Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Coolest or most Memorable Home Runs You've Witnessed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
I am stealing this question from the Net54 boards as I thought it was an interesting question. What are the top 5 coolest, dramatic or memorable home runs you've witnessed in person? List YOUR 5 you saw live. If you have a video or newspaper link...go ahead and post that as well.

Here are mine: I think....

1. Ryne Sandberg game Cubs vs. Cardinals June 23, 1984 Wrigley Field
2, Ryne Sandberg game Cubs vs. Cardinals June 23, 1984 Wrigley Field
3. Doug Frobel Pirates Vs. Cubs Wrigley Field.
I have to say that I have seen some moon shots but after seeing over 1000 games in person at Wrigley Field, this was the most impressive shot I have seen in the old ball yard. It actually sailed right over my head. 4. Greg Luzinski August 29, 1983 White Sox vs. Red Sox, Comiskey Park
5. Chicago Cubs playoff game number 1, October 2, 1984. There were five home runs in this game and we all just knew that the Cubs would be making their first World Series appearance in 39 years. Oh well.

Sandberg game link...
http://m.mlb.com/video/v13062881/62384-stlchc-sandberg-homers-twice-vs-sutter

Sports page description of the Frobel home run
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...6gcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1GIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5115,5946533

Sports page description of the Luzinski home run
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...vVSAAAAIBAJ&sjid=EYMDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3224,5483664

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I don't go to many games but here are my three in no order.

Jeter hr to tie Gehrig for most hits at the stadium

Jeter/ Jeffrey Maier hr

Walk off Bernie Williams hr at that same playoff game

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
seeing over 1000 games in person at Wrigley Field

Going to my first game at Wrigley in about 10 days!

Haven't been to an MLB game in a few years, but between Cubs at Padres every year with my grandfather growing up and DBacks games with my dad when he lived in Phoenix I can think of a couple.

In 1998, I was at the game where Sammy Sosa hit a Grand Slam, his 63rd HR of the year.

In 2001, I went to a DBacks game with my dad on Father's Day where Tony Womack hit a Grand Slam, about 2 months after he lost his father.
Womack video link:
http://youtu.be/XuxT1kcJ8Hw

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
I only have two I really remember but
Beltre's 3 HR regular season game in Arlington
Nelson Cruz hit a moon shot in Houston that was just as far as the well known Pujols HR there
One more wasn't in person but I was streaming the playoff game on my laptop in class when Beltre hit 3 HRs against the Rays. It was only a 15 person class and I had to try and explain my excitement when I celebrated the third one haha

cartersprings

Aug 7, 2008
MN
The biggest I can remember is the day Jim Thome hit 2 HR's, tying then passing Killebrew on the all-time HR list.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
4/28/02 - I went to a Reds/Giants game in Cincy hoping to see Barry Bonds hit a home run. He did not but Adam Dunn hit 2 home runs (his first career multi-home run game).

Honorable mention: Thome hitting a walk-off grand slam against the Tigers.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
Thome's 500th HR in Sept 2007 (with the White Sox) as a walkoff winner against the Angels.....on Jim Thome bobblehead day (which had been on the promotion schedule since March). Unbelievable moment.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
My daughter hit a game winner to clinch district Playoff win. She's known for being a pitcher, she doesn't hit a lot of homers!!

tribefan26

Jul 7, 2010
Thome against Seattle in the 1995 play-offs - Game 5 - ALCS - 2 run HR put them up 3-2 bottom of the 6th.

Sandy Alomar Jr. in the 1997 ALDS - bottom 8th solo shot off Mo to tie it - Indians won in the 9th and won game 5 to take series

Brandon Belt - 9/4/12 - puts one in McCovey Cove - I've lived here 3 seasons - the only splash hit I've seen in person.

No other game HRs come to mind - but Griffey vs. Thome in the 98 HR Derby at Coors field was a greta HR show.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
I've been real, real lucky.........

1. Victorino slam in clinching game against Tigers in ALCS in 2013.
1a. Ortiz walk-off against Angels to clinch ALDS in 2004

Both crazy!!!!!

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
I got to see ken griffey jr first and last homerun as a Red... I heard everything Jr screamed up to the media box too as he stomped on home plate. My least favorite memory as a Griffey fan.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think that I may have been in attendance for Dave Kingman's 400th HR. It happened Aug 10, 1985 in Seattle, so that matches up so far as very much possible. I'll have to check to see if I have the stub to be positive.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/ballplayers/player.php?name=Dave_Kingman_1948&page=chronology

My favorite was Garvey's HR in the NLCS off Lee Smith. Of course, being a big Garv fan, to see that HR was amazing. It was on TV though, not in person.

I can't think of any others. I watched most of the 81 WS on tv, so there were probably a couple then as well that were exciting to me.

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
During a trip to Old Yankee Stadium with my buddy. Reds and Yankees. Batting practice The Kid put 3 or 4 into the upper deck in right field. During the game Encarnacion hit one about 3/4 up the foul pole. We were left field by monument park, so we could see the arc of the bomb. Another during BP, some guy is yelling at players on the field to throw him a ball. Not paying attention to the batters who are peppering the bleachers with homers. Arod stepped up and hit one right at the guy. Still not paying attention and it drilled him above his right eye. Blood poured from the cut and security came very quickly and whisked him away. Never saw him again so no idea what happened. He didn't even get the ball.

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA
I haven't been to many MLB games due to cost, but I did get to see Jeter's 1st grand slam during an interleague game vs the Cubs. The place went nuts. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
I don't go to many games but here are my three in no order.

Jeter hr to tie Gehrig for most hits at the stadium

Jeter/ Jeffrey Maier hr

Walk off Bernie Williams hr at that same playoff game

lol I remember that game, most forgot Bernie hitting a walk off in the 11h ininnig.

Bogeysave82

Jan 16, 2013
Tell me more, tell me more.......

The last one was weird I knew it wasn't his typical homerun trot as he rounded third-base he started staring up at the media boxes. He slowed down and walking towards home plate as he passed the plate he stomped on it turn slightly looked up at the media box again and started screaming he said a few choice words that I don't think I can repeat on here directed towards Jeff Brantley one of the reds radio broadcasters. Great American ballpark went silent he was pulled into the dugout. A few days later he was traded to the Chicago White Sox. It was a pretty bad situation up in Cincy the Reds as a team shut out the media from the locker room. Brantley was very critical of Griffey. Saying that he was a drain on the team and he should have retired the season before. Junior didn't appreciate that and it boiled over on the field.

Members online