Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WaxPax

I know the "L" word always stirs up controversy, but I'm not sure what to make of this release. Nice tribute to the best hitter of my generation who passed recently or morbid opportunity to cash in on his passing. If these were inserts in an upcoming release I'd say "Nice tribute", but being sold directly by Leaf has me feeling less than warm and fuzzy. I understand card company's are in business to make money, like any other business venture, but I'm always turned off by cashing in on someone's death. Seems like a rush to cash in opportunity, especially since it is only just a week ago he passed away.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]This special offering will serve as a "sneak peak" to 2014 Leaf Q (a premium set offered by Leaf later this year). Unfortunately due to his passing, these rare cards were unable to be signed for the product. Therefore, we specially stamped these cards with the years of his life 1960-2014. These cards will be available on eBay while supplies last. Shipping is a flat $2.99. Paypal payment only... USA shipping only....[/SIZE][/FONT]

s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
2014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN JERSEY CARD (PREMIUM SWATCH) 142014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN PATCH CARD 4/52014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN PATCH CARD 1/1
bin_15x54.gif
$29.99
Shipping:$2.99
End time:Jul-26-14 10:24:06 PDT
bin_15x54.gif
$149.99
End time:Jul-26-14 14:24:08 PDT
bin_15x54.gif
$299.99
End time:Jul-26-14 14:26:05 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
2014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN PATCH CARD 5/52014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN PATCH CARD 1/252014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN PATCH CARD 10/25
bin_15x54.gif
$199.99
End time:Jul-26-14 14:24:08 PDT
bin_15x54.gif
$39.99
End time:Jul-26-14 10:51:08 PDT
bin_15x54.gif
$39.99
End time:Jul-26-14 14:12:07 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
2014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN PATCH CARD 18/252014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN JERSEY CARD (PREMIUM SWATCH) 382014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN JERSEY CARD (PREMIUM SWATCH) 2
bin_15x54.gif
$99.99
End time:Jul-26-14 14:21:13 PDT
bin_15x54.gif
$29.99
End time:Jul-26-14 10:42:09 PDT
bin_15x54.gif
$29.99
End time:Jul-26-14 09:52:06 PDT
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
2014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN JERSEY CARD (PREMIUM SWATCH) 112014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN PATCH CARD 3/52014 LEAF Q PREVIEW TONY GWYNN PATCH CARD 16/25
bin_15x54.gif
$29.99
End time:Jul-26-14 10:16:05 PDT
bin_15x54.gif
$149.99
End time:Jul-26-14 14:25:08 PDT
bin_15x54.gif
$39.99
End time:Jul-26-14 14:20:09 PDT
See all results...

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
These dont bother me in the least. I do wonder why they put Authentic Signature on them though under the swatch window.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
These dont bother me in the least. I do wonder why they put Authentic Signature on them though under the swatch window.

It says in the description they were made for a release later in the year but due to Gwynn's untimely passing will not be able to be signed...

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Seems like a huge cash grab to me. There was nothing keeping these cards from being stamped and inserted into the product as planned. Without knowing what Leaf Q is, it certainly wouldn't be a set all about Tony Gwynn, so it stands to reason that there would be other signed/GU content in that set. Leaf has shown in the past the ability to make last minute changes to a release, so why do this now, so far in advance? I'm sure if Topps cleaned out the Vault of all their Gwynn pieces and threw them on ebay right after he died, I'm sure there'd be an uproar about cashing in on his death.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
They made a set for Ron Santo after his passing and sold them direct didnt they? Maybe leaf should start making funeral cards for funeral homes also. I kid I kid.

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
It's two things: a immediate cash grab and a excellent advertising tool for the upcoming release.

I have no problem with either as they made these cards with Tony's permission before his passing.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It's obviously a cash grab. You'd think [MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION] would do a tribute release for Gwynn, simillar to the Pete Rose type release, etc. That would of been classy.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Many of the $29 jumbo patches look phenomenal considering the asking price!

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm back at a desktop and looking at this a little more clearly... I think this is 100% a shame. It's 10% a money grab and it's too bad really. Why couldn't they still insert in packs without the auto and with the stamp?! That makes 0 sense.

Also, don't you think Topps could make TONS more $ if they just sold their cards themselves rather then in packs or boxes? I mean seriously... the cost of a Jeter 1/1 knob card is nothing compared to what that damn card sells for alone, plus all the cards they can make with the inners of the bat, etc.

I think this is terrible to see for the hobby and I'd be upset and pissed if I were a Gwynn collector. That jersey they cut up was worth a fraction of what the combined sales of this all would be, right?

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I'm back at a desktop and looking at this a little more clearly... I think this is 100% a shame. It's 10% a money grab and it's too bad really. Why couldn't they still insert in packs without the auto and with the stamp?! That makes 0 sense.

Also, don't you think Topps could make TONS more $ if they just sold their cards themselves rather then in packs or boxes? I mean seriously... the cost of a Jeter 1/1 knob card is nothing compared to what that damn card sells for alone, plus all the cards they can make with the inners of the bat, etc.

I think this is terrible to see for the hobby and I'd be upset and pissed if I were a Gwynn collector. That jersey they cut up was worth a fraction of what the combined sales of this all would be, right?

My guess is there is some danger in inserting cards that say "autographed" when they aren't. It only takes one person to get pissed about that. Selling these this way at least gets cards that had been created (with GU material) in to collectors hands who are informed about the cards not being signed.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
My guess is there is some danger in inserting cards that say "autographed" when they aren't. It only takes one person to get pissed about that. Selling these this way at least gets cards that had been created (with GU material) in to collectors hands who are informed about the cards not being signed.
I can see that but this is just tacky if you ask me. Especially with the BIN or BO structure. If it's really something where they think they have their hands tied and just need to get the product out to the market and want to do it in a fair and honest way, then set them all up as $0.99 auctions and let them ride! For them to individually judge each and every card for it's individual value like a rip/flip buyer is just stupid. Some of the identical cards with different patches vary by $10 in BIN price? I mean they're not a customer trying to max out their product... they're a manufacturer of the cards.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
For the record, I don't want any of these cards and don't collect Gywnn... I just think it's a money grab and pretty low for them to do this IMO. Anyways, sorry to clutter the thread with my rants... just think it's so stupid.

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I get what you're saying. Maybe the correct thing to do was destroy these after carefully removing the game used material.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
The day after Gwynn passed away, I got an email from Topps about how they were "saluting" Gwynn by including him in their latest online exclusive Wall Art set.

If I, as a baseball fan, wanted to "honor" Gwynn's memory, I could do so by going to the Topps site and handing over $34.99 plus shipping and handling.

In my opinion, what Leaf is doing is no different.

Apr 23, 2012
New Orleans
This is tacky. They should be inserted in the product. The only reason to sell them separately is to have them hit the market now while publicity is high.

You can say, "it's a business" but even businesses are supposed to have ethics. Topps did it too and it's very common now when someone dies. But it's still tacky, a turn-off, and bad karma.

Sell some items at the height of publicity and donate the money to his foundation -- you can capitalize on the increased attention to raise money for a good cause rather than personal gain.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I feel like they would have done best all around by releasing/selling the cards in some way and donating the money from all sales to the Tony and Alicia Gwynn Foundation. Honestly I think that this would put them in the best light, get them additional promotion, and help a good cause in memory of a great player, so a win for everyone. [MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION]

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I feel like they would have done best all around by releasing/selling the cards in some way and donating the money from all sales to the Tony and Alicia Gwynn Foundation. Honestly I think that this would put them in the best light, get them additional promotion, and help a good cause in memory of a great player, so a win for everyone. [MENTION=1948]Leaf[/MENTION]

I really do agree. Perhaps leaf could take the production costs out from the proceedings and donate the rest to Gwynn's charity. Anything less than that is going to look like a cash grab even if the cards were already made.

A_Pharis

I want to preface my response by saying I just purchased one. A jumbo multi-color patch of a baseball idol for $30 is good for me.

That said - I do find it a little off-putting for a company to ditch plans to throw something like this out there as if it's an "Oh sh*t" moment of needing to dump product. It would have been really well-received had it been properly announced and released as it was intended. Maybe even throw in a cut or two with the release?

Better, yet. Had it been an unplanned homage set that was released a few months from now that started with his passing - no one would have batted an eye. I think he saw it as an opportunity to make sure the Gwynns got more attention.

That said - I wonder what the player lineup looks like for Q.

Members online

Latest posts