Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 Topps Gallery Peter Max Signature Serigraphs - Facts, Fakes and Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yeah , if that was pack pulled it shows the way the Autos were messed up. IMO there shouldn't be anything non serial numbered on the market and def not ones that came from packs. 1/40-40/40 should have all been inserted into packs and if there was any kept for replacements that were never used at least we would know what they were

Ryan
I couldn't agree more with this. It's so frustrating that this set has nothing on it in print to show what it is and that it could be so easily faked or even IP autoed but still not the real card. Same with the replacements... I don't get it.

byronscott4ever

Dec 3, 2009
Ya? What did you do with them?

In a box somewhere, think I have Steve Young and Piazza as they were cheapest singles I could find. I had a picture with him that was on a roll of ruined film (only got that because I held a work of someone's for him to sign the back)

Kosta123

May 12, 2015
image.jpgimage.jpg I'm not a collector I just came across some really cool cards dirt cheap. I'm unsure of my signed derek Jeters and all cards. Really if anyone knows what this card sells for would be great!

Jhileman79

Nov 28, 2014
Jeter sells for over $500, Griffey Jr sells for $350+ and Frank Thomas sells for $200+. So I would assume $175-$250 for your Bonds depending on the buyer.

Kosta123

May 12, 2015
Throw me an offer i don't know it's value.. Guys saying $175-250? But idk I tried to look this card up bit can't find another like it with numbers and auto.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Not that it matters a whole lot at this point for a truly accurate price comparison, but I did sell the whole set, individually in 2013. I sold the Bonds for $259.95 via Best Offer on ebay.

athletics07

Nov 10, 2013
Quick question, for an auto under the gloss vs. not - is there anything identifiable by touch? I picked up a Cammy and I would say it's under the gloss based on sheen but without having a comparable was curious if there's another way to verify. Thanks!

tidel144

Jan 30, 2014
Quick question, for an auto under the gloss vs. not - is there anything identifiable by touch? I picked up a Cammy and I would say it's under the gloss based on sheen but without having a comparable was curious if there's another way to verify. Thanks!

When I first got one in-hand (one that was sold to me as autographed under the UV coating), I wasn't able to find any evidence of the autograph being over the gloss via touch. I thought that if the autograph was above the gloss, the marker trail would be embossed in some way on the card's surface; when I did not feel any "embossing", this - along with some examination with lighting/tilting of the card - lead me to believe that it was signed before the UV coating.

However, I've never examined one that has been autographed after the UV coating, so technically can't fully answer your question.

All Topps had to do was stamp the original autographs as "certified" and there would be no headache!

tenballer

Aug 9, 2014
Card in middle & on right have the loop in the M. The left card does not. All 3 look to be under the coating, but hard to tell in the cases. Anybody know if there is a difference in the autos due to age of auto? Could the left one more recent than the other 2?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0717161947.jpg
    0717161947.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 111

Joey_peapod

Jan 27, 2014
I recently picked these up, had someone telling me they are fake do to the auto being thicker. The Auto is definitely under the gloss as far as I can tell. The middle chipper has the same type of loop on the M

tenballer

Aug 9, 2014
I recently picked these up, had someone telling me they are fake do to the auto being thicker. The Auto is definitely under the gloss as far as I can tell. The middle chipper has the same type of loop on the M

I've owned a few different players, including a jeter, that I wish I had back. The only thing that looks off to me is the numbering on the Piazza. All the numbering I've seen is smaller and somewhat hard to read. I am not an expert though so take it for what it's worth. Can PSAauthenticate these

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sorry for bumping a thread from 2014 but didn't think it was worth starting a new thread but...

For Albert Belle specifically, I have seen a wave of these come up for sale and then sell for WAY less than they are probably worth but the real thing catching my eye and making me post is now nearly every one is slabbed and NOT serial numbered...

As discussed in the past, the slabbing of these is not to authenticate the autograph but to slab the card, etc. I will go out on a ledge here and say this is one of the lowest hanging fruit fake auto's out there for the lowlifes that want to do it but you write "max" on the card, send and get the card slabbed and away you go... no way to tell if the auto is above or below the glossy as discussed for being authentic... not to mention the guy has about the easiest auto to write (eye roll)

Here are THREE RECENT Albert Belle sales... all three are slabbed and are NOT serial numbered... I know there are some legit versions which are not numbered (for various reasons) but are you telling me there are this many non-serial numbered Albert Belle versions to have three sold in the last month or so?!?!?

I will stop my rant but I think there is a trend here and not much we can do about it I guess...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Topps...879947?hash=item59052c51cb:g:BNIAAOSwFLBaVT0v

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Topps...900427?hash=item52011b8a8b:g:jgYAAOSw0exaBM4y

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Albert-Bel...357973?hash=item48a7a696d5:g:6wgAAOSww-BaZMa8

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Sorry for bumping a thread from 2014 but didn't think it was worth starting a new thread but...

For Albert Belle specifically, I have seen a wave of these come up for sale and then sell for WAY less than they are probably worth but the real thing catching my eye and making me post is now nearly every one is slabbed and NOT serial numbered...

As discussed in the past, the slabbing of these is not to authenticate the autograph but to slab the card, etc. I will go out on a ledge here and say this is one of the lowest hanging fruit fake auto's out there for the lowlifes that want to do it but you write "max" on the card, send and get the card slabbed and away you go... no way to tell if the auto is above or below the glossy as discussed for being authentic... not to mention the guy has about the easiest auto to write (eye roll)

Here are THREE RECENT Albert Belle sales... all three are slabbed and are NOT serial numbered... I know there are some legit versions which are not numbered (for various reasons) but are you telling me there are this many non-serial numbered Albert Belle versions to have three sold in the last month or so?!?!?

I will stop my rant but I think there is a trend here and not much we can do about it I guess...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Topps...879947?hash=item59052c51cb:g:BNIAAOSwFLBaVT0v

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Topps...900427?hash=item52011b8a8b:g:jgYAAOSw0exaBM4y

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Albert-Bel...357973?hash=item48a7a696d5:g:6wgAAOSww-BaZMa8

Glad to see your still around. Any new Belle pickups?

Members online

Latest posts