions who had been ordered to annihilate them “to the last man.” Following the landing at Inchon and the seizure of Seoul, Korea, in September 1950, the First Marine Division reembarked on amphibious ships and transferred to the east coast of Korea. Landing at Wonson, the Fifth and Seventh Marines were sent to Hamhung to prepare for the advance on the Yalu. The First Marines initially remained near Wonson.

In November 1950, eight of those Chinese Communist Divisions struck the First Marine Division. Major General Oliver P. Smith ordered the Marines to reverse direction and overcome the Communist roadblocks. The attack in the new direction - the breakout - continued for 13 days until Marines linked with Army troops in the Hungnam perimeter.

By December, the Division had closed to Hungnam after a deliberate and calculated withdrawal, one that cost the enemy an estimated 25,000 dead as opposed to 730 Marines killed. Skillful troop leadership and stubborn determination enabled the Marines to avert disaster that at first seemed inevitable.

The survivors were a part of that special day when our crew first manned the rails on her first day:
The survivors of the Battle of Chosin Reservoir are known as "The CHOSIN Few".

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Nope, not off today.

Rained a little last night. Not as much as I would've liked to have seen.

Most folks know how I feel about Veterans, so, I'll be short; if you see one, sincerely thank one.

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
Good morning everyone. On my way to my part time job and closing at my full time job, going to be a long day. Hope everyone enjoys their Memorial Day!

Hakuna Machado

May 20, 2014
Maryland
Good Morning and Happy Memorial Day to everyone. I hear the birds chirping outside my window of my bedroom so I know it is going to be a beautiful day. Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, and Corn on the Cob on the grill today. Yum

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Just didn't start this morning .
I worked with a Marine that was a POW in Korea - 100 plus captured 6 returned .
Picture086-1.jpg

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
My cousin was one of the very few POWs in the first desert exercise. Still has effects from it, but overall is fine and was able to make way up to his own Command...

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
Good morning. Going in to work 2 hours earlier than normal today. For those of you who don't know, or those that need a refresher, I work at a veterans cemetery. I'm supposed to have today off, but was asked to work. Didn't want to wake up, but it will all be worth it.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
If I see a Vet wearing part of his uniform at stadium I will thank them . Many times it shocks them that someone will do this . When I have an extra baseball and I see they are disabled with kids I will give or get one for them .
Picture101.jpg

Picture103.jpg

Last edited:

Members online