User Tag List

Thread: What does an indentation do to a card's grade? 1973 Topps Schmidt RC Edition

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does an indentation do to a card's grade? 1973 Topps Schmidt RC Edition

Hey everyone,

I picked up a 1973 Topps Mike Schmidt RC today at a tag sale. The card is beautiful except I noticed that there is a tiny indentation below the nose of John Hilton on the card - it looks as if it was pricked by a pin, but not all the way through (in other words, there isn't a hole in the card, just a pin-sized indentation).

Is this card still worth grading or does the pinhole-size mark kill it? Any idea what it might grade based on the photo? You can see the mark in the photo.

Thanks and any insight is appreciated.
    Need the following 99 Fleer Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game Autographs to complete my set:
    Baseball - Reggie Jackson (HOF Inscription & Mr. October Inscription)
    Football - Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Joe Namath, Bart Starr
    Basketball - Always looking for Isiah Thomas Auto's (in an Indiana University uniform ONLY)

Jeff-sealevel
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is that on Cey's hat? Corners are not good. IMHO not gradable.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have it signed and slabbed PSA/DNA
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

amosrusie
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pickup!

Back in the day when "partying like it's 1999" was still in the future, I collected all the base issue cards for rhe Padres. I think I paid $50.00 for the John Hilton card!
    Scott

Did your favorite player ever hit 5 home runs in a doubleheader?

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah the joy and frustration of the multiplayer rookie cards of the past. I still have never picked up that damn Ken McMullen RC for the 63 Dodger set! I did get my 73 Cey though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Colbert 17 View Post
    Great pickup!

Back in the day when "partying like it's 1999" was still in the future, I collected all the base issue cards for rhe Padres. I think I paid $50.00 for the John Hilton card!
    I believe indentations affect the surface sub grade only, but I don't care about graded cards, so I am not qualified to answer. The corners will affect the grade too and as another member said, it's probably not worth grading if you are expecting a high grade.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without the indentation it's probably a 7. WIth it, and the printer's mark on Cey's hat, it might go down to a 4 or 5. But if I was in the market for a 4 or 5, this would be a pretty nice example that might get a slight premium over other 4s or 5s.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what did you pay, btw?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd44 View Post
    Without the indentation it's probably a 7. WIth it, and the printer's mark on Cey's hat, it might go down to a 4 or 5. But if I was in the market for a 4 or 5, this would be a pretty nice example that might get a slight premium over other 4s or 5s.
    Thanks for the responses everyone, but this one is exactly what I was looking for. I obviously knew I wasn't getting a 10, but it was a pretty nice older issue card (despite the Cey hat print spot) until I noticed the indentation.

Either way, it set me back a whopping $20 so I'm still happy.
    Need the following 99 Fleer Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game Autographs to complete my set:
    Baseball - Reggie Jackson (HOF Inscription & Mr. October Inscription)
    Football - Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Joe Namath, Bart Starr
    Basketball - Always looking for Isiah Thomas Auto's (in an Indiana University uniform ONLY)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd guess a 3.5- 4. Upper left corner is soft, plus like others have mentioned, the mark on Ceys hat and the indentation. Either way, you got a great deal for only $20!