Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this a case hit? 2014 Bowman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
I bought a:
[h=1]2014 BOWMAN BASEBALL CASE HIT! #d Auto/Lucky Redemption HOT PACK BRYANT?ABREU?[/h]
on eBay for $23. It would've been cheaper but the dude shill bidded me and then made 2nd chance offer. I should've declined it as a matter of principle, but I'm due up for a big hit and thought maybe this would be it.

Anyway, I got an Alex Reyes blue auto /500. Is that really a case hit in 2014 Bowman? Or did I get hosed?

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Nope, it's not chrome. Even if it was, it still wouldn't be a case hit I wouldn't think.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Nope, it's not chrome. Even if it was, it still wouldn't be a case hit I wouldn't think.

Nope. That's a retail auto, found only in packs at Target/Walmart, etc. About as far from a "case hit" as possible.

Very rarely, if ever, are the guaranteed/hot packs legit, let alone nearly worth what they go for on Ebay

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Nope. That's a retail auto, found only in packs at Target/Walmart, etc. About as far from a "case hit" as possible.

Very rarely, if ever, are the guaranteed/hot packs legit, let alone nearly worth what they go for on Ebay

I normally don't go for the hotpacks, but the "CASE" part lured me. On top of that, the dude has a ton of positive feedback with rarely a complaint. He's selling another right now and it's up to $31.

I'm going to contact him and see if he will work with me on returning this. I'm just wondering, though. He doesn't say retail vs hobby case hit....he just says case hit. Do they even make "retail cases"? I mean, I know that Target/Walmart get a number of boxes per larger brown box which could hypothetically be called a "case", but does Topps insert big hits to those retail boxes in a case to case ratio like they do with hobby? And if so, then does this crappy blue /500 auto qualify as a retail case hit?

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Hobby case hit? Hell no. Retail case hit, doubtful. But I do know the odds can be super long for retail so it very well could be. I've pulled some stuff out of retail that I'm sure would equate to a case hit due to the odds.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Hobby case hit? Hell no. Retail case hit, doubtful. But I do know the odds can be super long for retail so it very well could be. I've pulled some stuff out of retail that I'm sure would equate to a case hit due to the odds.

I messaged him...I guess we'll see what he has to say.

Btw, do you need this?

2002 Fleer Maximum America's Game Jersey #1 Bagwell_Jeff A.jpg 2002 Fleer Maximum America's Game Jersey #1 Bagwell_Jeff B.jpg

I went to Cooperstown last year and picked up some stuff from the local shops that I thought a few of you guys might need. I've just been busy and forgot all about these. Anyway, this was the only Bagpipes I could find.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Hot packs like these suck about 80% of the time. 20% of the time you can get real nice stuff. Certain sellers do just list the auto packs because they know where the autos are and don't look through them.

The problem that you had was that you bid on a retail pack. Always make sure they are hobby hot packs.

petMonster

Jan 20, 2012
Exactly. Purchasing hot packs is condoning pack searching. How else do they know there's something good in them unless they opened and resealed it.

I'm curious how someone could do this without it being fairly obvious. I inspected this particular pack extremely well and I don't see how he could've resealed it. It looked totally kosher to me. Maybe he didn't, but other people who do, I would assume it would be pretty obvious.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
Shiller, resealer and lies. Sounds like a real stand up individual. I would have told him to eat **** and die in a fire. God I hate the riff raff that comes along with this hobby.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Exactly. Purchasing hot packs is condoning pack searching. How else do they know there's something good in them unless they opened and resealed it.
Not true. They are only opened and resealed 50-60% of the time(thats an estimation). Many people can find the autos in certain packs(certain locations in the box), can weigh the packs, etc.

Or they open their box and don't find the auto and know its in the last pack and figure they could probably get more selling it sealed.

I'm not condoning this, but many people pull nice stuff out of hot packs from the bay. However, most of the time I'd stay away.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
Sounds like a bad play on your part to gamble on this type of listing/item.

These kind of sales only continue to perpetuate the pack searching mentality and damage a ton of product in the process. If people just didn't buy this stuff it would go a long way to help the hobby.

And yes, it is a case hit. It's an #d auto... A possibility he mentions right in the title. If you open a pack from a box and got an auto, you'd call it a hit. Blasters come in 16 box cases and retail boxes come in 8 box cases. So it's a hit and it came from a case.

Learn from the interaction, eat it, and move on. Or waste your time pursing a refund of an amount of money that I certainly would consider to be no where near worth the time it will take me to try and get back.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I've never found an honest hot pack seller since I got back into the hobby in 2008. Such a thing doesn't exist, because if a high-value card was really in those packs, the seller would have opened the pack and sold that card for what it was. My girlfriend figured that out what I explained the concept of a "hot pack" to her, and she knows next to nothing about cards! I'd wager that anyone who gets a good pull out of a hot pack, got it because the seller wanted a good hit pulled to increase their credibility.

Somewhere around here, there's the story of a 2006 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor hot pack from ebay, the hit turned out to be a card that someone here sold to the hot pack seller (I think it was a Bill Hall).

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Years ago, someone on eBay sold a superfractor "hot pack"

The buyer left who he got in the feedback and "coincidentally", the seller happened to buy that same 1/1 card weeks earlier.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts