Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do high volume ebay sellers think we believe their lies about shilling their own autctions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Folks, I've been at an auction for cards (beautiful '51 Bowman sets etc...) in which the AUCTIONEER bid on an item to get the bidding up!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Alright. You win. I can't argue with that. The only seller out of those three that I think is shady is Imac because he just seemed like a shady guy before his recent drama. Bad vibes guy.

I'm definitely not looking to "win" since I wish there was an easy way to clean this all up, I'm just not sure what it is...

WhatDoesTheFoxSay

Jun 28, 2014
Well since it isn't rocket science, explain it to us simpletons, Mr. MENSA

If you took my response to be sarcastic or condescending, it wasn't. But your smarmy response is quite childish.

All I mean is that a good business person finds ways to police it as best as possible. There is nothing fool-proof. Is it a lot of work? Yes. Anything worth doing is, in fact, a lot of work. It is important to find ways to deter it if you want your buyers to know you have integrity.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Fwiw I think Probstien is as legit as they come.

Completely agree. Like Topnotch, I too have used Probstein and have nothing but good things to say. I have also BOUGHT from him countless times. I'd count myself as both a loyal buyer as well as a seller who consigns with him - and I don't shill in any of these circumstances. Given the high volume he does, his response that he can't help/control it is very accurate.

bigboydsportscards3

Jan 21, 2010
Just an FYI, we rarely sell items on consignment. Used to do it more in the past, but we haven't sold an item on consignment in over a year. And we have never shilled an item!

Terry

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I would like to hear actual, viable, and realistic ideas as to HOW these big sellers can solve the issue of shilling in their auctions. It's easy to sit there and scream and yell to fix the system when it's not your problem to actually fix. Whole other situation to actually do it.

RedSoxSoul

Dec 20, 2012
Sharon, MA
I think anytime one is dealing with the mass public anything can seem like anything & some people will try to scam the system. I have 100% no questions asked refund and know that of the few refunds I've done the buyer bought at the top of the market (which was why I listed it when I did), saw one sell for less a day later, and immediately asked for a refund. As a seller I can block that buyer and move on. If I ever get big enough to consign policing shilling would seem to me to take more man hours than is feasible to make any money consigning. My $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
If you took my response to be sarcastic or condescending, it wasn't. But your smarmy response is quite childish.

All I mean is that a good business person finds ways to police it as best as possible. There is nothing fool-proof. Is it a lot of work? Yes. Anything worth doing is, in fact, a lot of work. It is important to find ways to deter it if you want your buyers to know you have integrity.

I asked for a solution. You didn't provide one. The best way to prevent it is to prevent it? WELL THEN!

WhatDoesTheFoxSay

Jun 28, 2014
I asked for a solution. You didn't provide one. The best way to prevent it is to prevent it? WELL THEN!

I don't know why you are trying to goad me but I won't fall for it. I'm not into attempted provoking of a pissing match type discussion, which I am assuming is your intent with the condescending type responses you have given me. I understand that you may be a big fan and supporter of Probstein and that's fine. If you don't mind being shilled (or being the beneficiary), then more power to you. Happy Collecting.

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I don't know why you are trying to goad me but I won't fall for it. I'm not into attempted provoking of a pissing match type discussion, which I am assuming is your intent with the condescending type responses you have given me. I understand that you may be a big fan and supporter of Probstein and that's fine. If you don't mind being shilled (or being the beneficiary), then more power to you. Happy Collecting.

He is sounding condescending because he's asked you for a solution a couple of times now and you can't provide one. One that makes any sense anyway. If you yourself cannot figure out a viable solution, how can you honestly sit there and demand others do it?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay

Jun 28, 2014
He is sounding condescending because he's asked you for a solution a couple of times now and you can't provide one. One that makes any sense anyway. If you yourself cannot figure out a viable solution, how can you honestly sit there and demand others do it?

Ok, I'll play. I can only state my opinion of suggestions or at least things I would do myself. (And before anyone wants to say "Then why don't you start your own blah blah blah..." I already have a good job and have no interest in owning an auction house)

1. Make it VERY clear that if you or a close friend/relative are highly suspected of shilling your own consignments, you are banned from consigning and blocked from bidding.
2. Make it VERY clear that if you win your own auction or found to have won your own consignments, you are banned from consigning and blocked from bidding. No "safety bids" are allowed. If you want your item to have a reserve, then it should be advised.
3. Randomly choose auctions or choose auctions you believe bidding to be suspect, look at the bidding history and feedback of the bidders. If it strongly suggests shilling, block those IDs that are suspected or probable shilling accounts.
4. IDs must be registered bidders. I believe this can still be done on ebay but I'm not 100% certain.
5. Be forthright if there is an auction customers are questioning. Advise what you have done to look into the situation and your conclusions. Ignoring complaints is bad customer service.
6. Do not allow bidders with less than "X" number of feedback. That will eliminate all of the "0" Feedback bidders and fake accounts.
7. Look at consignor's bid histories on all their auctions. When a bidder has 98% bidding history on a certain consignor's history, you can easily see what IDs they are using to shill their auctions. This is not difficult to do.
8. Make consignors sign an agreement that they will not attempt to alter the bidding of the items they submit. That is actually protection of the consignment business more than anything.

Those are what I thought of from the top of my head. I'm sure there must be more. Is it easy? No. Is it time consuming? Yes. And I am sure that it is seldom that an issue is black or white but all should be handled accordingly. There is and never will be a 100% solution but it is essential to have deterrents if you want to be seen as honest and with integrity.

I "get it" that consignors want shilling to happen. I "get it" those sending their stuff for consignment want shilling to happen. It's more money in their pockets. So, it is easy to ignore it because enough people are willing to put their hands over their eyes and just pretend it isn't happening. Buyers just have to be wise how they bid and use sniping services.

I'm also sure that this is not the first time people have discussed these issues and have offered their thoughts. We have all read the threads whether it be here or another message board. I didn't think it was necessary for me to start listing solutions but there you go. Now have fun ripping apart my list.

WhatDoesTheFoxSay

Jun 28, 2014
And to add...the "system" will never be fixed. There will always be people trying to beat the system. All a person can do is try to make deterrents and attempt to block some of it to the best of their ability. Better to do even just a little than nothing at all.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Ok, I'll play. I can only state my opinion of suggestions or at least things I would do myself. (And before anyone wants to say "Then why don't you start your own blah blah blah..." I already have a good job and have no interest in owning an auction house)

1. Make it VERY clear that if you or a close friend/relative are highly suspected of shilling your own consignments, you are banned from consigning and blocked from bidding.
2. Make it VERY clear that if you win your own auction or found to have won your own consignments, you are banned from consigning and blocked from bidding. No "safety bids" are allowed. If you want your item to have a reserve, then it should be advised.
3. Randomly choose auctions or choose auctions you believe bidding to be suspect, look at the bidding history and feedback of the bidders. If it strongly suggests shilling, block those IDs that are suspected or probable shilling accounts.
4. IDs must be registered bidders. I believe this can still be done on ebay but I'm not 100% certain.
5. Be forthright if there is an auction customers are questioning. Advise what you have done to look into the situation and your conclusions. Ignoring complaints is bad customer service.
6. Do not allow bidders with less than "X" number of feedback. That will eliminate all of the "0" Feedback bidders and fake accounts.
7. Look at consignor's bid histories on all their auctions. When a bidder has 98% bidding history on a certain consignor's history, you can easily see what IDs they are using to shill their auctions. This is not difficult to do.
8. Make consignors sign an agreement that they will not attempt to alter the bidding of the items they submit. That is actually protection of the consignment business more than anything.

Those are what I thought of from the top of my head. I'm sure there must be more. Is it easy? No. Is it time consuming? Yes. And I am sure that it is seldom that an issue is black or white but all should be handled accordingly. There is and never will be a 100% solution but it is essential to have deterrents if you want to be seen as honest and with integrity.

I "get it" that consignors want shilling to happen. I "get it" those sending their stuff for consignment want shilling to happen. It's more money in their pockets. So, it is easy to ignore it because enough people are willing to put their hands over their eyes and just pretend it isn't happening. Buyers just have to be wise how they bid and use sniping services.

I'm also sure that this is not the first time people have discussed these issues and have offered their thoughts. We have all read the threads whether it be here or another message board. I didn't think it was necessary for me to start listing solutions but there you go. Now have fun ripping apart my list.

Very well thought-out response

Members online

Latest posts