Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you rather a 9.0 grade with a 10 auto or a 9.5 grade with a 9 auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
For Bowman Chrome RC's....Would you rather a 9.0 grade with a 10 auto or a 9.5 grade with a 9 auto? Does a 9 auto kill a card more than a 9 with a 10 auto? Thanks fellas.....

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
9.5 grade with a 9 auto would be my vote.

The card condition is much more important than the auto condition IMO.

And much harder to get a good grade on...

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
Honestly, at that point, raw. But if forced to pick, I'd say 9.5/9 since I have to think the auto grade may be considered the most subjective of the grades given.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
9.5 with a 9 auto, crack the case and regrade. Like [MENTION=2244]jmc280zx[/MENTION] said, autograph grading is a joke and the difference between a 9 and 10 is often subjective to the grader's mood.

buck724

Jul 22, 2010
Definitely the 9.5 grade with a 9 auto. I'm also more interested in the card condition than an auto grade.

I have often thought about this topic. I would have loved this to have gotten a 9.5 but the cards were thick with the light brown border prone to chipping. Also on these cards, i have seen many of the auto's bleed. I had a Longoria Bowman Chrome Auto Orange back in the day, 9.5 with a 9 auto and it absolutely drove me nuts. to each their own. Both situations are not pleasant but i guess you have to have your brain side with the lesser. I prefer on the Mac a 10 Auto. But as opposed to bowman chrome etc where card grades impact , these APOH will go for a high money regardless. just my 2 cents .

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
9.5 with a 9 auto, crack the case and regrade. Like @jmc280zx said, autograph grading is a joke and the difference between a 9 and 10 is often subjective to the grader's mood.

Not sure how the autograph grading is anymore of a joke than the card grading. They are both highly subjective and easily changed depending on who looks at the card. Card grading is the biggest joke in the hobby, though it sure does make people a lot of money. I understand authentication purposes and the point of grading, but without standards (which I know we supposedly have, but see examples that fly in the face of those standards every day) that are actually applied and followed, the whole concept is a complete fleecing.

Sure, I'll sell them and make some money off them, but I'm aware enough to know that the entire concept is just ridiculous and completely manipulated.

Here is what I think is a very valid question: What % of cards that Beckett grades do you think the graders are instructed to grade with obviously low grades so that when the person gets the card back they say "Oh man, this was way under graded - I better resubmit and see if I can get sub-bumps," so that BGS can make additional money off of suckers paying to regrade the same card to get the grade it should have received in the first place?

Last edited:

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Not sure how the autograph grading is anymore of a joke than the card grading. They are both highly subjective and easily changed depending on who looks at the card. Card grading is the biggest joke in the hobby, though it sure does make people a lot of money. I understand authentication purposes and the point of grading, but without standards (which I know we supposedly have, but see examples that fly in the face of those standards every day) that are actually applied and followed, the whole concept is a complete fleecing.

There are plenty of examples of "bad" card grades and bad autograph grades. Outside of the cards simply being authenticated, it really is a crap shoot. I thought it was silly when BGS started adding an autograph grade to cards - it's all just a money grab. If the protective cases actually work then the 4 sub-grades shouldn't be affected over time but the ink on some cards could likely change due to the card surface and/or the type of pen/marker used.

Members online