Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The lack of a Ray Rice thread speaks volumes about FCB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I know the Football Forum has never gotten much traffic on FCB, but it's really sad that no one has started a thread about Ray Rice only getting a two-game suspension for knocking out his fiancé.

I'm not sure if it's quite as bad as cgilmore starting the "Topps is losing its football license" thread under the Baseball Forum, but it's pretty bad.

FCB is ALWAYS the first site I go to every evening, after checking my email. Basically, it's where I cut my teeth. I have participated in a lot of cool stuff on here, and I hope to continue to do so. But now, like so many others, I'll go check that other site to see what people are saying over there.

By the way, I think the fact that Rice only got two games is a joke. Over the years, it seems like the unofficial NFL suspension custom has become:
1. Player gets suspended.
2. Player appeals suspension.
3. Suspension gets reduced.

I think everyone would be shocked if Rice appealed the suspension. The fact that he will probably accept the suspension tells you that the suspension wasn't nearly harsh enough.

The dark part of me hopes he does appeal it, just to see what happens.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It def was surprising that is wasn't at least 4 games , and I would have been ok with anything above that also. It really is crazy the way suspensions are dealt with no real rhyme or reason or time line. But our justice system is just the same where a murder charge could get you 12 years , 25 year , life , death etc. Anyway , I don't support his actions and would find it tough for anyone to back him , though she went ahead and married him so wtf

Ryan

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Was there ever a video of him hitting her? I thought all that could be proven was him dragging her out of the elevator. I've dragged someone out of an elevator before because they passed out on the floor. If this is all they had I don't see grounds for any more of a suspension. But I haven't kept up with the story this is just what I heard initially.

The NFL suspends people longer for marijuana than DUIs. Ray Lewis was never suspended for his felony conviction as far as I remember. Stallworth killed a pedestrian and didn't even get suspended for an entire season. Blackmon and Gordon like pot and as a result it is possible neither play next season. NFL justice.

Rant done

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Was there ever a video of him hitting her? I thought all that could be proven was him dragging her out of the elevator. I've dragged someone out of an elevator before because they passed out on the floor. If this is all they had I don't see grounds for any more of a suspension. But I haven't kept up with the story this is just what I heard initially.

The NFL suspends people longer for marijuana than DUIs. Ray Lewis was never suspended for his felony conviction as far as I remember. Stallworth killed a pedestrian and didn't even get suspended for an entire season. Blackmon and Gordon like pot and as a result it is possible neither play next season. NFL justice.

Rant done

So now we need video evidence to convict someone of something? Man wouldn't that be interesting.

I don't know all the facts but it's pretty clear he was involved at some level in her being basically knocked out when the elevator doors opened.

Also, have you even seen how big Rice is? He could of just picked her up and carried her if she was sick or tired or something... She was knocked the F out. By him I'm assuming. He just didn't know what to do IMO.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Not knowing how the assault went down, I feel a suspension of some kind was most likely justified (because he was formally charged by police) but have no opinion on how long he should be suspended. I think it's misguided for the talking heads to criticize Roger Goodell for not suspending Rice for more than 2 games. What he should be criticized for is not being transparent with the investigation, the meeting with Mr. and Mrs. Rice and why it was not 2 games, 4 games or the season.

All In Cards

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
No one knows what really happened and we will never know.

That being said. One drunk trying to carry another drunk is never pretty. You could tell he was out of it also when he was dragging her out of the elevator.

Even being a raven fan I haven't paid attention to this whole thing.

2 4 6 games. People would still say it should be a longer suspension.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
From what I heard on ESPN, she was attacking him in the elevator (no idea why), he pushed her off, she fell and hit her head on the bar and got knocked out. If that is true or not I don't know, what I do wonder is why we are so quick to judge without knowing all the facts. His wife went with him to speak to Goodell and laid out what happened, all these factors counted in with his suspension, including the fact he has never had a prior for abuse. Things happen, people make mistakes, why is two games not enough?

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
From what I heard on ESPN, she was attacking him in the elevator (no idea why), he pushed her off, she fell and hit her head on the bar and got knocked out. If that is true or not I don't know, what I do wonder is why we are so quick to judge without knowing all the facts. His wife went with him to speak to Goodell and laid out what happened, all these factors counted in with his suspension, including the fact he has never had a prior for abuse. Things happen, people make mistakes, why is two games not enough?

Exactly. I expect calmer heads to prevail when they have all the facts. The talk show hosts need to step off their pulpits and stop covering their asses.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
So now we need video evidence to convict someone of something? Man wouldn't that be interesting.

I don't know all the facts but it's pretty clear he was involved at some level in her being basically knocked out when the elevator doors opened.

Also, have you even seen how big Rice is? He could of just picked her up and carried her if she was sick or tired or something... She was knocked the F out. By him I'm assuming. He just didn't know what to do IMO.

When you're drunk you don't think clearly. He could have easily carried her yes. Have you never known someone who passes out drunk? I have had to do the same thing with my friend as Ray Rice. Not saying he didn't do anything, just that everyone is jumping to conclusions. If he really knocked her out, there would have been a Rihanna face picture in the news from him hitting her. Since that never appeared, I find it very hard to believe he knocked her out blatantly. The accident and hitting her head on the bar sounds reasonable to me.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Rice's suspension is too light IMO.

But the fact that it is only 2 games is probably due to the fact that some of Goodell's recent suspensions have been reduced and the League Office is treading lightly about how far to push things in the Behavior category. People think Goodell was turning into a Dictator and wanted to reduce his "Power". Personally, I disagree but it has led to lighter penalties IMO.

Personally, I think Hardy, Blackmon and Irsay Jr. should have the book thrown at them but I see Goodell's "power" being reduced in this Area and we'll see shorter Suspensions because of it.

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
If his fiance played in the WNBA, should she get suspended?

Would anyone know if she as suspended? Wouldn't that require people to show up for WNBA games?

It's such an obviously Ray Rice is a ******* and beating women is wrong issue that it didn't need a thread. Besides, he plays for the Ravens. That's not the worst thing a Ravens player has ever done...:-D

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Would anyone know if she as suspended? Wouldn't that require people to show up for WNBA games?

It's such an obviously Ray Rice is a ******* and beating women is wrong issue that it didn't need a thread. Besides, he plays for the Ravens. That's not the worst thing a Ravens player has ever done...:-D

I was brought up to believe that a man should never hit a woman. There was a social contract where men protected women and in return, well I guess women were expected to be feminine.

Enter feminism where equality is demanded and formerly male acts of opening doors, etc, are sometimes met by vile hatred from women. If women really want to be equal, then they should expect physical responses to their own physical aggression.

I think this situation is much different than the Knoblauch situation where he was the abusive aggressor. In the case of Ray Rice, I think he was responding to physical aggression. If so, he is perfectly in his right to defend himself, regardless of the size of the attacker or the gender of the attacker. Feminists can't have it both ways and expect equal treatment only when it is advantageous for them (though that is the how the system works most of the time).

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I was brought up to believe that a man should never hit a woman. There was a social contract where men protected women and in return, well I guess women were expected to be feminine.

Enter feminism where equality is demanded and formerly male acts of opening doors, etc, are sometimes met by vile hatred from women. If women really want to be equal, then they should expect physical responses to their own physical aggression.

I think this situation is much different than the Knoblauch situation where he was the abusive aggressor. In the case of Ray Rice, I think he was responding to physical aggression. If so, he is perfectly in his right to defend himself, regardless of the size of the attacker or the gender of the attacker. Feminists can't have it both ways and expect equal treatment only when it is advantageous for them (though that is the how the system works most of the time).

I simultaneously agree with your last point, but completely reject how you got to it.

Yes, there are plenty of instances where men need to physically access their superiority over women to protect themselves (Exhibit A- Chuck Finley vs. Tawny Kitaen). But to suggest that women wanting similar pay in the workplace or similar work, means they should take any punch that is thrown and expect it, is misogynistic.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I simultaneously agree with your last point, but completely reject how you got to it.

Yes, there are plenty of instances where men need to physically access their superiority over women to protect themselves (Exhibit A- Chuck Finley vs. Tawny Kitaen). But to suggest that women wanting similar pay in the workplace or similar work, means they should take any punch that is thrown and expect it, is misogynistic.

It's simple. If a man attacks another man, most men will defend themselves. And if men and women are equal in all ways as feminists claim, then an attacking woman should be treated the same way as an attacking man. It doesn't mean you hate women, it just shows that you are respecting them by treating them equally.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Most of the heavy hitters that once made the football boards seconfd to baseball all have gone over to other sites and even on to facebook. So can't blame it on FCB at all.

And for no thread being started is I seen it and did not start one because I thought it would just get looked at and no one would comment on it anyway. Again for the reason I stated earlier

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
It's simple. If a man attacks another man, most men will defend themselves. And if men and women are equal in all ways as feminists claim, then an attacking woman should be treated the same way as an attacking man. It doesn't mean you hate women, it just shows that you are respecting them by treating them equally.

You are not even interested in the feminist point-of-view, so it follows that you have the most misogynistic take on it.

The feminist movement wasn't about removing gender from the equation; it was about treating them the same when reason dictates. Pay, hiring/firing, sexual harrassment, not punishing women for childbirth, giving equal support to women's issues, or in most cases, addressing them at all. It was about actually forcing society to admit they treated women differently to the detriment of women (and plenty would argue, to society itself).

It wasn't about treating every single instance the same, irrespective of gender. There are plenty of issues that you cannot ignore the gender difference; taking a punch is one of them.

Members online

Latest posts