User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 99

Thread: Why do high volume ebay sellers think we believe their lies about shilling their own autctions

  1. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceLynnEvans75 View Post
    That's what he wants you to think. He's usually hiding behind the Nabisco cookies.
    Yall boys wild.

  2. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
    Well since it isn't rocket science, explain it to us simpletons, Mr. MENSA

    If you took my response to be sarcastic or condescending, it wasn't. But your smarmy response is quite childish.

    All I mean is that a good business person finds ways to police it as best as possible. There is nothing fool-proof. Is it a lot of work? Yes. Anything worth doing is, in fact, a lot of work. It is important to find ways to deter it if you want your buyers to know you have integrity.

  3. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    392
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with WhatDoes 100%. These sellers should at least agree there IS an issue and they will do what they can to fix it!

  4. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    3,994
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgilmo View Post
    Fwiw I think Probstien is as legit as they come.
    Completely agree. Like Topnotch, I too have used Probstein and have nothing but good things to say. I have also BOUGHT from him countless times. I'd count myself as both a loyal buyer as well as a seller who consigns with him - and I don't shill in any of these circumstances. Given the high volume he does, his response that he can't help/control it is very accurate.
    Need the following 99 Fleer Sports Illustrated Greats of the Game Autographs to complete my set:
    Baseball - Reggie Jackson (HOF Inscription & Mr. October Inscription)
    Football - Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Joe Namath, Bart Starr
    Basketball - Always looking for Isiah Thomas Auto's (in an Indiana University uniform ONLY)

  5. #50
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an FYI, we rarely sell items on consignment. Used to do it more in the past, but we haven't sold an item on consignment in over a year. And we have never shilled an item!

    Terry

  6. #51
    Senior Member RiceLynnEvans75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    3,264
     diamondlegends
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to hear actual, viable, and realistic ideas as to HOW these big sellers can solve the issue of shilling in their auctions. It's easy to sit there and scream and yell to fix the system when it's not your problem to actually fix. Whole other situation to actually do it.

  7. #52
    Junior Member RedSoxSoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    368
     crescentmooncards
     @BostonsportSAHD
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think anytime one is dealing with the mass public anything can seem like anything & some people will try to scam the system. I have 100% no questions asked refund and know that of the few refunds I've done the buyer bought at the top of the market (which was why I listed it when I did), saw one sell for less a day later, and immediately asked for a refund. As a seller I can block that buyer and move on. If I ever get big enough to consign policing shilling would seem to me to take more man hours than is feasible to make any money consigning. My $.02.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #53
    Senior Member JoshHamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    12,068
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatDoesTheFoxSay View Post
    If you took my response to be sarcastic or condescending, it wasn't. But your smarmy response is quite childish.

    All I mean is that a good business person finds ways to police it as best as possible. There is nothing fool-proof. Is it a lot of work? Yes. Anything worth doing is, in fact, a lot of work. It is important to find ways to deter it if you want your buyers to know you have integrity.
    I asked for a solution. You didn't provide one. The best way to prevent it is to prevent it? WELL THEN!

  9. #54
    Senior Member MansGame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    15,290
    Mentioned
    405 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing like a good call out shiller thread. Funny to see BigBoyd in here lol (smack forehead)
    The Albert Belle Collector
    Entire Private Collection: 2,627/2,891 - 90.9%


    ***Always hunting Albert Belle 1998 Tek Diffractors and 1999 Tek Golds***

    Accomplished my impossible quest for +90% in October 2016

  10. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Roseville CA
    Posts
    1,414
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MansGame View Post
    Nothing like a good call out shiller thread. Funny to see BigBoyd in here lol (smack forehead)
    Yeah. When I saw BigBoyd in here I hit my head too... LOL

  11. #56
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshHamilton View Post
    I asked for a solution. You didn't provide one. The best way to prevent it is to prevent it? WELL THEN!
    I don't know why you are trying to goad me but I won't fall for it. I'm not into attempted provoking of a pissing match type discussion, which I am assuming is your intent with the condescending type responses you have given me. I understand that you may be a big fan and supporter of Probstein and that's fine. If you don't mind being shilled (or being the beneficiary), then more power to you. Happy Collecting.

  12. #57
    Senior Member RiceLynnEvans75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    3,264
     diamondlegends
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatDoesTheFoxSay View Post
    I don't know why you are trying to goad me but I won't fall for it. I'm not into attempted provoking of a pissing match type discussion, which I am assuming is your intent with the condescending type responses you have given me. I understand that you may be a big fan and supporter of Probstein and that's fine. If you don't mind being shilled (or being the beneficiary), then more power to you. Happy Collecting.
    He is sounding condescending because he's asked you for a solution a couple of times now and you can't provide one. One that makes any sense anyway. If you yourself cannot figure out a viable solution, how can you honestly sit there and demand others do it?

  13. #58
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceLynnEvans75 View Post
    He is sounding condescending because he's asked you for a solution a couple of times now and you can't provide one. One that makes any sense anyway. If you yourself cannot figure out a viable solution, how can you honestly sit there and demand others do it?
    Ok, I'll play. I can only state my opinion of suggestions or at least things I would do myself. (And before anyone wants to say "Then why don't you start your own blah blah blah..." I already have a good job and have no interest in owning an auction house)

    1. Make it VERY clear that if you or a close friend/relative are highly suspected of shilling your own consignments, you are banned from consigning and blocked from bidding.
    2. Make it VERY clear that if you win your own auction or found to have won your own consignments, you are banned from consigning and blocked from bidding. No "safety bids" are allowed. If you want your item to have a reserve, then it should be advised.
    3. Randomly choose auctions or choose auctions you believe bidding to be suspect, look at the bidding history and feedback of the bidders. If it strongly suggests shilling, block those IDs that are suspected or probable shilling accounts.
    4. IDs must be registered bidders. I believe this can still be done on ebay but I'm not 100% certain.
    5. Be forthright if there is an auction customers are questioning. Advise what you have done to look into the situation and your conclusions. Ignoring complaints is bad customer service.
    6. Do not allow bidders with less than "X" number of feedback. That will eliminate all of the "0" Feedback bidders and fake accounts.
    7. Look at consignor's bid histories on all their auctions. When a bidder has 98% bidding history on a certain consignor's history, you can easily see what IDs they are using to shill their auctions. This is not difficult to do.
    8. Make consignors sign an agreement that they will not attempt to alter the bidding of the items they submit. That is actually protection of the consignment business more than anything.

    Those are what I thought of from the top of my head. I'm sure there must be more. Is it easy? No. Is it time consuming? Yes. And I am sure that it is seldom that an issue is black or white but all should be handled accordingly. There is and never will be a 100% solution but it is essential to have deterrents if you want to be seen as honest and with integrity.

    I "get it" that consignors want shilling to happen. I "get it" those sending their stuff for consignment want shilling to happen. It's more money in their pockets. So, it is easy to ignore it because enough people are willing to put their hands over their eyes and just pretend it isn't happening. Buyers just have to be wise how they bid and use sniping services.

    I'm also sure that this is not the first time people have discussed these issues and have offered their thoughts. We have all read the threads whether it be here or another message board. I didn't think it was necessary for me to start listing solutions but there you go. Now have fun ripping apart my list.

  14. #59
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to add...the "system" will never be fixed. There will always be people trying to beat the system. All a person can do is try to make deterrents and attempt to block some of it to the best of their ability. Better to do even just a little than nothing at all.

  15. #60
    Senior Member JoshHamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    12,068
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatDoesTheFoxSay View Post
    Ok, I'll play. I can only state my opinion of suggestions or at least things I would do myself. (And before anyone wants to say "Then why don't you start your own blah blah blah..." I already have a good job and have no interest in owning an auction house)

    1. Make it VERY clear that if you or a close friend/relative are highly suspected of shilling your own consignments, you are banned from consigning and blocked from bidding.
    2. Make it VERY clear that if you win your own auction or found to have won your own consignments, you are banned from consigning and blocked from bidding. No "safety bids" are allowed. If you want your item to have a reserve, then it should be advised.
    3. Randomly choose auctions or choose auctions you believe bidding to be suspect, look at the bidding history and feedback of the bidders. If it strongly suggests shilling, block those IDs that are suspected or probable shilling accounts.
    4. IDs must be registered bidders. I believe this can still be done on ebay but I'm not 100% certain.
    5. Be forthright if there is an auction customers are questioning. Advise what you have done to look into the situation and your conclusions. Ignoring complaints is bad customer service.
    6. Do not allow bidders with less than "X" number of feedback. That will eliminate all of the "0" Feedback bidders and fake accounts.
    7. Look at consignor's bid histories on all their auctions. When a bidder has 98% bidding history on a certain consignor's history, you can easily see what IDs they are using to shill their auctions. This is not difficult to do.
    8. Make consignors sign an agreement that they will not attempt to alter the bidding of the items they submit. That is actually protection of the consignment business more than anything.

    Those are what I thought of from the top of my head. I'm sure there must be more. Is it easy? No. Is it time consuming? Yes. And I am sure that it is seldom that an issue is black or white but all should be handled accordingly. There is and never will be a 100% solution but it is essential to have deterrents if you want to be seen as honest and with integrity.

    I "get it" that consignors want shilling to happen. I "get it" those sending their stuff for consignment want shilling to happen. It's more money in their pockets. So, it is easy to ignore it because enough people are willing to put their hands over their eyes and just pretend it isn't happening. Buyers just have to be wise how they bid and use sniping services.

    I'm also sure that this is not the first time people have discussed these issues and have offered their thoughts. We have all read the threads whether it be here or another message board. I didn't think it was necessary for me to start listing solutions but there you go. Now have fun ripping apart my list.
    Very well thought-out response

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •