Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Pharis

Who said anything but yourself about removing hits? is it that hard to add it to a box with a autograph already in it as an "extra"? An extra we both know isn't free.

Is there really a need to race to the market for these besides monetary gain?

Because, as with EVERY time "extra" cards are added - people always assume it's taking the place of a possible hit.

Seriously, guys. Like it or not - it got done. If you are surprised that a card company is money-grabbing... I don't know where you've been.
Welcome to the hobby for the last decade.

I bought one. Who cares how it got to my table? I enjoyed Gwynn as a player, and now I have a nice oversized swatch in a decently-designed card.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Because, as with EVERY time "extra" cards are added - people always assume it's taking the place of a possible hit.

What is gods name are you blabbing about. Here I will explain more simply.

You are supposed to get x amount of hits per box. Now some boxes you get x +1 (this card). Nothing is replaced and actually you are getting more.

A_Pharis

What is gods name are you blabbing about. Here I will explain more simply.

You are supposed to get x amount of hits per box. Now some boxes you get x +1 (this card). Nothing is replaced and actually you are getting more.

And I'll explain something in a simpler way:
Without knowing the format of the boxes, it's easier to assume an all-auto hit product. With these cards being produced saying "Authentic Autographs", it would have been a sh*t-storm in any format. Add in that people bitch about - literally - ANYTHING (this thread is kind of an example), there was no winning for releasing these cards in any particular format.

If you are blaming a BUSINESS for making the move that nets them the best return on this particular card (without having the reprint and reassemble), then you're a fool. BG isn't making cards to warm your heart. He's making them to make money.

These are nice cards. The timing is tacky. There's nothing technically "wrong" about releasing them in this format. Stop being such a combative smartass.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
And I'll explain something in a simpler way:
Without knowing the format of the boxes, it's easier to assume an all-auto hit product. With these cards being produced saying "Authentic Autographs", it would have been a sh*t-storm in any format. Add in that people bitch about - literally - ANYTHING (this thread is kind of an example), there was no winning for releasing these cards in any particular format.

If you are blaming a BUSINESS for making the move that nets them the best return on this particular card (without having the reprint and reassemble), then you're a fool. BG isn't making cards to warm your heart. He's making them to make money.

These are nice cards. The timing is tacky. There's nothing technically "wrong" about releasing them in this format. Stop being such a combative smartass.

You really didn't explain but you sure made some excuses. Adding several cards to the production without taking anything out is much more simple and no one has anything to complain about.

Last edited:

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
Let me paint a possible picture for you:

Leaf signs Gwynn to a 2-year deal. They wish to include him in Leaf Q (a sick upcoming product that remind many of exquisite, ok-shameless plug). The term of his contract expires September 1. Once he signs cards for this release, his deal will extend two more years.

Unfortunately, he passes away and is not only unable to sign cards but cannot renew his agreement.Therefore, Leaf has to release and sell cards by September 1st.

To me, this old be a solid reason to release in the format Leaf did.
BG

A_Pharis

Something tells me renewing his contract through those who would own his rights probably wouldn't have been the same price, either, if you could get the rights to release them after Sept 1.

I like it. I think you made the right choice.

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Let's see some pictures with it in hand gents!

gwynn_003_zps666cb3cc.jpg

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
Topps also may have used fake game used jerseys while trying to save cash. Should leaf also copy that bad habit?

This topic is about leaf and the bad timing (goof for them $$) of these cards not sure what topps or the vault has to do with this.

Thats why you could add these as a "bonus" (tastefully) and add value to the product.

Leaf and upper deck already have used fake jerseys in their fb products in recent years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Leaf has said all along that the items were not game used. Why are we crushing leaf? There products bring value and sell well on the secondary market.

Because people hate others who make more money than they do.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mcgoo2

May 30, 2013
Nice looking card but, it's a little morbid that Leaf stamped his birth and death year on there.

Members online