User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling a bit down but would love to hear your stories! Don't be shy now!

Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling a bit down but would love to hear your stories! Don't be shy now!

Ten years ago today, at about the same time I am writing this, I received an urgent phone call from the hospital telling me to get there right away as my father was not doing well. We had known dad was going to pass away as he had tired of fighting a losing battle with diabetes that included the loss of his leg and the loss of his mobility. Dad had decided to stop taking his medicine and refuse all treatment and was told that he had about two weeks to live. The day after his decision to stop all efforts I intended to spend the day with him but got sidetracked and was only able to spend an hour or so with him. Before I left that night I told him I loved him and that I would spend all day with him the next day as we had planned to watch some baseball on his hospital room television. Late that night I received the call nobody ever wants to receive and by time I reached his hospital room he was gone. We would bury him a few days later which just happened to be the day my daughter was graduating from Air Force boot camp 1000 miles away in Texas. I sent my wife and son down to Texas for the graduation as my brother and I attended to my fathers funeral.

I am sitting here and reflecting on recently uncovered pictures of my dad in his youth. It got me to thinking that I always saw my dad as my dad and never gave a thought to him being a 15 year old kid as he was depicted in these pictures. There is no doubt that he had hopes, dreams and insecurities just as any other young adult would but I never thought of asking him what he actually dreamed of becoming in his life. As I look back I realize that I never knew my dad like I now find myself wanting to know him. What did he dream of growing up to be in Chicago in the 40's and 50's? Did he want to go to college? Why didn't I know he played football in high school? So many questions but no opportunity to ask any more.

Yep, I am feeling a bit down tonight and felt the only outlet is to write about this. Thank you for indulging me. If you have your parents with you still, ask them questions. Get to know them beyond what you know about them as a parent. Did they have dreams and what happened to keep them from reaching them or perhaps they did reach their goals. What got them there? Don't put it off for another day....talk to them today and ask them about their life. I know they would love the chance to talk about themselves.

This post is a bit on the downer side but it doesn't have to be. List something about your parents (either or both) that you found to be interesting about them from when they were young and being a parent was not even on their radar. Here is mine.

My dad went to Lane Tech high school in Chicago which was a few long foul balls away from Wrigley Field. Although he would never graduate but would go on to earn his GED in the Navy while serving in the Korean war, he played baseball for the high school team. Phil Cavaretta, an all star first baseman for the Cubs who was a Lane grad, would frequently come back to the school and work with the kids and teach them baseball fundamentals. The only thing my dad ever told me about his youth was that Phil Cavaretta took the time to show him how to properly play first base. Many years later I had the chance to meet Mr. Cavaretta and had him sign a ball to my dad. For me, that was a pretty cool moment.

Lets hear your stories and post pictures if you feel like it.

richandsheryl
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm marking this to maybe share something later.

As for your story.Please never regret something you, should of, or could have done. It does not bode well with your inter being. Now I challenge you, from this day forward and the age of digital media, you need to record things for your Children and even your grand-children, and their kids. Because they too will be sitting here, at some day of their lives, possibility doing the same thing you are doing. And for that do you want to leave those questions unanswered..........I would hope not. Sorry for your lose, and I hope some day you can unearth something more of the those questions you have of your past............They will be memories too will share for your lifetime.

Thanks for sharing this with us ( well atleast me, since I never met my father ever) And my mother tells me I am, him in every sense of the word.
    Last edited by Pine Tar; 08-09-2014 at 01:24 AM.
    -Richard-

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome post...there are a lot of things I'd like to know about my dad that I've just never asked. My grandpa died of a heart attack when my dad was only 10 years old and I wish I knew more about him too. Now is the time to find out what I can.

Collecting University of Michigan alum 1/1's in football and basketball. I also collect Ken Griffey Jr. autos, Chicago Cubs and Blackhawks, and Kobe Bryant autos.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story. Thanks for sharing with us. I will have lunch with my Mom tomorrow on her 81st birthday and will use this as an inspiration to have a great time with her. Thank you.

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad passed 13 years ago at age 88 and I still have people tell me stories about him . I did find where he wrote 90% of my stories are true you find the 10 %
    Last edited by tramers; 08-09-2014 at 06:46 AM.

untouchabletechniq
     Techniq650
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was quite inspiring, I currently have both my parents in relatively good health and this almost helps me appreciate it more.

My "story" is a bit different, but I often feel the same way about my brother who passed away in 1993 when he was 18, I was 8. At 8 years old you know someone pretty well, but still only in the capacity of a child.. I've always wished I could understand more about him. I knew who he was to me, in my world, but I know very little about who he was to THE world. When it comes down to it all I really know is that he liked comic books, video games, hot rods (he had a 67 Cougar he somehow totaled), and he liked wrestling, specifically Ric Flair and British Bulldog and had a thing for Looney Tunes as Taz has always represented him to me, which I now have a tattoo of, right above a memorial cross with his name.
    Please take a look at my blog https://baseballpackaday.blogspot.com - rather self explanatory, I'd love any thoughts, comments, or opinions!
    Always looking for good pack deals and/or donations!

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was 10 years old when my Mother passed in 1993.

I too have wondered for years about how I never really got to know her as anyone other than my Mom, and poof, she's gone one day and I'll never have that chance to know her on an adult level.

Just something that has to be lived with, sadly. I think I've done a pretty good job dealing with it.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dad died in April 2012 at 84. In December of that year, he and my mom would have celebrated 60 years married. He had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and went quick after it was announced. The doctors were indicating maybe 6-12 months and I was hoping that he would hang on for the 60th wedding anniversary, but it was barely 3 months from the time I found out until he died.

Besides wondering things about him and his family that were now beyond answer, I thought about little things that are hardly important in the big picture, but are things that we do in life. For example, there were series shows he was watching on TV that he'd never see the conclusion of. I think one that stung a bit more was the Seahawks won the super bowl earlier this year and my dad was not around to celebrate with them and the City of Seattle. He was downtown Seattle right in the mix for the Sonics victory parade in 1979 and he was always a devoted follower of the hometown teams. I know he would have loved to see that SB victory!!

Quote Originally Posted by tramers View Post
    My dad passed 13 years ago at age 88 and I still have people tell me stories about him . I did find where he wrote 90% of my stories are true you find the 10 %

Mr. Enfuego
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for me, I was born in 79' and my dad died in 80' so I have no clue about my dad or anything. After speaking to my mom and my grandparents, I was told that his untimely death was a result of him protecting me from being hit with a glass bottle by some drunks. My parents were at a local park and my mom was pushing my carriage and some drunk flung a empty beer bottle almost hitting me and my dad went to confront the guy and it was a 4 on 1 thing and a second man pulled a knife and stabbed him in the chest. What I know about my dad was 25 when he died, he joined the Marines at age 20 and did 4 years. Here is a pic of my dad holding me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1407634631.623045.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	39420
    "Are you crying? Are you crying? There's no crying in Baseball!!" - Tom Hanks.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfuego79 View Post
    As for me, I was born in 79' and my dad died in 80' so I have no clue about my dad or anything. After speaking to my mom and my grandparents, I was told that his untimely death was a result of him protecting me from being hit with a glass bottle by some drunks. My parents were at a local park and my mom was pushing my carriage and some drunk flung a empty beer bottle almost hitting me and my dad went to confront the guy and it was a 4 on 1 thing and a second man pulled a knife and stabbed him in the chest. What I know about my dad was 25 when he died, he joined the Marines at age 20 and did 4 years. Here is a pic of my dad holding me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1407634631.623045.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	39420

It's great that you have that picture.

That makes me happy for you.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses guys. I am glad my post was able to inspire some of you. Why dont we make this a "living" thread and post things you just found out about your parent, brother or whoever that you never thought of asking. I would love to hear the interesting stories if you would care to share.

Enfuego...My heart goes out to you!

This thread has done a good deal to get me past the anniversary of my dad's passing. thanks to everyone and if you are up to it, post those stories.

Mr. Enfuego
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot fellas, but hopefully this thread helped out [MENTION=2442]mchenrycards[/MENTION] he was the one who broke the ice on this one.
    "Are you crying? Are you crying? There's no crying in Baseball!!" - Tom Hanks.

Featured Contributor
    Vintage Corner

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfuego79 View Post
    Thanks a lot fellas, but hopefully this thread helped out @mchenrycards he was the one who broke the ice on this one.
    You know, this thread did help. As I was wrting it out I was alternatling between laughter at some if the stuff my dad did and crying over missing him so much. I thank everyone for indulging me and hopefully this threadopened a few eyes to how important it is to live in the day and not put things off for a day that may never get here.

rockledgesportscards
     Casebusters99
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Mom and Dad 58th anniversary was yesterday and will be seeing them this weekend. They are about 1.5 hours away but still see them every chance I get. My dad is 82 and my mom turns 78 tomorrow.

Thanks for opening up..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Check out our Baseball singles at https://www.casebusters.com

<--------Check out our Group Breaks & Vintage Set breaks on ebay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast