Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tony Gwynn...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
One of those rare great players who always had positive publicity. You never read or heard anything bad about Gwynn.
And eight batting titles, mostly during the steroid era, is insane. What a legend.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I don't care at all about the Padres as a team, but Gwynn was one of my favorite players. It's sad that he's gone.

When I joined ebay in July, 1998, my very first bid (and win) was for a Tony Gwynn Topps RC because I never managed to pull one from a pack and I HAD to have one. I sent it to BGS in September, 2000 and it came back an "8". It's still in my PC.

Godspeed Mr. Padre.

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
I was in a meeting this morning when the alert from bleacher report came to my phone. I had to leave the meeting because I was shocked . RIP Tony

Liberate Baltimore

Jun 2, 2009
Columbia, Maryland
Last Monday night I listed a random 1983 Fleer Gwynn rookie just hoping to get 5 bucks for it. Tonight, it ended at 43 dollars. I suppose I should be thrilled over this, but I'm just not. Gwynn was a throwback and represented everything that is good about the game. It's a sad day for the game.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Nothing but excellent things to say about the man as each and every time the PAdres came through Chicago he was a class act. I knew he was sick but had no clue it was this bad. The baseball world has lost a good man today.

I had no idea cancer was that advanced either.Hopefully this will be a lesson learned to stay away from tobacco.Gwynn said it himself, cancer was from chewing all those years.I'm just thankful I never got addicted to it.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I very much loved his playing style and personality off the field. Even after he retired I have many fond memories of watching him tell great stories on TV while doing in-game analysis. I used to do an imitation of Gwynn with my brother that would start out with "Me, Mark and Sammy..."

R.I.P. Tony

He was an analyst for a ESPN and TBS for a number of years.Think he did some work on Padres Cox 4 network too.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The good and bad of an ebay-fest after someone dies. The bad is of course all the overpriced and ill-timed (purposeful by most) items that hit the bay. The good is uncovering secrets like this little gem (although it's signed and the asking price is too much). I'd love to find a cheap unsigned unsigned one someday. I have never seen one before today.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I met Tony at a card show years ago. He was one of the nicest most humble people I have ever met. We went to a Gwynn signing years ago and it was probably the slowest moving line ever BUT sometimes that is a good thing, in this case it was. I was 11 years old at the signing and when I started walking towards the table I had the bat my dad was getting signed in my hand and Tony said Hey there slugger! Then talked to us for a few minutes or so like we were the one signing. He made every person at that signing feel like a VIP. He took 3 different pictures with us (his idea, one of me, one of my dad, and one of me and my dad).

In 2001 I was at his final game in St.Louis, we got there extremely early to get Gwynns signature. We rushed in the stadium and piled up along the 3rd base line waiting for the Padres to begin their batting practice. As soon as the Padres took the field Gwynn walked out with nothing, no bat, no glove, no batting gloves, nothing. He began walking towards the 3rd base line and grabbed an ushers attention He asked the usher to get everyone in a line. After everyone was lined up he announced that he would sign as long as he could as long as everyone behaved. So Gwynn begins signing and talking to everyone and probably 20 people in this idiot with a barbeque grill lid (this is pre 9/11) comes up trying to cut in line well it irritated somebody and those 2 ended up in an argument. The guy with a BBQ lid hits the other guy with the lid. Tony Gwynn is standing there watching this happen and says THATS IT IM DONE. Missed Tonys autograph by about 5 people that day

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
R.I.P. Tony. I got into baseball when I was 9 in 1999, so I never saw Tony in his prime, but I was lucky that the Padres were in the NL West and I was able to see him a few times over those last couple years when they came to Phoenix.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
If you never saw Ted Williams hit, you were lucky enough to see Tony hit. Also one of my 2-3 favorite non-Brewers. The man practically invented the art of video watching for improvfement.

Members online