Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chatter on twitter suggests that Topps has lost it's NFL license.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Oh man I really hope not! And I'm being honest, I really like their football lines.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
Heard like a month ago that Panini will be NFL exclusive in 2016...

Sent from my XT1060 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

NY Tony

Mar 29, 2013
How card company like Topps loses their license?

What do they pay people in Manhattan for?
Solely Card designs?

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
That would suck. Imagine Topps Chome unlicensed with college jerseys.... Not liking the thought of that. TC Football is one of my favorite Topps releases across all sports.

ronfromfresno

Aug 7, 2008
Fresno, CA
If this is true it's a bit ironic and a bit fantastic to me. Topps fought hard to exclude all others from producing baseball cards and now they are being locked out of producing football cards.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
How card company like Topps loses their license?

good question. They can throw lots of money to keep the license (see MLB).

will be an interesting thing for me if Topps loses FB because I only really collect in football is
Topps factory sets every year, any Topps or other manuf football cards that are cert autos of local
college players who get drafted or FA signed, and any football cards that get tossed in as freebies
when I buy wax online.

If Panini (for instance) gets the license, they likely won't be releasing factory sets so I may have to
buy a H/C set if I decide to continue my string of flagship basic football card sets.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That would be a sad day if true.
I have fond memories as a kid building the horizontal black '85 and green striped '86 Topps football sets.
Damn I hate exclusive licenses.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Agreed, bad move by NFL if true. TC is consistently good and base product would be VERY missed IMO. Plus, although they got better on the low end stuff early last year, not a big fan of Panini football stuff.

Is there any Update either way yet?

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
What's causing the shift , anyone know ? I'm sure it's not just a $ thing as Topps can go all in also

Ryan

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
What's causing the shift , anyone know ? I'm sure it's not just a $ thing as Topps can go all in also

My speculation is Panini (if that is the company that will get the NFL license) probably is throwing more money at the NFL than Topps is.

As topps has proven with MLB exclusivity, it's certainly not what I think a sports league should do. I think sports leagues should evaluate bidding manufacturers by making their decision that heavily considers each manufacturers' tradition, brands, card evolution and innovation rather than just going for the pure money grab. I hope we see eventually in the trading card industry when sports leagues go for money greed rather than the overall picture, a manufacturer is so laden in debt getting that exclusive license that they lose the sports league license and go out of business.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts