Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tony Gwynn...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Pharis

gwynn_reco.jpg

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
If I recall, that was a historic night for baseball. In St. Louis that same night, McGwire hit #500 & 501.

Also remember 94' as a 11 Year old. Matt Williams, Griffey, Thomas, and Especially Tony Gwynn got robbed of potential record setting seasons.
Yes I believe you are right and gwynn got his last hit 2,999 in st.louis the night before 3,000

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
Actually I wrote before I read your post thanks for proving my point, I remembered 13,000. Like I said the norm was 4,000 so that over 3x the people. I was there every year to see Gwynn at Montreal and Shea stadium. So it's like St. Louis have 100,000 at a regular game. The fans in Montreal were terrible for baseball but did come out for that game at least 13,000 worth. It was a joy.
The box score for the game (www.retrosheet.org) shows a huge attendance for that game of 13,540. Or not so huge after all.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I said for Montreal if you read the ending of the sentence, if you know anything about Montreal 4,000 fans is normal and they had over 13,000-18,000 that day. You do the math.

It was a pathetic showing regardless of how you try to spin it.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Great to see all the appreciation across the country for Gwynn. There will never be another person or player like Gwynn. Although I would love for one of the younger players to come up and make a run at .400 (I just hope he plays for the Padres or is from SD, keeping the tradition alive).

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Great to see all the appreciation across the country for Gwynn. There will never be another person or player like Gwynn. Although I would love for one of the younger players to come up and make a run at .400 (I just hope he plays for the Padres or is from SD, keeping the tradition alive).

That is a nice photo.I can't think of anyone other than Walker and Gwynn who has made a serious run at .400 in a long time.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Pretty sad here. Never imagined how I'd feel. I semi-knew it was coming and still hit deep down. For all the "teasing" my family gives me over my collection, it hit all of them hard, too.
Thanks for all the PM's from guys on here. I know it wasn't my family member, but I do appreciate guys thinking of me!

Members online