Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant. Who has had the better CAREER...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I know it is hard to quantify 2 completely different type of players, but if you had to chose, who would you say had the better career?

I think the high profile team and 'flair' gives Kobe an edge for me, however I have a soft spot for fundamentals and Duncan with his no-nonsense game play also speaks volumes to me. I guess another question is if you were going to build a team right now and could either take a RC Bryant or Duncan (knowing what type of career they had) who would you pick? For me, it all comes down to this....

Kobe was great with shades of phenomenal, certainly one of the best to ever play the game, but I believe Duncan was that too and also brought a level of floor/team generalship that Kobe never had. For that, I think Duncan was better at making those around him winners above and beyond what Kobe was capable of. So for me, although it is a tough choice, I give the nod to Duncan even though I am sure the arc of history with keep the light on Kobe well after Duncan falls in to the shadows.

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
Tim Duncan for the fact not once the Spurs never missed the playoffs and far better team leadership than Kobe. The one year Kobe went out it alone after getting rid of Shaq, Mailman, and Glove team missed the playoffs. Kobe leadership been questionable at best while Duncan meshed well with almost everyone he played with.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Duncan evolved during his career to go from supporting to lead and back to supporting and took a pay cut which gave his team flexibility so I say TD but love that both are 1 team lifers

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
FWIW, basketball-reference.com's ELO rating (totally subjective choices by internet people) has Duncan at #5 while Kobe is at #298 (in between Bill Wedman and Rony Seikaly). People like Tim.

tom

Jul 4, 2014
you have a good thinking cap i agree with your assessment even though both are greate one does not take aaaalllll the credit duncan who else..thats my choice
. i have both guys cards and beleave me i am glad i invested both,...they are tremendous innovators as well
what will win? what ever they do!now Shaq + Duncan they would have been great

tom

Jul 4, 2014
what are tims and kobe`s cards worth as in finest or chrome` what`s worth what?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Better player...Kobe. Better career...Duncan. Not even close as far as I'm concerned. I'd say the same thing about Lebron/Duncan.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Duncan does everything well, thus why's he's be coined "The Big Fundamental". Kobe can score. That's it.

Duncan, low key and just goes about his business w/out causing a distraction. Kobe = A-Rod of Basketball.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Kobe's the slightly better overall player IMO, but both are great.

As far as prices, Kobe's much higher due to his higher profile and the scarcity of his Chrome RC. It was a retail-only limited release so it's much tougher to find...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Duncan does everything well, thus why's he's be coined "The Big Fundamental". Kobe can score. That's it.

Duncan, low key and just goes about his business w/out causing a distraction. Kobe = A-Rod of Basketball.

Uh, nope.

Besides being the best "Clutch" player since MJ, Kobe was all-NBA Defensive 12 times with 9 times on 1st team. Zen Phil even got in some trouble when suggesting he was better than MJ defensively.

Orangejello727

Jul 7, 2010
While I respect both players, I give it to Kobe. I believe both players are great. They play different positions and drastically different types of game. Determination and excitement wins it for me with kobe. Otherwise both have had extremely successful careers.

Members online